Topics

1937 Great Northern AAR Handbrake Wheel

radiodial868

Any thoughts as to manufacturer of this Brake Wheel?  I built this Sunshine 40' "T&G sided AAR style Great Northern" kit in the original order vertical shaft handbrake configuration, but the included wheels look nothing like this so was going to see what else was out there. Figured a name was a good place to start.
RJ Dial
Burlingame, Ca

Gene Deimling

The drawing I have shows it as a Universal.

Gene Deimling

Bill Welch

That looks very much like one of the three type of brakes wheels Tangent has on the tank car detail sprue, the one with three brake wheel. Brake appears to be square also.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

See my message  #157559 for photos. . .

Bill Welch

radiodial868

Bill, thanks for 2 things:
  1. A heads-up about that shaft being square!  I recall posts about square shafts, and somehow still missed that I have one here!
  2. A heads-up about the Tangent brakewheels. Ordered a couple of sets attached to some of those K-Brake sprues. $4 shipping is rare nowadays.
RJ DiaI
Burlingame, CA

radiodial868

Thought I had some square styrene that would work.  At a scale 2 1/2" square, looks waaay too big. What source did you have for small amounts of the stuff?
Thx,
RJ Dial
Burlingame, Ca