Intermountain display at Collinsville

Eric Mumper

Group,

Thanks for the insights from the Collinsville meet.  On the Intermountain table, did they happen to have display models of the 1958 cuft covered hopper with the type 3 roof?  These were announced quite a while ago before the Chinese factory issues.

Eric Mumper

Ed Hawkins

On Jul 30, 2019, at 2:05 PM, Eric Mumper <eric.mumper@...> wrote:

Thanks for the insights from the Collinsville meet.  On the Intermountain table, did they happen to have display models of the 1958 cuft covered hopper with the type 3 roof?  These were announced quite a while ago before the Chinese factory issues.

Eric,
No joy yet.

I inquired with Gene Fusco about the project because I have been one who pushed for it, along with Al Hoffman. Both of us pushed & provided the necessary information for selfish reasons of MoPac and Burlington that used the "type 3” hatch cover & locking bar design.

Given that reservations have been sufficient to proceed into production, HO models would likely have been released by now if not for the Chinese plant closure one year ago. Gene indicated the models are still “a go” and are projected for production in 2020.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

gary laakso

Thanks for the update, Ed.  You have moved modeling forward and we are all grateful for your efforts not to mention all the superglue sales you caused!

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

[...]

I am resurrecting an email from a couple of years ago as it is now relevant again.  Intermountain has released the 1958 cuft covered hopper in multiple paint schemes with the type 3 hatches and latching mechanism.  Unfortunately they come with the riveted flat panel roof - a roof never used in combination with type 3 designs.  They should have the Murphy panel roof with the standing seams.  There is some good news as Dave Lotz at Q Connection had a run of Q cars with a built date of 1961 and painted in gray done at the same time.  Apparently he caught the error and these cars have the correct roof.

For those fussy enough to get this right the Yarmouth roof kit makes for a good replacement.  The resin roof actually looks better than the molded one because of the ability to have all the rivets cast on.  To get the Intermountain roof off the running board supports need to be bent back and then the car put in the freezer for a while.  The old roof should pop right off which will save the lettering and make for an easy conversion.

Eric Mumper

Brian Shumaker

Sigh,
Again, I’d have to buy a $50 car only to disassemble it and make it right. KITS PLEASE!!!

Scott H. Haycock

Brian, please contact me off list at shhaycockATcomcastDOTnet.

Scott Haycock
ent

On 08/10/2021 1:32 PM Brian Shumaker <brian.shumaker@...> wrote:

Sigh,
Again, I’d have to buy a $50 car only to disassemble it and make it right. KITS PLEASE!!!

Frank Hodina

If anyone is interested I have the pattern for the Sunshine coversion. Wouldn't take much to turn it into a mini-kit

Frank Hodina
Resin Car Works

All,

There is the Yarmouth mini kit for Type 3 roofs also.  See:

AC&F 1958 cu. ft. Covered Hopper Roof Type 3 - Yarmouth Model Works

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Ken Adams

Was there any mention of the kit version?  I ordered the kits almost 5 years ago and they were still listed on the IM website as coming.  SP had a large number of the ACF built hoppers (used for cement service to pave California) with a full side sheet dating from 1948.
--
Ken Adams

Nelson Moyer

You have my yes vote.

Nelson Moyer

If anyone is interested I have the pattern for the Sunshine coversion. Wouldn't take much to turn it into a mini-kit

Frank Hodina
Resin Car Works

Eric Mumper

Group,

My previous post contained a bit of an error that should have been obvious to a CB&Q modeler such as myself.  It turns out at least one series of cars was built with a flat panel welded roof and the type 3 hatch and latching mechanism.  The first group of Q cars built at Galesburg and numbered 180000 to 180099 were so equipped.  They also had Klasing hand brakes which were once offered as Shapeways parts from Resin Car Works but are now available as fine styrene moldings from Tangent.

Eric Mumper