Topics

P&LE gons, and nice ingot mold loads

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Gang;

Nice P&LE gon shot. These are the big ingot molds they used at USS Homestead:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.1292.RR/from_search/073e3079268f9048485fa504df4f84f5-990

I think the RIX molds are similar. I remember the new molds being shipped in were a combo of black, new rust and mold release white, in color.

Elden Gatwood

Edward

Also interesting, the chalk marked (?) reporting marks on the roof of the Rock Island boxcar in the foreground.

Ed Bommer

Benjamin Hom

Ed Bommer wrote:
"Also interesting, the chalk marked (?) reporting marks on the roof of the Rock Island boxcar in the foreground.

The chalked reporting marks on the boxcar makes me believe that this photo is documentation for an accident investigation.

Ben Hom

mopacfirst

Notice the hand car just barely visible on the ground to the left, evidently set off the track.

Ron Merrick

Eric Hansmann

I see the ingots are loaded two different ways in two gondolas.

Note the left over debris in the empty gons, too.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Nice P&LE gon shot. These are the big ingot molds they used at USS Homestead:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.1292.RR/from_search/073e3079268f9048485fa504df4f84f5-990

I think the RIX molds are similar. I remember the new molds being shipped in were a combo of black, new rust and mold release white, in color.

Elden Gatwood

Tim O'Connor

GYPSUM or TRANSCO running board on Rock Island 25189? :-)

Built by Pullman Standard in 1946, just three years old here.

Tim O'

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

James E Kubanick

These were a common sight during the '50s and '60s when I lived in Pittsburgh. The molds were always loaded two to a car and placed over the trucks, due to their weight. And, yes, the RIX molds are a good representation.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

brianleppert@att.net

Tim O'Connor wrote "GYPSUM or TRANSCO running board on Rock Island 25189?"

And isn't that a Morton lateral r.b.?

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV