Topics

Gondolas converted into TOFC cars

dale florence <dwwesley@...>

 :Does anyone have information on Gondolas that were converted  into TOFC cars, or pictures, from the early 1950's.. I want to build some, but cannot find information, or pictures.

Dale Florence

Tim O'Connor

On 8/1/2019 10:35 PM, dale florence via Groups.Io wrote:
Does anyone have information on Gondolas that were converted  into TOFC cars, or pictures, from the early 1950's.. I want to build some, but cannot find information, or pictures.

Dale Florence

Sterling, Massachusetts

dale florence <dwwesley@...>

Tim,

Thank you for the R. I. Gondola TOFC Cars.  I am guessing that the car you built was from a Tichey  war emergency car. Looks very good.

Thanks for the pictures
Dale Florence

On Friday, August 2, 2019, 10:15:59 AM EDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

On 8/1/2019 10:35 PM, dale florence via Groups.Io wrote:
Does anyone have information on Gondolas that were converted  into TOFC cars, or pictures, from the early 1950's.. I want to build some, but cannot find information, or pictures.

Dale Florence

Sterling, Massachusetts

Richard Townsend

The CB&Q converted some composite 40’ gons to TOFC service and they were quite unsuccessful. The Burlington Route Historical Society has a “data sheet” (#12) that has a photo.

On Aug 2, 2019, at 8:21 AM, dale florence via Groups.Io <dwwesley@...> wrote:

Tim,

Thank you for the R. I. Gondola TOFC Cars.  I am guessing that the car you built was from a Tichey  war emergency car. Looks very good.

Thanks for the pictures
Dale Florence

On Friday, August 2, 2019, 10:15:59 AM EDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

On 8/1/2019 10:35 PM, dale florence via Groups.Io wrote:
Does anyone have information on Gondolas that were converted  into TOFC cars, or pictures, from the early 1950's.. I want to build some, but cannot find information, or pictures.

Dale Florence

Sterling, Massachusetts

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

My all-time favorite. A Jack Beal photo.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Friday, August 2, 2019 at 9:15 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Gondolas converted into TOFC cars

On 8/1/2019 10:35 PM, dale florence via Groups.Io wrote:

Does anyone have information on Gondolas that were converted  into TOFC cars, or pictures, from the early 1950's.. I want to build some, but cannot find information, or pictures.

Dale Florence

Sterling, Massachusetts

dale florence <dwwesley@...>

Tim,

I have one question, do you know the date these cars built, or rebuilt?

Dale Florence

On Friday, August 2, 2019, 10:21:11 AM EDT, dale florence via Groups.Io <dwwesley@...> wrote:

Tim,

Thank you for the R. I. Gondola TOFC Cars.  I am guessing that the car you built was from a Tichey  war emergency car. Looks very good.

Thanks for the pictures
Dale Florence

On Friday, August 2, 2019, 10:15:59 AM EDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

On 8/1/2019 10:35 PM, dale florence via Groups.Io wrote:
Does anyone have information on Gondolas that were converted  into TOFC cars, or pictures, from the early 1950's.. I want to build some, but cannot find information, or pictures.

Dale Florence

Sterling, Massachusetts

RICH CHAPIN

That's a Great Photo!! THX!!!

Rich Chapin

RICH CHAPIN

Railmodel Journal Sept 1989 says RI converted 222 if those outside braced gons into piggy flats. Doesn't say when, but the pic with that article says "circa 1962"

Rich Chapin

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

The picture I posted had 1959 Cadillacs. And the RI Color Guide by Steve Hile says the conversions started in 1958.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "RICH CHAPIN via Groups.Io" <rwc27q@...>
Date: Friday, August 2, 2019 at 5:51 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Railmodel Journal Sept 1989 says RI converted 222 if those outside braced gons into piggy flats. Doesn't say when, but the pic with that article says "circa 1962"

Rich Chapin

rwitt_2000

Another RI  one.

The B&O did COFC using the O-27 gondola. I have a diagram, but no photo.

Bob Witt

rwitt_2000

Found a very poor photo, - Bob Witt

Tim O'Connor

Dale

There are TWO cars in the 93600 to 93649 series in the 1959 ORER.
But there is no "asterisk" or other indication that this is a new
entry in the ORER, so they could be earlier than 1959.

By 1963 there are 13 50-2-IL cars listed, 93550 to 93599 (11 cars)
and 93600 and 93601 (2 cars).

I have no photos of the 93550 or 93600 series, so they may be rebuilds
of older cars like the 50 ft composite gondolas of the 1930's.

The 93700 series is not listed in 1959. By 1963 there were 234 cars
in series 93702 to 93936. Cars 93700 and 93701 were 70 ton capacity
TOFC flats but otherwise are the same as the others.

Tim O'Connor

On 8/2/2019 3:56 PM, dale florence via Groups.Io wrote:
Tim,

I have one question, do you know the date these cars built, or rebuilt?

Dale Florence

On Friday, August 2, 2019, 10:21:11 AM EDT, dale florence via Groups.Io <dwwesley@...> wrote:

Tim,

Thank you for the R. I. Gondola TOFC Cars.  I am guessing that the car you built was from a Tichey  war emergency car. Looks very good.

Thanks for the pictures
Dale Florence

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

How about this one?

On 8/2/2019 9:48 PM, rwitt_2000 via Groups.Io wrote:
Another RI  one.

The B&O did COFC using the O-27 gondola. I have a diagram, but no photo.

Bob Witt

Sterling, Massachusetts

Penny Simunic

Has anyone tried a kit from model tech studios?
Just purchased a soda fountain kit with no instructions.
Do I treat it as a resin or plastic for painting?
Thanks in advance.
RonS

rwitt_2000

Nice photo Tim. Those B&O TOFCEE service "flat cars" were made by rebuilding the relatively new "1955" underframes from the M-15 wagon-tops.  They did configurations for TOFC and COFC.

Bob Witt

Tim O'Connor

Huh. The 47 foot length made me think they were USRA gondolas. The M-15 was 40 feet right?

On 8/3/2019 3:06 PM, rwitt_2000 via Groups.Io wrote:
Nice photo Tim. Those B&O TOFCEE service "flat cars" were made by rebuilding the relatively new "1955" underframes from the M-15 wagon-tops.  They did configurations for TOFC and COFC.

Bob Witt

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

BoB