Topics

Another HD flat

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

One of my favorites, stubby Carnegie-Illinois Steel (USSteel), with a whopping big ingot - Homestead Works, 1946

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A943.46974.GN/from_search/073e3079268f9048485fa504df4f84f5-1821

Elden Gatwood

David Soderblom

It says it’s an ingot, but it looks rough, like concrete. And why the asymmetric shape?

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA
drs@...

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

I have seen others like this, that were for creating things like large mill rolls, flywheels, and such. They didn't use regular molds for these ingots, but made up special breakable molds, once poured a cooled, were broken to release the ingot.

These did not go out in interchange; I never saw one on somebody else's rails.

Elden Gatwood

It says it’s an ingot, but it looks rough, like concrete. And why the asymmetric shape?

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA
drs@...

Daniel A. Mitchell

Sorry!  It’s probably true that many of the USERS of such large machines were also in the industrial east, but not ALL. Some HAD to go “out in interchange” … or be transferred from one car to another (unlikely). There were only a few places in the country where such things could be made, and they had to be shipped to wherever they were needed.

The huge items needed for the Manhattan Project (“Jumbo"), and the Palomar 200” telescope mirror being good examples of huge items being moved most of the way across the country. Not to mention the big battleship guns … these things moved back and forth across the country before, and during WWII; and for some time after. These things had short service lives and had to be relined. Most all the big 16”-gunned battleships were in the Pacific, and the only yard that could reline their guns was on the east coast. Such movements from Washington State and California to the east and back were common.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Aug 2, 2019, at 12:43 PM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

I have seen others like this, that were for creating things like large mill rolls, flywheels, and such.  They didn't use regular molds for these ingots, but made up special breakable molds, once poured a cooled, were broken to release the ingot.

These did not go out in interchange; I never saw one on somebody else's rails.

Elden Gatwood

It says it’s an ingot, but it looks rough, like concrete.  And why the asymmetric shape?

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA
drs@...

Daniel A. Mitchell

From Palomar Observatory document …

"On March 26, 1936, the mirror blank began its 16-day trip by rail from Corning to the Caltech optical shop in Pasadena. The telescope project captured the public’s imagination, and all across the country thousands of people lined the train tracks to watch it pass.

It was shipped on NYC well-flat No. 499010. Many photos of this movement can be found online.

The glass blank did arrive in Pasadena and went to Caltech optical shop. It stayed there for a couple years while the mirror was ground and polished. The completed mirror was then trucked up the mountain to its present location at the observatory. The whole story can be found by searching at Caltech-Palomar and the Corning Glass Works.

The mechanical parts of the telescope mount were shipped through he Panama Canal to the west coast. They were much bigger and heavier than the mirror.

This 200” telescope remained the largest in the world for many years. Though now surpassed, it’s still a respectable instrument today.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Aug 2, 2019, at 3:59 PM, Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:

[...]

This is outside of this group’s realm, I admit, but, as an astronomer, the 200-inch (5-meter) was an amazing instrument that never really realized its potential.  It’s mostly the site, Mount Palomar, which does not have all that great of observing conditions.  This was proved, without doubt, by the Soviet 6-meter project in the Caucasus: it had pitiful performance with its conventional technology.

It wasn’t until the Keck telescope on Mauna Kea in the 1990s that there was a major advance, and in two realms:
  • Mauna Kea is the single best place on the earth to put a telescope.  No exceptions.  There are others that are close, but Mauna Kea tops them all.  Bear that in mind when you read current news.  It has to do with minimal water vapor overhead (critical for infrared observations) and so-called “seeing,” or image quality, which, at Mauna Kea is the very best.
  • The Keck telescopes used segmented mirrors, controlled by sensors and computers to make them into a single, phased surface.  That was revolutionary.

How do I know?  I was there fir the first science observations with Keck in November, 1993.  I’ve used it since and have used many more conventional telescopes.  Keck is/was exceptional, and redefined the state of the art.

And yet, the movement of the 200-inch mirror was clearly a major PR success.  It was the Hubble Telescope of its time.

David Soderblom, Astronomer
Space Telescope Science Institute
Baltimore MD USA

Daniel A. Mitchell

Indeed, "outside of this group’s realm", and I mostly agree with you about Palomar. However, don’t sell it short … it was a fair site when first built … not at all currently. Still, for MANY years it was the world’s premier telescope, and contributed greatly to our understanding of the universe. Also, as I understand it, the Russian 236” telescope was troubled mostly by its alt-azimuth mount. The technology of the time was not up to that task. Nowadays most all big telescopes use such a mount, so the Russian giant was too far ahead of its time. And yes, it did have optical problems  from its huge one-piece mirror.

Someday I’d like to visit Mauna Kea and see the Keck telescopes. The largest I’ve ever worked with was a 52”, though I’ve observed through a 72”, and own a (somewhat) portable 18” equatorial.

Dan Mitchell

On Aug 2, 2019, at 7:45 PM, David Soderblom <drs@...> wrote:

This is outside of this group’s realm,

StephenK

Athearn made a blue box kit of a similar car many moons ago.   They produced a couple of RTR runs  of it, but none for about ten years or so.   And, of course, I have no info as to how accurate a model it was.....

Steve Kay