From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Daniel A. Mitchell
Sent: Friday, August 2, 2019 10:44 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Another HD flat CB&Q

Could be frames for cold-heading (forging) machines.

Dan MItchell
==========

On Aug 2, 2019, at 9:06 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@usace.army.mil> wrote:

Found another photo of a GSC HD flat car, with an outbound load at Mesta Machine 1959:

Blockedhttps://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.6270.RR/from_search/073e3079268f9048485fa504df4f84f5-1650

Blockedhttps://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.6270.RR/viewer

Any idea who the load was for? They look like bodies for HD shears.

Thanks!

Elden Gatwood

Daniel A. Mitchell

Just a guess, but I’m slightly familiar with these machines … my dad worked for Ring Screw Works in Detroit. He took me there a few times to see where he worked. They had a bunch of cold-headers, including several very large machines. These beasts were buried in pits in the floor, and each time they’d strike they'd shake the whole neighborhood. Literally!

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Aug 2, 2019, at 11:09 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@usace.army.mil> wrote:

Dan;

Good guess! That could be it.

Elden Gatwood

Could be frames for cold-heading (forging) machines.

Dan MItchell
==========

On Aug 2, 2019, at 9:06 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@usace.army.mil> wrote:

Found another photo of a GSC HD flat car, with an outbound load at Mesta Machine 1959:

Blockedhttps://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.6270.RR/from_search/073e3079268f9048485fa504df4f84f5-1650

Blockedhttps://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.6270.RR/viewer

Any idea who the load was for? They look like bodies for HD shears.

Thanks!

Elden Gatwood

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

VERY cool!

Growing up in Pittsburgh, you were besieged by the cacophony of noise, air pollutants, and smells you would never get away with now.

Elden Gatwood

BlockedBlockedhttps://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.6270.RR/from_search/073e3079268f9048485fa504df4f84f5-1650

BlockedBlockedhttps://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.6270.RR/viewer