Topics

Monon

Armand Premo

When did the Monon adopt the "Banner Lettering " on their freight cars? Armand Premo

william darnaby

If you mean "The Hoosier Line" on the light grey...yes it was gray... band across the top of boxcars, that would be 1952.

Bill Darnaby

On Saturday, August 3, 2019, 09:47:35 AM CDT, Armand Premo <arm.p.prem@...> wrote:

When did the Monon adopt the "Banner Lettering " on their freight cars? Armand Premo

Armand Premo

Thank you.  .Armand Premo

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 12:19 PM william darnaby <wdarnaby@...> wrote:
If you mean "The Hoosier Line" on the light grey...yes it was gray... band across the top of boxcars, that would be 1952.

Bill Darnaby

On Saturday, August 3, 2019, 09:47:35 AM CDT, Armand Premo <arm.p.prem@...> wrote:

When did the Monon adopt the "Banner Lettering " on their freight cars? Armand Premo

Bill Keene

We're the lettered with "The Hoosier Line" in the light gray background in assigned service or free runners?

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 3, 2019, at 9:19 AM, william darnaby <wdarnaby@...> wrote:

If you mean "The Hoosier Line" on the light grey...yes it was gray... band across the top of boxcars, that would be 1952.

Bill Darnaby

On Saturday, August 3, 2019, 09:47:35 AM CDT, Armand Premo <arm.p.prem@...> wrote:

When did the Monon adopt the "Banner Lettering " on their freight cars? Armand Premo

This car, repainted in 1952, might have been in assigned service.

On 8/4/2019 12:10 AM, Bill Keene via Groups.Io wrote:
We're the lettered with "The Hoosier Line" in the light gray background in assigned service or free runners?

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 3, 2019, at 9:19 AM, william darnaby <wdarnaby@...> wrote:

If you mean "The Hoosier Line" on the light grey...yes it was gray... band across the top of boxcars, that would be 1952.

Bill Darnaby

On Saturday, August 3, 2019, 09:47:35 AM CDT, Armand Premo <arm.p.prem@...> wrote:

When did the Monon adopt the "Banner Lettering " on their freight cars? Armand Premo

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Keene

Tim,

Thanks for the response. Yes. Most likely in assigned service.

My question was more about the Monon box cars with the lettering scheme seen in this photo from the Fallen Flags web site.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 3, 2019, at 11:33 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

This car, repainted in 1952, might have been in assigned service.

On 8/4/2019 12:10 AM, Bill Keene via Groups.Io wrote:

We're the lettered with "The Hoosier Line" in the light gray background in assigned service or free runners?

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 3, 2019, at 9:19 AM, william darnaby <wdarnaby@...> wrote:

If you mean "The Hoosier Line" on the light grey...yes it was gray... band across the top of boxcars, that would be 1952.

Bill Darnaby

On Saturday, August 3, 2019, 09:47:35 AM CDT, Armand Premo <arm.p.prem@...> wrote:

When did the Monon adopt the "Banner Lettering " on their freight cars? Armand Premo

Sterling, Massachusetts <monon_9161 40ft_SD_box AAR-1937 white-band-paint unusual-logo HighSpeedMerchandiseService.JParker 33269.jpg>

Bill,

Yes, those were free running general service boxcars.

However, some 50 footers with this scheme seem to have been in assigned service between the RCA factories in Monticello and Bloomington Indiana.  There was a similar scheme with the words "HIGH SPEED MERCHANIDISE SERVICE" in the light gray band that were in LCL service from the early 50s until the late 50s.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Bill Keene

Mike,

Thank you for the free runner confirmation. I will plan to add one of these cars to my modest freight car fleet.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 4, 2019, at 1:56 PM, Michael Aufderheide <MononInMonon@...> wrote:

Bill,

Yes, those were free running general service boxcars.

However, some 50 footers with this scheme seem to have been in assigned service between the RCA factories in Monticello and Bloomington Indiana.  There was a similar scheme with the words "HIGH SPEED MERCHANIDISE SERVICE" in the light gray band that were in LCL service from the early 50s until the late 50s.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Allan Smith

I Have conductors lists for the Sierra RR in 1952-1954 and three Monon CIL Boxcars show up on those lists  Cars 355,478 & 9251.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On ‎Sunday‎, ‎August‎ ‎4‎, ‎2019‎ ‎02‎:‎25‎:‎16‎ ‎PM‎ ‎PDT, Bill Keene via Groups.Io <bill41@...> wrote:

Mike,

Thank you for the free runner confirmation. I will plan to add one of these cars to my modest freight car fleet.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 4, 2019, at 1:56 PM, Michael Aufderheide <MononInMonon@...> wrote:

Bill,

Yes, those were free running general service boxcars.

However, some 50 footers with this scheme seem to have been in assigned service between the RCA factories in Monticello and Bloomington Indiana.  There was a similar scheme with the words "HIGH SPEED MERCHANIDISE SERVICE" in the light gray band that were in LCL service from the early 50s until the late 50s.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

steve_wintner

Decals are available for this scheme: http://www.greatdecals.com/Switzer.htm#301n

william darnaby

The Monon Historical Society offered these cars in the Merchandise Service paint.  Only the 10' IH 1937 type cars...Monon's 9000 series...got this scheme.  I don't know if the company store still has them.  Maybe ebay?

Bill Darnaby

On Sunday, August 4, 2019, 04:25:15 PM CDT, Bill Keene via Groups.Io <bill41@...> wrote:

Mike,

Thank you for the free runner confirmation. I will plan to add one of these cars to my modest freight car fleet.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 4, 2019, at 1:56 PM, Michael Aufderheide <MononInMonon@...> wrote:

Bill,

Yes, those were free running general service boxcars.

However, some 50 footers with this scheme seem to have been in assigned service between the RCA factories in Monticello and Bloomington Indiana.  There was a similar scheme with the words "HIGH SPEED MERCHANIDISE SERVICE" in the light gray band that were in LCL service from the early 50s until the late 50s.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

G.J. Irwin

The Monon Historical Society uses "The Caboose" train store for its sales now...

https://mycaboose.com/lists?society_id=1

While they have a nice selection of HO Scale items and publications, the "Merchandise Service" boxcar isn't among them.

The MRH-TS also did the same car in N Scale from Micro-Trains and I'm still kicking myself for missing it.

Cheers,
George Irwin

Richard Brennan

At 09:19 AM 8/3/2019, william darnaby wrote:
If you mean "The Hoosier Line" on the light grey...yes it was gray... band across the top of boxcars, that would be 1952.
Ok I'll bite:
Was the band with "The Hoosier Line" -ALWAYS- light grey..? ...or did some re-paints get done in white?

...and just how light was the 'light' grey? i.e. one drop of grey in a bottle of white???
In several color photos from the late 1950s... both the band and the lettering seem to have weathered-out to nearly the same shade.

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

Tim O'Connor

Someone needs to cite a painting specification diagram or document. There
is no other way to avoid the "take your best shot" approach.

Someone mentioned "artificial aluminum" - If you've ever seen a UPS trailer,
then you know that color. That is NOT the color applied to Southern diesels,
nor to Monon box cars.

Tim O'Connor

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Richard Brennan

Agree completely...
Opinions are interesting, but some normative documentation is needed.

--------------------

At 08:24 AM 8/5/2019, Tim O'Connor wrote:

[...]

The band was light gray out of the paint shop and it can definitely be seen in photos, even black and white ones, of recently painted cars.  Having said that, however, it quickly chalked to white and everyone models it that way even the manufacturers.

Bill Darnaby

On Monday, August 5, 2019, 10:11:44 AM CDT, Richard Brennan <rbrennan@...> wrote:

At 09:19 AM 8/3/2019, william darnaby wrote:
>If you mean "The Hoosier Line" on the light grey...yes it was
>gray... band across the top of boxcars, that would be 1952.

Ok I'll bite:
Was the band with "The Hoosier Line" -ALWAYS- light grey..?  ...or
did some re-paints get done in white?

...and just how light was the 'light' grey?  i.e. one drop of grey
in a bottle of white???
In several color photos from the late 1950s... both the band and the
lettering seem to have weathered-out to nearly the same shade.

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

Tim,

Attached is an example of what Bill is talking about; obviously gray when compared to the white lettering. This is a repaint of an early 40s car.

Although desirable to have railroad documents, Monon modelers have to content themselves with this sort of 'proof'.  Most of the car department papers were destroyed.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Bob Webber

Were any of these cars with bands painted this way from the builder? (Builder records may be available - for instance, the grey on Monon covered hoppers can be located).

Is this "imitation aluminum" such as the CB&Q used on their F units ("Gray backs")?

If the band is the same as other cars (caboose, ?) were they "as built"?

At 11:06 AM 8/5/2019, Michael Aufderheide wrote:
Tim,

Attached is an example of what Bill is talking about; obviously gray when compared to the white lettering. This is a repaint of an early 40s car.

Although desirable to have railroad documents, Monon modelers have to content themselves with this sort of 'proof'. Most of the car department papers were destroyed.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide
Bob Webber

Bill Keene

Hello All,

Anyone have a recommendation of a kit or model to use as a starting point for modeling this car?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 5, 2019, at 9:06 AM, Michael Aufderheide <MononInMonon@...> wrote:

Tim,

Attached is an example of what Bill is talking about; obviously gray when compared to the white lettering. This is a repaint of an early 40s car.

Although desirable to have railroad documents, Monon modelers have to content themselves with this sort of 'proof'.  Most of the car department papers were destroyed.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide <9046-1.jpg>

Tim O'Connor

Like SP "lettering gray" applied to all locomotives and passenger cars
until the 1980's that looked white in bright sunlight and faded to white
as well. Model makers finally started applying the correct color 20 to 25
years ago.