From: Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>
Date: 8/23/19 8:50 AM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] [PassengerCarList] Video: Forgotten Chicago

Wait a second, Charlie. Everybody knows commuter coaches are AAR mechanical designation "S" along with the rest of the cattle cars.

Dennis Storzek

Brian Carlson

Bill I’m not sure if it’s the same photo but Matt Forsyth has a few here.

http://mattforsyth.com/?p=424

Brian J. Carlson

On Aug 23, 2019, at 8:39 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

Early last month there was a series of posts on ALTERED USRA SINGLE SHEATH BOX CAR PHOTOS.  One of the photos in this series was an altered D&H car.  Ted Culottacovered this car in his Essential Freight Car series.  The main change was to a Viking roof.

I was unable to extract the photo at that time and kept the post on my computor.  Yesterday I noticed that it had somehow escaped.

I have not had any luck in the files section.

Any help or clues would be appreciated.

Bill Pardie

From: "Dave Parker via Groups.Io" <spottab@...>
Date: 8/23/19 4:50 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] SEEKING PHOTO HELP

[...]

Andy Carlson

Bill, to capture photos off of your screen requires a software called Screen Capture.
If you had a Mac, all you would have to do is click 3 buttons and hold down the mouse and drag over the image you wish to capture. I do this constantly and would hate to give up this feature. I would suggest that you search for a "Screen Capture" and download into your computer. This is also helpful for sites which don't allow the even easier "Drag & Drop", but that is another Mac item.

Tim O'Connor has stated for years that nothing can't be captured from a computer. Just a little harder for a windows system. Perhaps he will share the technique.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Matthew Metoyer

Windows 8 (?) & 10 computers include a program called 'snipping tool'. The icon looks like a pair of scissors. It allows you to create a photo file of whatever is on your screen.

Matthew Metoyer
Santa Maria CA

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 10:27 PM Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:
Bill, to capture photos off of your screen requires a software called Screen Capture.
If you had a Mac, all you would have to do is click 3 buttons and hold down the mouse and drag over the image you wish to capture. I do this constantly and would hate to give up this feature. I would suggest that you search for a "Screen Capture" and download into your computer. This is also helpful for sites which don't allow the even easier "Drag & Drop", but that is another Mac item.

Tim O'Connor has stated for years that nothing can't be captured from a computer. Just a little harder for a windows system. Perhaps he will share the technique.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Dave and Friends,

I tried to upload to the files section a few months ago, but my load failed. Maybe that's why nobody has posted there for so long.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 8/23/2019 10:50 PM, Dave Parker via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Brent Greer

On most PC keyboards you will see a button marked "print screen". (Sometimes it may be a shift or control function key - you may have to play around with it)

Pressing tg his button takes a snapshot of whatever image is on your monitor at that moment.

If you then open the "Paint" application (in windows accessories) you can the paste the screen captures and edit out whatever you don't want.   Then save the image.

Brent

________________________________
Dr. J. Brent Greer

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 7:13 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

[...]

Bruce Smith

Folks,

SERIOUSLY? What Bill has been looking at is a .pdf file.

http://www.foxvalleydivision.org/fvd2016/imagesfvd2016/clinicdata/Mid-Century%20Boxcars%20V2.pdf

It was not an "attachment" (as stated by Bill) and it is not a protected image. What was included in the original email was a LINK to a PDF of a presentation. By far, the simplest thing for Bill to do is to click on the link and download the entire PDF. On my Mac, all you do is hover over the open PDF and a button bar appears that includes a download icon.

Once that file is downloaded, you may be able to extract the image (if you have the full version of Acrobat) or you may have to use some of the screen shot tricks that others have discussed... but it isn't "protected" and it isn't very hard to do...

Of course, you could also be polite and email the author of the presentation that you are pulling photos out of and ask for a copy of the photo 😉. A little hunting at the parent web site shows that would be a Mr. George Trandel, who presented this clinic in February of 2018.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Bruce, I had not seen this before nad it has some good basic info.  Thanks for sharing
fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

np328

   On my PC, I do what Tim does, sort of.....

For people without Photoshop, like me...
1. Open a blank page from Word, and once it is open, then format it to Landscape or Portrait, which ever best matches the photo.
3. Reopen the page and right click, the Paste option should appear so paste it, and the image of your whole screen should appear.
4. Right click again on the image, and two boxes should appear, on the upper one look for what looks like the right angle clamp as viewed from on end, if you put your cursor over it, the word Crop should appear, click on it.
5. Crop by bringing in the corners to what you want to save, and click again, this time off the cropped image, at this point the grayed areas should disappear.
6. Click on your image again and perimeter markers should appear from which you can drag the image, opening it to the margins.
7. And save it, of course because it is on a Word background, it will want to be saved as a word document.  File accordingly.

Limitation is that it can't be filed as a Photo, as best as I am aware. However if it is for my personal modeling use only, no big deal.             Jim Dick - St. Paul, MN

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

With some sites this may be necessary, but with Safari with a Mac (and probably in other browsers as well) the easy way is just to right click on the photo. The menu that appears includes "Save to Desktop". Once there you can open the image in your preferred photo editor and work it up as you please.

I have a modest collection of these photos saved on my machine for possible modeling use. The folder is marked "Delete Upon My Demise", and my heirs will know these aren't my intellectual property.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 7:13 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

[...]

Jim, I run Windows XP, and I bought my copy of Photoshop Elements 5.0 on Ebay
two years ago for $10. Brand new w/ serial number. No subscription fees. A year
ago my PC hardware died, and I got a complete replacement motherboard for $45
directly from Dell. It's basically brand new again. :-)

Tim O'

On 8/24/2019 3:38 PM, np328 wrote:
[...]

Many web sites play the "right click disabled" gambit - But if you follow my
instructions, they're just putty in our nimble fingers... :-)

On 8/24/2019 4:52 PM, Garth Groff wrote:
Friends,

With some sites this may be necessary, but with Safari with a Mac (and probably in other browsers as well) the easy way is just to right click on the photo. The menu that appears includes "Save to Desktop". Once there you can open the image in your preferred photo editor and work it up as you please.

I have a modest collection of these photos saved on my machine for possible modeling use. The folder is marked "Delete Upon My Demise", and my heirs will know these aren't my intellectual property.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Sterling, Massachusetts

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Especially on Flikr!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 4:32 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

[...]

JOKE COMING!

Sounds like my porn folder.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>
Date: Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 3:52 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

I have a modest collection of these photos saved on my machine for possible modeling use. The folder is marked "Delete Upon My Demise", and my heirs will know these aren't my intellectual property.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

WILLIAM PARDIE

Thanks to all who responded with quality suggestions to my phoat question.  Thanks to you I was able to transfer the photo to my desktop and can enlarge it to almost full screen.

Wow! Normnally when I have a computor problem I have to go out on the street and get a teenager for help.  This is even better.

Thanks again:

Bill PAadie