Topics

Flat car sides

Richard Townsend

Both the Revell/Concor (53'6") and Model Power (50') flat cars have sides where the slope down to the fishbelly begins at about the third stake pocket from the end and reaches full depth between the fourth and fifth stake pockets. Question: were there ANY prototype flat cars of ANY length that had sides like that? All I have seen have much shallower slopes to the full depth.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Richard,

Consider WP 50' flat cars 2351-2400 (PC&F, 1937) and identical 2401-2700 (AC&F, 1942). The slope started just outboard of the 3rd stake pocket, actually just about mid-way between the truck spring pack and the journal box, and sloped down to even with the 5th stake pocket. Being 50' cars, they had 16 pockets on each side: https://wplives.org/collectionpageimages/freightcarimages/flatcars/wpmw_8674_022709_DSC_4645.jpg . Chad Boas offers a partial resin kit for these cars--underframe, sides and end sills cast in one piece, with a one-piece scribed wooden deck. You supply everything else.

I had one of the Con-Cor/Revell flat cars, and seem to remember the side sill was very deep, maybe because the the deck rode high, making the the narrow end parts of the side sill taller than they should have been. Model Power? Well, what else can I say . . . . it's Model Power.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 8/31/2019 2:29 PM, Richard Townsend via Groups.Io wrote:
Both the Revell/Concor (53'6") and Model Power (50') flat cars have sides where the slope down to the fishbelly begins at about the third stake pocket from the end and reaches full depth between the fourth and fifth stake pockets. Question: were there ANY prototype flat cars of ANY length that had sides like that? All I have seen have much shallower slopes to the full depth.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Richard Townsend

I know they are sow's ears, but I like making silk purses and am hoping for a prototype.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

Bill Welch

Based on article I found in the hobby press—don't remember which magazine or date of—I used the Concor flat to create a very nice and I believe accurate, based on the article, a CB&Q flat car. The kit by that time was intended to be in TOFC service so I had to fill some holes in the deck. I installed new sill steps, grabs, etc.

Bill Welch

Donald B. Valentine

Actually Richard if you take a trip to the Smithsonian you can see a silk purse that Dupont
IIRC made from a sow's ear. I do not know if it was transported there in a STMFC freight car.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Tim O'Connor

Mainline Modeler - 11/1997 pp.26-29 Greg Martin makes improvements to the model to
  represent the AAR 50 ton flatcar C&O #80694; with HO scale drawings

Mainline Modeler - 7/1992 pp.72-76 article has descriptions of improvements to the
  model to make it a better replica; with scale drawings

Mainline Modeler - 7/1991 pp.29-32 simple changes to underframe and new ends to
  model a
CB&Q FM-13 flatcar; with HO scale drawings

On 8/31/2019 9:09 PM, Bill Welch wrote:
Based on article I found in the hobby press—don't remember which magazine or date of—I used the Concor flat to create a very nice and I believe accurate, based on the article, a CB&Q flat car. The kit by that time was intended to be in TOFC service so I had to fill some holes in the deck. I installed new sill steps, grabs, etc.

Bill Welch

Sterling, Massachusetts

Richard Townsend

Don, I'll be in DC next week and will check it out. Somewhere downstairs in my stash is an old Dynamodels HO scale sow with piglets. With an ear-ectomy I will have the proper material to work with. It'll be a bit fussy, but it's nice to know there's a prototype to have in mind. Thanks for your suggestion.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Actually Richard if you take a trip to the Smithsonian you can see a silk purse that Dupont
IIRC made from a sow's ear. I do not know if it was transported there in a STMFC freight car.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Greg Martin

Richard,

This article I authored was a way to use up the couple Revell/CON COR in my Jewells in the Junk Box.

Mainline Modeler - 11/1997 pp.26-29 Greg Martin makes improvements to the model to
  represent the AAR 50 ton flatcar C&O #80694; with HO scale drawings
(thanks Tim)

The finished car is not perfect but a very good stand in for the AAR 50 ton Flat and with the help of the late Richard Hendrickson I got through it. He reminded me of the resin version he had developed under West Rails. I picked a prototype with close  relative interchanges to my PRR modeling. Alas the Life Like car hit the market only months later and the Revell car was overshadowed; however the continuing ideas of these "Jewells from The Junk Box" grew, eventually evolving into SHAKE N TAKE.

I bring it often to Cocoa Beach to see who recognizes it for what it is. Regardless, it is a simple project that have some noteworthy techniques for modeling. I have the second left to do and I will, time permitting. I also have at least four Life Like cars to do as well. They'll all be a great mix for my Bowser PRR flats. They need work as well and are simple and inexpensive.

I'd love to know more about the Model Power and the Tyco (SP) cars, both stand ins, but fun projects.

BEN???

Greg Martin

Why Yes I have done some modeling...

Sent from AOL Desktop

--
Hey Boss,

Somehow I got deleted from this group in late May. I guess someone didn't like me. Jail is a lonely place.

Greg Martin