Topics

Pullman Boxcars with "Lollypop Stick Ends"

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

While working through the Pullman photos at the Illinois Digital Archives site ( http://www.idaillinois.org/digital/collection/pshs/search/searchterm/BOXCAR ) I noted that some of the cars from around 1940 had what have been described as "PS-0" ends or "Lollipop Stick" ends (neither term is official, so keep them in quotes). This was a proprietary design used on a few Pullman boxcars cars from the late 1930s to the early 1940s. This led me to search out all the cars with these ends I could find on the site and from my stash of books and articles. I don't guarantee this list is complete. Please note that the additions only show new cars not considered in articles listed earlier, or new owners in a few cases.

PULLMAN BOXCARS WITH SO-CALLED “LOLLIPOP STICK" ENDS FROM ILLINOIS DIGITAL ARCHIVES

B&O 386149 Lot 5673 (50’ DD)
B&O 465000-465899 Lot 5693 (40’ SD)
CGW 52183 Lot 5708 (50’ DD)
PLM X2023 Lot 5615 (40’ SD Demonstrator?)
Seaboard 19000-199499)  Lot 5659 (40’ SD "Turtle-back roof")
Seaboard 11358 Lot 5617 (40’ DD
"Turtle-back roof")
Seaboard 11850 Lot 5702 (40’ DD
"Turtle-back roof")
TC 7901-7995 (40’ SD)
W&LE 24260 (26000-26199, 40’ SD)

ADDITIONAL CARS FROM MODEL RAILROADING FEBRUARY 1987

B&LE 90101-90200 (40’ SD)
CGW 90000-90049 (40’ SD)
PM 84000-84099 (40’ SD), later C&O 284000-284099)
W&LE 24000-24501 (40’ SD, later NKP 20500-20699)

ADDITIONAL CARS FROM RAIL MODEL JOURNAL FEBRUARY 1994

UP 100501 (leased Pullman demo 501), 186000-186024, 186025-186049 (40’ SD)

ADDITIONAL CARS FROM
RAIL MODEL JOURNAL MARCH 2001

CE&I 1-5 (40’ SD, express boxcars)
CGW 91000-91099 (40’ SD)
KCS 25100-25299 (50’ SD)
L&A 36001-36200 (50' SD)

ADDITIONAL CARS FROM FROM RAILROAD PROTOTYPE CYCLOPEDIA V. 31-32

KCS 25000-25049 (?) (50’ SD)
NKP 20000-20099 (40' SD)
RI 149051 (ex-UP 100501, see above)

Also of interest are a demonstrator (or maybe two) and two production lots of AC&F cars with similar ends. Similar, but not quite -- the tips of the wales were sharper and wrapped around the end stamping edges, and the shape was a bit different from the Pullman ends.

AC&F BOXCARS WITH SO-CALLED “STILLETTO" ENDS FROM
RAILROAD PROTOTYPE CYCLOPEDIA V. 31-32

ACFX 30000 (40’ DS, demonstrator)
B&LE 90102-90300 (40’ SD)
NKP 20200-20499 (40’ SD)

For modeling, most of the MODEL RAILROADING articles noted are confusing and where techniques are shown, they are very dated (like using a Roundhouse boxcar as a starting point). The best article was by Stan Rydarowicz in the March 2001 RMJ. Stan offered resin castings of the Pullman ends in a couple of different configurations. Are parts from his masters still available?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Douglas Harding

Garth, sadly Stan’s parts are no longer available. However the 2017 Chicagoland RPM produced a minikit for a CGW boxcar that included new Pullman-Standard “carbuilders” Corrugated ends. Which I believe are also called the PS-0 ends. The masters for ends were created with 3D printing, then cast in resin. The resin parts were prepared by the folks at Resin Car Works. I don’t know if they are available separately. You will need to check with Resin Car Works.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

AC&F BOXCARS WITH SO-CALLED “STILLETTO" ENDS FROM RAILROAD PROTOTYPE CYCLOPEDIA V. 31-32

ACFX 30000 (40’ DS, demonstrator)
B&LE 90102-90300 (40’ SD)
NKP 20200-20499 (40’ SD)

For modeling, most of the MODEL RAILROADING articles noted are confusing and where techniques are shown, they are very dated (like using a Roundhouse boxcar as a starting point). The best article was by Stan Rydarowicz in the March 2001 RMJ. Stan offered resin castings of the Pullman ends in a couple of different configurations. Are parts from his masters still available?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Donald B. Valentine

Hi folks,

    If memory serves Wright-Trak offers, or offered, a kit for the Tennessee Central with the PS-0 ends.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Barry Bennett

Funaro & Camerlengo 6350 - 6352 with both 9 rib and 10 rib ends also.