Topics

Steam line placement on express box cars

passcars

Along with the Steam Line discussions, another interesting feature that these cars had were 4 marker lamp brackets located on each of the 4 corners just below the joint line of the top and bottom end sheet.  BX cars were at times carried on the rear of express trains when the rider coach was positioned further forward.

Steve Peery 

Tim O'Connor

It's clear from photos that the steam line was located above the brake rods and rigging,
close to the center sill. And from the drawings it seems apparent that the steam line was
not threaded through the cross bearers. This photo of my Dad's (attached) is the best view
I have of the underside of the cars. I'm guessing the steam line crossed under the center
sill somewhere in the vicinity of the middle of the car.

On 9/26/2019 7:26 PM, passcars via Groups.Io wrote:
With further digging, the steam line location may be illustrated on the brake arrangement drawing SF-33539 which has a different drawing number from the one for the Overnight cars.  The Overnight drawing shows the air brake piping locations, so my best guess is that the brake arrangement drawing for the BX cars possibly shows the steam line location.  The SF-33427 drawing only shows the application of the steam line end valves.

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

passcars

With further digging, the steam line location may be illustrated on the brake arrangement drawing SF-33539 which has a different drawing number from the one for the Overnight cars.  The Overnight drawing shows the air brake piping locations, so my best guess is that the brake arrangement drawing for the BX cars possibly shows the steam line location.  The SF-33427 drawing only shows the application of the steam line end valves.

Ken Roth

Tim and others.  I am building my Bx 50-24 from a Sunshine kit and ran into a couple of irregularities in the dimensions which I decided I couldn't live with.  I don't have time right at the moment to explain in detail, but I will within the next few days.  I will move that discussion to the resin group since its more on topic for discussion there.  Anyway, don't go off gluing anything just yet.... at least make sure you study Tony Thompson's SP freight cars, vol 4 and get out your ruler.

Ken Roth

passcars

By "plan" number I assume you are referring to what SP termed as a General Arrangement drawings (car assembly drawing having side and end elevations, and roof plan view) which are assigned drawing numbers.  All drawings pertaining to an individual car class are listed at the end of the car construction specification document.

Steve Peery.

mrvant@rogers.com

Here is a scan of the underside diagram for a CN wood express reefer. It’s from Sylvan models and is looking from underneath the car up. The fat pipe on one side is steam and the two smaller ones are main air and signal. There would also be a retaining valve line running from the main valve to the end of the car.  CP wood express reefers had similar piping but the air tanks were placed differently. The pipes crossed the undersill through a slit part way up from floor.

WILLIAM PARDIE

How can one determine the plan number for various SP boxcars?

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 9/24/19 7:46 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Steam line placement on express box cars

The SP drawing for steam line application and conditions for B-50-24 BX box express cars is SF-33427.  I may have a copy. Alternative is the Green Library at Stanford University, California.
Steve Peery

WILLIAM PARDIE

Yes Steve:

Please share this drawing if possible.  I have been on an underframe tear lately and this is one I need.

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 9/25/19 6:18 AM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Steam line placement on express box cars

Steve

If you can scan and share it, please do! I have a couple of Sunshine kits to build.

Tim O'Connor

On 9/25/2019 1:46 AM, passcars via Groups.Io wrote:

The SP drawing for steam line application and conditions for B-50-24 BX box express cars is SF-33427.  I may have a copy. Alternative is the Green Library at Stanford University, California.
Steve Peery

Tim O'Connor

Steve

If you can scan and share it, please do! I have a couple of Sunshine kits to build.

Tim O'Connor

On 9/25/2019 1:46 AM, passcars via Groups.Io wrote:
Steve Peery

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

passcars

Steve Peery

Ken Roth

Yup, Tony. Was trying to go from memory and forgot the 7!!  It's tough being old ....  thanks for correcting me.  We SP nuts don't want do propagate misinformation.  BTW the reason I'm particularly interested in this car is that I have a picture of one spotted at the Medford, Oregon depot circa 1950.  The only picture I know of this class running on the Siskiyou line.
Ken Roth

Richard Townsend

Nothing definitive regarding the SP cars, but in the August 2001 Mainline Modeler there's a Nick Muff article on KCS baggage and express box cars 400-403 with drawings beginning on page 41. As seems logical to me, the steam line runs essentially as a mirror image of the train line.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Sep 22, 2019 3:45 pm
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Steam line placement on express box cars

I can wing it, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of drawings for how to run a wrapped steam line under express box cars, specifically an SP 5000-5049 series BX-50-24.  I'd settle for drawings for a similar AAR ACR box car from another road.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken Roth

Tim O'Connor

The BE-50-24 steam line is not visible from the side in any photos that I have seen
so I assume that it must be threaded through the cross bearers alongside the center sill.
It has to cross the center sill at some location but it doesn't appear to drop below the
center sill... somewhat of a mystery.

Tim O'Connor

On 9/22/2019 7:39 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Ken Roth wrote:

I can wing it, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of drawings for how to run a wrapped steam line under express box cars, specifically an SP 5000-5049 series BX-50-24.  I'd settle for drawings for a similar AAR ACR box car from another road.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Can't help with the steam line location, Ken, but the SP BX-50-24 cars were 5700-5749.

Tony Thompson

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tony Thompson

Ken Roth wrote:

Can't help with the steam line location, Ken, but the SP BX-50-24 cars were 5700-5749.

Tony Thompson

Ken Roth

Thanks,
Ken Roth