Topics

NC&STL GOLDOLA

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Good friends,

Attached is a photo I took of a Seaboard low-side gondola at Dillwyn, Virginia on the then-CSX Dillwyn Subdivision (now Buckingham Branch RR) around 1986. It appears to be an ex-NC&STL car, which would put it within our era of interest. Likely it was rebuilt with the sides strengthened. Any comments on its origins and original series numbers?

The car is on a short siding that served Seay Milling Co., the local Southern States affiliate. This track was rarely used by Seay, and served (and still does) as a holding track to stash cars; the Dillwyn yard being pretty small. It was likely bound for loading at the Koppers woodlot about 1/2 mile further down the line. Koppers was, and still is, one of the branch's major shippers, but their track only holds 3-4 cars. Raw ties are still loaded there and sent to an off-line creosote plant.

Stashing freight cars on somebody else's siding until needed is likely a pretty common thing on most railroads, but something we rarely do on our layouts. Something worth considering for how you operate your freight cars.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Bill Welch

NC&StL owned no gondolas with Dreadnaught ends.

Bill Welch

Steven D Johnson

Garth,

It’s one of these ACF L&N low-side gondolas, built in 1958.  See attached photo.  I can provide series information, etc. later.  Getting ready to head to work now.

Steve Johnson

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 06:49 AM, Bill Welch wrote:
NC&StL owned no gondolas with Dreadnaught ends.

Bill Welch
Correction, I spoke before coffee, the NC&StL owned 25 65-foot mill gons easily modeled w/Athearn model and Speedwitch ends and decals.

Bill Welch

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Steve and Friends,

Thanks for your help with the gondola and the great photo. I completely forgot about the L&N, it not being a "Y'all" railroad that operates in Virginia or that I ever saw. The 4/1958 build date is almost the exact time my Virginia Midland is set in. A car from this class would look great just like the photo, delivering bagged product to Madison Farm Supply (one of the VM's main customers). The big problem is will I ever find time to build a model. We'll see.

Nice color on the sacks too.

Yours Aye,

Garth

On 9/30/2019 7:14 AM, Steven D Johnson wrote:

Garth,

It’s one of these ACF L&N low-side gondolas, built in 1958.  See attached photo.  I can provide series information, etc. later.  Getting ready to head to work now.

Steve Johnson

George Courtney

Mostly likely not your area, but the L&N ran from Cumberland Gap into Tennessee back into Virginia and on over to a connection with the N&W at Norton, Virginia.  So it's has Virginia cred.

George Courtney