Topics

Ron Sebastian

cptracks

Des Plaines Hobbies was always a must stop for me in Chicago and Ron was a big part of the reason. My condolences to the family.

Colin Riley

On Saturday, October 5, 2019, 06:58:47 a.m. PDT, dh30973 <dhussey@...> wrote:

Every year when Dick Harley and I headed to Chicago for Naperville/Chicagoland we made it a routine after picking up the car to grab a pizza and head to the shop. Visiting with Ron was always a treat. His knowledge was far reaching on darn near any subject especially all the ins and outs of the industry. On Sunday we would reverse, and hit the shop, before the pizza on our way back to the airport for more insight and a few items.

Such a well stocked shop shop is always a treat. He kept the parts supply well stocked including my items. I just recently filled a big order direct from him.

The meet in a couple weeks will not be the same.
All our thoughts to Sue and the family.

Dave Hussey
Cannon and Company

dh30973

Every year when Dick Harley and I headed to Chicago for Naperville/Chicagoland we made it a routine after picking up the car to grab a pizza and head to the shop. Visiting with Ron was always a treat. His knowledge was far reaching on darn near any subject especially all the ins and outs of the industry. On Sunday we would reverse, and hit the shop, before the pizza on our way back to the airport for more insight and a few items.

Such a well stocked shop shop is always a treat. He kept the parts supply well stocked including my items. I just recently filled a big order direct from him.

The meet in a couple weeks will not be the same.
All our thoughts to Sue and the family.

Dave Hussey
Cannon and Company

Lloyd Keyser

Always looked forward to visiting Ron while at Naperville. Always had a nice long talk about many things. I will miss seeing him this year. My best to family and friends. Lloyd Keyser

Brian Termunde

While I regrettably never met Ron Sebastian, my friend did, and he was very impressed with and very much appreciated Ron's warm hospitality, even though it was Todd's first and last visit to his store.

It's way too soon, both for Ron and Todd.

Respectfully,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

Tony Thompson

     Very distressing news. I got to know Ron through his sales of Signature Press books, and always enjoyed his good humor and retail knowledge. And I was always impressed with the well-stocked stores he ran. He will certainly be missed.

Tony Thompson

Michael Gross

Oh, no, I am so sorry to hear this.  What a knowledgable and decent man he was.

May he rest in peace!
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

gtws00

Very Sad information.
I have known Ron for a very long time.
Always a good person to chat with
George Toman

Bill Welch

Ron was a U.S. Army helicopter pilot and was stationed somewhere in the south—Ft. Stewart I think—which is where I think his interest in southeastern RR's developed. He owned many SE RR drawing I know and it was fun to talk to him about his resources. While in the army he suffered a coronary event that meant an end to his flying. While then an instructor he began investing in side businesses including Des Plaines that became full-time when he left the Army. IIRC all of this came up when I asked a drawings question one day in a phone call. He was a very generous person and dotting grandparent.

Bill Welch

Richard McQuade

Very shocked and saddened at this news. Saw Ron less than three weeks ago and enjoyed his company immensely. He seemed as always so this is a very sad surprise.
Sincerest condolences to his nearest and dearest.
Richard

O Fenton Wells

So sorry to hear that, I go back over 30 some odd years with Ron at Des Plaines Hobbies and the Southern Historical group.  He will be missed.
Fenton Wells

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Tim O'Connor

In my case it's because I was stunned to hear it... talking with friends offline
about Ron. I will really miss him - saw him at his shop nearly every year, and he
came out to Springfield MA nearly every January too. I've always enjoyed talking with
Ron, he was so knowledgeable about our hobby. A very sad day. :-(

On 10/3/2019 1:42 AM, Tom Madden via Groups.Io wrote:
Surprised no one has mentioned it, but it's been reported that Ron Sebastian (Des Plaines Hobbies) died earlier today (Wednesday). No other details.

Tom Madden
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*