Topics

Illinois Central R-40-10 reefer colors

Fred Jansz

Thanks Tim, Tony,
I model/collect 1950.
Think I follow Mr Hendrickson's expertise by modeling an 'interim' paint scheme, with black roof & ends, new data on the sides and still yellow sides & green lettering.
After 13 years in service this seems an appropriate scheme (the orange sides added >1950 w. next paint job).
cheers,
Fred Jansz

Tim O'Connor

As Tony points out, originally received aluminum painted roofs.

Repaints received black ends and roofs and orange sides (at some point MDT & IC began using the same orange paint)

The attached photo of 50038 appears to have a combination of colors on the roof

On 10/8/2019 3:52 AM, Fred Jansz wrote:
Hi all,
purchased this smart looking IC 50039 reefer for my reefer collection.
Checked the group's archives and could find two paint suggestions:
- green ends, silver roof (Hendrickson)
- black ends black roof; w. silver over blk roof, run board still black, black stripe under roof (instead of green) (IC paint diagram)
- others suggest green ends & roof
When I look at the model Mr. Hendrickson painted, it has black ends & roof.
Which scheme is the correct one?
(if there is one...)
best regards,
Fred Jansz

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tony Thompson

Depends on era. IIRC the scheme you have is the as-built scheme. Others on the list can doubtless enlarge on this.
Tony Thompson

On Oct 8, 2019, at 8:52 AM, Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

Hi all,
purchased this smart looking IC 50039 reefer for my reefer collection.
Checked the group's archives and could find two paint suggestions:
- green ends, silver roof (Hendrickson)
- black ends black roof; w. silver over blk roof, run board still black, black stripe under roof (instead of green) (IC paint diagram)
- others suggest green ends & roof
When I look at the model Mr. Hendrickson painted, it has black ends & roof.
Which scheme is the correct one?
(if there is one...)
best regards,
Fred Jansz