Topics

Erie coal gon

Richard Brennan

...but it was done in brass in TT-scale!!!  A 'Joma' import from Japan.

Drawings from the '31 CBCyc were reprinted in Train Shed Cyclopedia 46...
and an article by Jim Cassidy on  upgrading the Mantua HO car was in MRG May-June 1985.
Another article was written by Richard Reichenbach in the ELHS Diamond... the copy I have is undated.

Original: Circa-1923
[]

Modernized: Post 1937
[]

Richard
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - TT-west
www.tt-west.com  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 07:36 AM 10/9/2019, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Surprising it was never done in resin... over 500 cars in service, and 44.0 feet inside length!

On 10/8/2019 8:10 PM, Hugh Guillaume via Groups.Io wrote:

Erie coal gon made from Mantua on my model railroad.
Sent from my Verizon ASUS Tablet

Attachments:

Alice Devenny

Steve:

Sorry, I don't recall which RMC issue had the Erie coal gon article. My quick attempt at trying to find an index on-line was not successful. 

IIRC, the article wasn't much help regarding the car height problem anyway. Car height is the major issue to overcome - the rest of the work was just some simple detailing. 

Tom Devenny
East Norriton, PA 

rwitt_2000

I also worked on this model, the original Lindberg version, to tried to lower the body relative to the underframe. I can't quickly find my model, but I recall I cut the floor free from the car body and was attempting to scratch build a new underframe to allow properly positions draft gear and body bolsters . My reference was the drawings in the Car Buildler's Cyc that were reproduced in the old Model Railroader Cyclopedia.

Never did finish the model.

Bob Witt

Steven D Johnson

Tom,

What issue of RMC had that article?

Thanks,

Steve Johnson

Nashville, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alice Devenny
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 11:36 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Erie coal gon

List:

I did the upgrade of the Mantua gon years ago, based on an article in RMC. The results are OK, but the car still sits too high, despite filing down the bolster and carving curved grooves in the floor to provide clearance between the flanges and the floor. If I were to do it again, I think I would cut curved slots in the floor to gain additional flange clearance and further lower the carbody to where it should be. 

Note that whatever carbody height you are able to achieve, it will still take some carving on the ends and floor to create a space for coupler boxes and some fussing to mount couplers at the correct height.

Tom Devenny
East Norriton, PA

Schleigh Mike

The ERIE 43000-45599 series 70 ton gondolas date from 1923-1924.  Their top dimension was 9'-3 3/4" above the rail.  The underside of the center sill was 29 1/2" above the rails.  The Mantua model definitely needs to be lowered and their supplied trucks are nearly worthless.  Equipment drawing says side frames were "Bettendorf" but photos would be more help with the proper truck to apply.  These were interesting cars that originally came with steel floors and drop doors.  Later some got wood floors while still others were converted to quad hoppers.

Regards from Grove City, Penna.    Mike Schleigh

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 12:36:06 PM EDT, Alice Devenny <atdevenny@...> wrote:

List:

I did the upgrade of the Mantua gon years ago, based on an article in RMC. The results are OK, but the car still sits too high, despite filing down the bolster and carving curved grooves in the floor to provide clearance between the flanges and the floor. If I were to do it again, I think I would cut curved slots in the floor to gain additional flange clearance and further lower the carbody to where it should be. 

Note that whatever carbody height you are able to achieve, it will still take some carving on the ends and floor to create a space for coupler boxes and some fussing to mount couplers at the correct height.

Tom Devenny
East Norriton, PA

Eric Hansmann

Tom displayed his Erie gon at MARPM. I didn’t get the best shot but at least it’s something. See the attached image.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alice Devenny
Sent: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:36 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Erie coal gon

List:

Tom Devenny
East Norriton, PA

Alice Devenny

List:

Tom Devenny
East Norriton, PA

Tim O'Connor

Surprising it was never done in resin... over 500 cars in service, and 44.0 feet inside length!

On 10/8/2019 8:10 PM, Hugh Guillaume via Groups.Io wrote:

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Hugh Guillaume