Topics

40' 1 1/2 door SS boxcars

Ray Breyer

Hi Don, 

I know of one article that's about to go to press, and I'm about to start on another (using your part on double sheathed cars).

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 08:11:42 PM CDT, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

Hi Roger,

The #1000 1/2 Door Add-On Kit was specifically made to duplicate Richard Hendrickson's efforts
to resin cast such doors to convert the Accurail cars to GTW prototypes as noted. The original source
of decasl for them was Robert Smith. I believe he passed away several years ago and decals are no
offered by Allan Ferguson's "Black Cat" line. NERS is no longer working through Walthers but several
members of this list have been shipped orers for these parts of late. Has someone done a conversion
project write-up with them that I am not aware of?

Hope this helps, Don Valentine
                        New England Rail Service, Inc. 

Donald B. Valentine

Hi Roger,

The #1000 1/2 Door Add-On Kit was specifically made to duplicate Richard Hendrickson's efforts
to resin cast such doors to convert the Accurail cars to GTW prototypes as noted. The original source
of decasl for them was Robert Smith. I believe he passed away several years ago and decals are no
offered by Allan Ferguson's "Black Cat" line. NERS is no longer working through Walthers but several
members of this list have been shipped orers for these parts of late. Has someone done a conversion
project write-up with them that I am not aware of?

Hope this helps, Don Valentine
                        New England Rail Service, Inc. 

Benjamin Hom

Doug Harding wrote:
"It appears only the first 20 pages of the magazine are available. While the text can be seen for the following pages, the images can not. Has Train Life put a restriction in place?"

The TrainLife site is buggy as hell.  Some fragments of magazines can be seen on the original site, but the content was migrated to their new website (due to issues to the old site) where it was accessible until recently.

Ben Hom 

Douglas Harding

It appears only the first 20 pages of the magazine are available. While the text can be seen for the following pages, the images can not. Has Train Life put a restriction in place?

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 9:17 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] 40' 1 1/2 door SS boxcars

It looks like the original site links work, as Marty sent a working link for part two of Richard Hendrickson’s article that features the automobile boxcar versions. Here’s a working link for part 1 in the February 1993 Railmodel Journal.

http://original.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/144/10388/february-1993-page-14

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Roger Huber via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:43 AM

Eric,

Thanks for that info.I couldn't get it to open either.

Roger Huber

Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 07:34:18 AM CDT, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

The February 1993 issue of Railmodel Journal has an article on the prototypes for the Accurail single-sheathed boxcar. I'd post a link to the on-line mag but something is amiss with the Trainlife library magazine database at this time. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On October 9, 2019 at 6:05 AM "Roger Huber via Groups.Io" <trainpainter@...> wrote:

I picked up some NERS door conversion kits at a train show and want to do the conversion on some Accurail kits I have. The kits are like all the NERS products I have and are well designed and made. Their instruction sheet mentions CN and CP so I'm assuming the CV and GTW may have had some too. Does anyone know of any other railroads using this type car? I did the Google and Bing searches and come up with no pictures or usable info. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Roger Huber.

Eric Hansmann

It looks like the original site links work, as Marty sent a working link for part two of Richard Hendrickson’s article that features the automobile boxcar versions. Here’s a working link for part 1 in the February 1993 Railmodel Journal.

http://original.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/144/10388/february-1993-page-14

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Roger Huber via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:43 AM

Eric,

Roger Huber

The February 1993 issue of Railmodel Journal has an article on the prototypes for the Accurail single-sheathed boxcar. I'd post a link to the on-line mag but something is amiss with the Trainlife library magazine database at this time. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On October 9, 2019 at 6:05 AM "Roger Huber via Groups.Io" <trainpainter@...> wrote:

I picked up some NERS door conversion kits at a train show and want to do the conversion on some Accurail kits I have. The kits are like all the NERS products I have and are well designed and made. Their instruction sheet mentions CN and CP so I'm assuming the CV and GTW may have had some too. Does anyone know of any other railroads using this type car? I did the Google and Bing searches and come up with no pictures or usable info. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Roger Huber.

Roger Huber

Eric,

Roger Huber

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Thanks,
Roger Huber.

Roger Huber

Marty,

Thanks for that info and the links.

Roger Huber

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 08:08:49 AM CDT, Marty McGuirk <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:

Although the CV had a number of 1-1/2 door single sheathed boxcars, (see https://centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com/2019/08/cv-41000-series-boxcars-some-notes-for.html) , they looked nothing like the Accurail car. 

GTW had some 1-1/2 door cars identical to (in some cases former) the CV 41,000-series cars.

In addition, GTW rostered some cars that one could model with the Accurail boxcar and the NERS door kit. In a past issue of RMJ there's an article showing how to use the NERS doors to modify the Accurail car. 

Hope this helps, 

Marty

Marty McGuirk

Gainesville, VA

On October 9, 2019 at 8:05 AM "Roger Huber via Groups.Io" <trainpainter@...> wrote:

Thanks,
Roger Huber.

Marty McGuirk

And here's a link to the article - from the April 1993 issue of RMJ on the TrainLife website:

http://original.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/146/10547/april-1993-page-13

On October 9, 2019 at 9:08 AM Marty McGuirk <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:

Although the CV had a number of 1-1/2 door single sheathed boxcars, (see https://centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com/2019/08/cv-41000-series-boxcars-some-notes-for.html) , they looked nothing like the Accurail car. 

GTW had some 1-1/2 door cars identical to (in some cases former) the CV 41,000-series cars.

In addition, GTW rostered some cars that one could model with the Accurail boxcar and the NERS door kit. In a past issue of RMJ there's an article showing how to use the NERS doors to modify the Accurail car. 

Hope this helps, 

Marty

Marty McGuirk

Gainesville, VA

On October 9, 2019 at 8:05 AM "Roger Huber via Groups.Io" <trainpainter@...> wrote:

Thanks,
Roger Huber.

Marty McGuirk

Hope this helps, 

Marty

Marty McGuirk

Gainesville, VA

Thanks,
Roger Huber.

Eric Hansmann

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Thanks,
Roger Huber.

Roger Huber

Thanks,
Roger Huber.