Topics

Baltimore & Ohio early diesel lettering font

Jim Mischke

B&O diesel lettering for most early diesels (1943 - 1962) was a custom B&O font, an extended Roman.    Five inches high.

Color was Dupont Imitation Gold, a dark spicy mustard color.  Not gold leaf.  Not Big Bird yellow.   Not the later Federal Signal Yellow.

Look at B&O passenger letterboard decals in a satisfactory imitation gold.    The spacing will be different on diesels, yet you will get extended Roman fonts, five inches high.

Jack R. & I put together the initial font and logo offering on the B&O RR Historical Society website 14 years ago. (Goodness, was it that long ago?!) I drew the "13 Great States" logo and Jack did the fonts. We scanned the original blueprints and used them as a guide for creating the digital versions. I've seen the "13 Great States" logo used on various model freight cars which is always tons of fun.  Another B&ORRHS member, Kenneth VM, put together the other fonts on the page.

You can find them here:  https://borhs.org/Logos/bo_font_logo.html

Hopefully they will be of use to you. If you have any questions, let me know and I can hopefully help out. I don't get to the Archvies as much as I would like (kids, job, house, etc. get in the way) but I'm only 30m away so I can run up there if more material is needed.

Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD
Researching & Modeling the Georgetown Branch of the B&O in HO scale
http://sluggyjunx.com/rr/gb/

joseph nevin

The B&O's PostWar fonts were of inhouse design.  The  style was close to Railroad Roman, but the letters are elongated and terminated  with a bit more "florish" then the Roman lettering.  The B&O RRHS has a website (borhs.org) open to all, and in the archives section there are examples of the lettering.

Joe Nevin

Brad Andonian

I am working on an AS-16 and alco switcher and need info on lettering.

i know it was delux gold on blue ( scale coat has the shade) what was the font used?

this is the spelled out Baltimore and Ohio.
thanks,
brad andonian