Topics

38 foot IL Commonwealth pulpwood cars

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

Paul Graf of Atlas is looking for photos from which to create the artwork
for other versions of their HO scale pulpwood car. Supposedly the Frisco,
Savannah & Atlanta, IGN, MP, SP and NCStL all had these, and maybe someone
knows of other such cars. (A spotting feature would be the 38 foot IL
between the bulkheads.)
- John Nehrich

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

At 09:34 AM 1/10/01 -0500, you wrote:
Paul Graf of Atlas is looking for photos from which to create the artwork
for other versions of their HO scale pulpwood car. Supposedly the Frisco,
Savannah & Atlanta, IGN, MP, SP and NCStL all had these, and maybe someone
knows of other such cars. (A spotting feature would be the 38 foot IL
between the bulkheads.)
- John Nehrich
John, "SP" didn't buy any, but T&NO (SP Texas lines) did, as did SSW (aka
Cotton Belt). SP acquired the T&NO cars after the merger. I don't know of
any really good builder photos, but I would LOVE to have both the T&NO and
the SSW versions.

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@...>
Marlborough, Massachusetts

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

Tim - There is a builder's photo of the T&NO car on our Atlas rolling stock
guide
(http://www.union.rpi.edu/railroad/images/rolling-stock/Kits/Atlas-kits.html
#FM) and maybe Atlas will do it. Any photos of the SSW cars? - John

Paul Graf of Atlas is looking for photos from which to create the artwork
for other versions of their HO scale pulpwood car. Supposedly the
Frisco,
Savannah & Atlanta, IGN, MP, SP and NCStL all had these, and maybe
someone
knows of other such cars. (A spotting feature would be the 38 foot IL
between the bulkheads.)
- John Nehrich
John, "SP" didn't buy any, but T&NO (SP Texas lines) did, as did SSW (aka
Cotton Belt). SP acquired the T&NO cars after the merger. I don't know of
any really good builder photos, but I would LOVE to have both the T&NO and
the SSW versions.

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@...>
Marlborough, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

John, yes, I am familiar with that photo. But it's not what I would call a high
quality photo. Most of the small lettering is illegible, which by today's standards
is a no-go. What we need are clear, legible side and end photos. I think I've
seen an equally poor photo of the SSW car too.

Tim - There is a builder's photo of the T&NO car on our Atlas rolling stock guide

ibs4421@...

John,
I will forward this to Steve Johnson, and see if he has any good
copies of NC&StL cars for this. IIRC, Steve has worked with Atlas before,
as well as LL on some of their car projects.

Warren

Paul Graf of Atlas is looking for photos from which to create the artwork
for other versions of their HO scale pulpwood car. Supposedly the Frisco,
Savannah & Atlanta, IGN, MP, SP and NCStL all had these, and maybe someone
knows of other such cars. (A spotting feature would be the 38 foot IL
between the bulkheads.)
- John Nehrich

Guy Wilber

In a message dated 1/12/01 5:11:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ggg9y@... writes:

<< Some of the SP wood racks are still around in MOW service. Many have
been converted to tie service. I saw some year before last in Reno. >>

Garth & Tim,

The SP cars in Sparks went to Roseville in the midst of the UP takeover.
These two cars were used in "snap track" service as Garth mentioned. Long
ago I searched the underframes for the original T&NO numbers and was unable
to find any info.

If Atlas needs original numbering and/or SP merger numbers of the T&NO P
classes, I can help.

Kind Regards,

Guy Wilber
Sparks, Nevada

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tim,

Some of the SP wood racks are still around in MOW service. Many have
been converted to tie service. I saw some year before last in Reno.
There are two in the Roseville wreck train that carry "snap track" for
emergency shoeflies. These are painted in really snappy Daylight colors.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Tim O'Connor wrote:

John, "SP" didn't buy any, but T&NO (SP Texas lines) did, as did SSW (aka
Cotton Belt). SP acquired the T&NO cars after the merger. I don't know of
any really good builder photos, but I would LOVE to have both the T&NO and
the SSW versions.

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Guy,

It was on the same trip two years ago (IIRC) that I saw similar cars at
both Sparks and Roseville. The Roseville cars may have come from Sparks,
but they must have been moved well before the merger. I remember seeing
the Daylight cars with the crane and other wreck train cars several
years ago in their usual place at the west yard, far beyond camera
range. During the UP's rebuilding at Roseville, the whole wreck train
was moved to a spot just behind the Roseville Telephone Company
buildings and could easily be seen and photographed from public
property. On my last trip out there in May, they were gone.

I have some pretty good shots of these two cars, should anybody need
them, though this paint scheme isn't suitable for what Atlas wants.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

ggg9y@... writes:

<< Some of the SP wood racks are still around in MOW service. Many have
been converted to tie service. I saw some year before last in Reno. >>

Garth & Tim,

The SP cars in Sparks went to Roseville in the midst of the UP takeover.
These two cars were used in "snap track" service as Garth mentioned. Long
ago I searched the underframes for the original T&NO numbers and was unable
to find any info.

If Atlas needs original numbering and/or SP merger numbers of the T&NO P
classes, I can help.

Kind Regards,

Guy Wilber
Sparks, Nevada

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

Garth - I'll take and post on our site (if you are willing), so maybe some
one would like to model them from the Atlas kit. - John

ggg9y@... writes:

<< Some of the SP wood racks are still around in MOW service. Many have
been converted to tie service. I saw some year before last in Reno. >>

Garth & Tim,

The SP cars in Sparks went to Roseville in the midst of the UP takeover.
These two cars were used in "snap track" service as Garth mentioned.
Long
ago I searched the underframes for the original T&NO numbers and was
unable
to find any info.

If Atlas needs original numbering and/or SP merger numbers of the T&NO P
classes, I can help.

Kind Regards,

Guy Wilber
Sparks, Nevada

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

John,

You will find a scan of the Southern heavy duty flat car, and two of SP
Commonwealth wood racks, mounted blind on my web site. Please copy them
onto your own machine, rather than just linking to my images. My
employer gives me limited disk space, and I will have to take them down
as soon as you let me know you have them safely copied. They are at:

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/sou349012.jpg

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/spmw7055.jpg

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/spmw7105.jpg

I hope they aren't too dark. They looked a lot lighter on my Mac at
home. Feel free to adjust the contrast as you see fit. If these are
really too dark for you, I will play with them some more and remount.

The Southern flat was photographed in Charlottesville, Virginia, circa
1987. SPMW 7055 was taken at Roseville, California in April 1998. SPMW
7105 was also found at Roseville in May 1994. I was the photographer of
all three pictures. You are welcome to use these on your web site, or
for any other non-commercial purpose, as you see fit. Credit would be
appreciated, but is not required.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Group,

My apologies. My note on the scans was intended only for John Nierich.
Oops. Anyway, the rest of you might find them interesting, though they
are a bit out of this group's era.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff