Topics

Boxcar With Roof Hatches

Lester Breuer

Regarding MINX 1040, I forgot the ORER, January 1953, 25 cars in service in the series 1001 to  1040  and 1040 not listed among vacant numbers so still in service.

Lester Breuer

Lester Breuer

Garth regarding  MINX 1040 wood boxcar with hatches, straight steel center sills, here is what I have.

Based on reporting marks requesting empty return to Corona, California, car 1040 was used to deliver roofing granules manufactured at that plant.

Equipment register: the earliest ORER entry Richard Hendrickson could find was June, 1938.

Mike Nolan article in Minnagazette, Fall 2002
ORER July 1950 shows 49 boxcars all with roof hatches, really small pipes with caps.

ORER January 1965 shows 12 of these MINX cars still in use.  Since car 1040 is not listed among them it must have been retired by this time.

There is no evidence of who built  the cars.  Best guess is cars purchased second hand.

Lester Breuer

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff wrote:

Add WP to your list. By 1940 some of their double-sheathed boxcars from series 16001-18500 were renumbered to series 26001-26125 and were assigned to bulk plaster service out of Gerlach, Nevada.

     Garth, I thought it was the single-sheathed cars, originally  numbered 15001-16000, that were renumbered into the 26000 series and some of them given roof hatches. The 16001-18500 cars were double sheathed, were they not?

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Lester,

Curious about what happened to MINX 1040? See my Groups IO photo album at https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/album?id=45161 .

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 1:51 PM Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:
Jim Gates wrote, “3M had several.........”

Richard Hendrickson  provided additional  photos when I built this Train Miniature boxcar.  We exchanged data we had on the cars.  The primary purpose of the cars was to haul roofing granulars loaded through the roof hatches.

Lester Breuer

Attachments:

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tim and Friends,

Add WP to your list. By 1940 some of their double-sheathed boxcars from series 16001-18500 were renumbered to series 26001-26125 and were assigned to bulk plaster service out of Gerlach, Nevada. The earliest references I have to the roof hatches is in the 1949 ORER, with 20 cars having four hatches, and 15 having just two, from a total of 122 cars. By 1958 the fleet was down to just 24 cars, with just two having four hatches, and one having two. I presume the rest of the class were loaded through their main doors with some sort of "grain door" arrangement to keep the plaster from leaking out. Where these cars went from Gerlach is still a mystery to me, but I would be surprised if they operated of WP rails, unless they were turned over to UP or D&RGW for unloading in the Salt Lake City area.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 10:15 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:
Bob

A quick scan of the hard drive shows ACL, ATSF, BAR, BN, CN, CG, CP, D&H, DTI, EL, GN,
HS, LV, MILW, MONON, MP, N&W, NS, OAR, PC, PRR, RI, SAL, SCL, SOU, TH&B, UP, and WABASH
all had box cars with roof hatches.

And that's not a complete list. Tony mentioned the SP, too.

Tim

On 10/30/2019 5:51 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Boxcar With Roof Hatches

I've seen a few photos of boxcars with roof hatches for loading such commodities as aluminum dross, cement, various clays, lime and spent grain.

All of the photos I've seen are associated with shippers in the Southeast and Midwest.

Would such boxcars have served shippers in the Southwest to any degree?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Lester Breuer

Jim Gates wrote, “3M had several.........”

Richard Hendrickson  provided additional  photos when I built this Train Miniature boxcar.  We exchanged data we had on the cars.  The primary purpose of the cars was to haul roofing granulars loaded through the roof hatches.

Lester Breuer

Jim Mischke

In the 1950's and 1960's, B&O added roof hatches to some M-26 boxcars (based on 1923 ARA standard steel boxcars, a la PRR X29), which were given new subclasses upon conversion.   Mainly for dry chemicals, clay powder, and brickmaking additives.   Shippers could load in bulk through the hatches, unloaded by consignees by hand out the door.   No hoppers.

Marty McGuirk

Add Central Vermont to the list.

On Nov 2, 2019, at 11:22 PM, Jim Gates via Groups.Io <jim.gates@...> wrote:

3M had several that were at home on the Santa Fe's Corona branch.

Jim Gates

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 4:51:29 PM CDT, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

[...]

David Wiggs

ACL had Pullman Standard build them some boxcars with roof hatches in the 1960s to haul kailin.  These steel cars had the bracing on the outside, were painted white or light grey and had red lettering.  Tichy, I believe, sells decals for these cars.  A SC buddy of mine made some in 1-48 scale back in the late 1980s.

davo in Orlando

Charlie Vlk

Could be for hauling dried processed sewage from the IC subsidiary Illinois Northern which could get it from the Metropolitan Sanitary District of Chicago.   The MSDC had their own dump cars which presumably hauled the wet “product” to dumps on the IN and there, after drying, it was further processed.   I know you could get dump truck loads of the stuff delivered in the Chicago area; don’t know if it was bagged and shipped elsewhere or if it was shipped bulk without packaging out of the area.

Charlie Vlk

The IC had fertilizer sludge cars (I have no idea what fertilizer sludge is) they converted from SS boxcars they acquired from the Tennessee Coal and Iron Railroad.  I haven't got a photo but the diagram sheet says 4 roof hatches and plywood lining.

Jeff White

Alma, IL

On 10/30/2019 9:16 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

[...]

Jeffrey White

[...]

mopacfirst

Add T&P, for maybe 5 cars.

Ron Merrick

Craig Wilson

Beyond the scope of this list but . . . these cars relate to the subject line and the cars have built dates prior to 1960.

In 1965 Canadian National modified 40-foot boxcars with roof hatches for potash loading (Melville Sask).  These cars were routed to smaller co-ops and elevators (including in the US) that could not handle the larger 100-ton covered hoppers.  The rectangular hatches were underneath the running boards second panel in from the ends.

CN 440000-440199:  10-0 IH cars, NSC-2 ends, rectangular panel roof, 6-foot doors, blt 1945
Photo on p. 6 of Canadian Rail Car Pictorial, Vol 2 A, by Richard Yaremko

CN 442000-442099:  10-6 IH cars, NSC-3 ends, combination roof*, 8-foot doors, blt 1957
Photo on p. 26 of Canadian Rail Car Pictorial, Vol 2 A, by Richard Yaremko
*Interesting looking roof:  center panels NSC style (look like PS bowtie panels), second panel in from the ends rectangular shape and have hatches under the running board, outermost panels blank.  Elgin Car Shops (Yarmouth) makes a model of the unmodified version of this car.

Captions in the books indicate that these car were in service 1965-1990.

Craig Wilson

Armand Premo

Can we also add those with hopper bottoms.Armand Premo

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 6:57 AM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:
B&O converted some of their USRA single-sheathed boxcars with roof hatches in the late 1920s.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On October 30, 2019 at 8:16 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

Donald B. Valentine

And the Central Vermont can be added to that list as well for a very small number of 40 ft. boxcars that had
roof hatches added for grain shipment.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Fred Jansz

Edited

And Fred adds to that the WP 26001-26125 series of cars, with either 2 or 4 roof hatches. Ran from US Gypsum plant's exchange in Gerlach NV to San Fransisco. So not to the Southeast I'm afraid. (© Picture N.Holmes)
best regards,
Fred Jansz

Tim O'Connor

[...]

SP had such box cars for cement.