Topics

Restrictions on Truck Painting, was Truck Color

Guy Wilber

Nelson wrote:  "To simplify my question, which roads painted trucks boxcar red? I’m modeling 1953, so that limits the range to wood DS and SS boxcars, 1932, 1937, and PS-1 boxcars, and misc. hoppers, gondolas and flat cars appropriate for my era."

Nelson,

Restrictions on painting of truck side frames and other parts were implemented in 1948.  The AAR's General Committee approved recommendations from the Car Construction and Arbitration Committees.  These were presented after complaints from a number of member roads regarding, "the impossibility of locating cracks in truck side frames due to the use of heavy bodied asphaltic paints."  The 1948 Interchange Rule 3, Section (t), paragraph (3-e) was revised and presented (via supplement) as such:

Rule 3, Section (t), paragraph (3-e)  New or secondhand truck sides and truck bolsters must not be painted with heavy asphaltic, tar or cement base paints; however, such parts may be coated with light bodied paint that will not prevent detection of flaws or cracks in ordinary inspection.  Car wheels must not be painted.  

"Note.--Existing truck sides and bolsters painted with heavy base paint or having accumulation of rust scale, must have such paint and scale removed when cars go through general repairs."

In 1958 paragraph (3-e) was moved to (3-d), and modified:

Rule 3, Section (t), paragraph (3-e)  New or secondhand truck sides and truck bolsters must not be painted with heavy asphaltic, tar or cement base paints; however, such parts may be coated with light bodied paint that will not prevent detection of flaws or cracks in ordinary inspection.  If interiors of journal boxes are painted, extreme care must be exercised to use paint which will not flake, scale, peel or otherwise contaminate the car oil.Car wheels must not be painted.  

"Note.--Existing truck sides and bolsters painted with heavy base paint or having accumulation of rust scale, must have such paint and scale removed when cars go through general repairs."

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada    

_._,_._,_