Topics

Made a start (WP SS boxcar)

radiodial868

We've discussed the Single Sheath boxcars over on the WP Modelers FB site a couple of times. Bill Kennedy has decals that cover the 26000 series with the proper medallion. Here is an image of the cars in Plaster service that covers the roof a little better (but not perfectly). I keep playing with doing the Accurail conversion, but the more details I find out about the prototype, the more I keep going back to Sketch-up and playing with making parts to make a pattern master for Andrew Dahm to cast. It's doable - if I could just get the time. Such a common lament...
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

Andy Carlson

I offered HO WP 40' SS resin box car kits 20+ years ago and I was selling as many as I received orders for. I doubt that I sold more that 30 kits. I even sold far fewer of the 40' stock cars which the WP made in 1937 from donor 40' box cars. I have found that WP modelers were very unsupportive  back then and I would not be surprised to see that things have changed this last 2 decades.

However, I have found that the GN folks were pretty positive and I appreciated their support. Before I dump more on the WP crowd, I remind myself that they are not very large in numbers. The WP modelers io site often gets less than 12 postings per month. Yet the few modelers have some very proven talent.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Friday, December 6, 2019, 7:01:07 PM PST, radiodial868 <radiodial@...> wrote:

We've discussed the Single Sheath boxcars over on the WP Modelers FB site a couple of times. Bill Kennedy has decals that cover the 26000 series with the proper medallion. Here is an image of the cars in Plaster service that covers the roof a little better (but not perfectly). I keep playing with doing the Accurail conversion, but the more details I find out about the prototype, the more I keep going back to Sketch-up and playing with making parts to make a pattern master for Andrew Dahm to cast. It's doable - if I could just get the time. Such a common lament...
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

Fred Jansz

Edited

HI Andy,

i don't know which WP group you are referring to, but my Western Pacific Modelers Group on Facebook currently has 922 enthusiastic members of which the talented Mr. RJ -who replied to your message- is a very active and talented one.
There are frequently several posts per day: questions, tips & hints, pictures, videos, scratchbuilding projects, club activities, purchases and items for sale.
It's THE bees hive of WP modeling.

I'm since 2012 one of the initiators of the 'new' Pullman WP 15001 cars project and tried to get the cars produced in brass and approached several resin builders.
Brass was a bridge too far (and too expensive) and none of the resin builders were interested up to this date.
One of the group's members sat down and tried to make plans in sketchup, but as far as I know he did not succeed.
I now read RJ plans to do the same.

FYI: a few years back I held a poll in the WP group (which was a lot smaller then) and the result was that there was a potential for 50-60 cars; box and stock.
The original15001-series of cars were almost gone by 1948 (most rebuilt, renumbered), but some lived as long as WP itself into the 1980's.

Of course there were the famous renumbered 26001-series of plaster cars with either 2 or 4 roof hatches and specific lettering (text on door sorted out by YT and decals made by Bill Kennedy).
Plus there were the stockcars, the MOW cars and of course the many OB cabooses derived from those Pullman built 15001-series of cars.
So many opportunities!
Trucks could be the Andrews type by Accurail, which might be a fraction too long, but resemble the WP trucks at best IMHO.

Last but not least: I have copies of the original Pullman drawings for you to use, in case you'd want to adapt your original master to 2020.
(the Mainline drawings show a faulty roof).
Hope these cars will see a rerun, I'd be good for 5 boxes and 5 stocks.

regards,
Fred Jansz
WP Modelers Group

BTW: the specific Pullman-WP 15001 series roof saddles would be a challenge to model!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WesternPacificModelersGroup/

Paul Doggett

Hi RJ

Who is Bill Kennedy ? Thank you for the photo and the information.

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 7 Dec 2019, at 03:01, radiodial868 <radiodial@...> wrote:

We've discussed the Single Sheath boxcars over on the WP Modelers FB site a couple of times. Bill Kennedy has decals that cover the 26000 series with the proper medallion. Here is an image of the cars in Plaster service that covers the roof a little better (but not perfectly). I keep playing with doing the Accurail conversion, but the more details I find out about the prototype, the more I keep going back to Sketch-up and playing with making parts to make a pattern master for Andrew Dahm to cast. It's doable - if I could just get the time. Such a common lament...
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA
<26123-SS-Plaster.jpg>

Scott H. Haycock

On December 6, 2019 at 8:52 PM Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

" The WP modelers io site often gets less than 12 postings per month. Yet the few modelers have some very proven talent.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA"

Can anyone provide a link to the io site Andy is referring to?

Scott Haycock

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Andy,

I tried to order these castings from you. You had already decided to end production and sent my check back. I later managed to pick up both sets of castings on the used market. Someday I will get around to building them. They're at the top of my list, but other non-railroad projects and my O-scale interests are in the way.

You are correct about both the moribund WP and SN web groups. From being quite active a few years ago, they are now virtual dead zones. Both groups are still open on Yahoo, though the list owners also migrated them to Groups IO. I may be the only person who has posted to either at the new location, and got no replies. Or maybe I'm somehow blocked; some servers don't play well with CenturyLink/Embarq, but I'm not getting anything via my gmail account either. (Sigh!)

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 10:52 PM Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Paul,
if you become a member of my WP modelers group, you can address Bill Kennedy directly.
BTW: the picture used was scanned by me from the Ryczskowski WP book.
It was originally taken by Norman Holmes.
cheers,
Fred Jansz

Paul Doggett

Hi Fred

Thank you, I have found some decals that will do I am leaving the roof as Tony Thompson said some got metal roofs and the underframe has been modified with
 evergreen channel so it’s not a fishbelly the air reservoir has also been moved. When it’s painted I will post another photo I suspect it’s a bit to high but makes a reasonable stand in.

Paul

On 7 Dec 2019, at 12:05, Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,
if you become a member of my WP modelers group, you can address Bill Kennedy directly.
BTW: the picture used was scanned by me from the Ryczskowski WP book.
It was originally taken by Norman Holmes.
cheers,
Fred Jansz

radiodial868

  • Meant to include the lineage of the plaster car photo in the original post but hit send just as I remembered.
  • Was hoping Fred Jansz was going to chime in and he didn't disappoint.
  • As for the old SN and the two WP lists, they shriveled up and died in Yahoo and .io worlds (I still belong to all versions). Everything moved over to Face Book and is very much alive there - very much a visual medium. That is what brought everyone out of the background.
  • I keep watching for your old kits Andy, I alone could use 10 or more.
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Can anyone read the small writing on the door below the herald?

Claus Schlund

We've discussed the Single Sheath boxcars over on the WP Modelers FB site a couple of times. Bill Kennedy has decals that cover the 26000 series with the proper medallion. Here is an image of the cars in Plaster service that covers the roof a little better (but not perfectly). I keep playing with doing the Accurail conversion, but the more details I find out about the prototype, the more I keep going back to Sketch-up and playing with making parts to make a pattern master for Andrew Dahm to cast. It's doable - if I could just get the time. Such a common lament...
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

Fred Jansz

Claus,

PLASTER CAR
WHEN EMPTY
RETURN TO GERLACH

COLLAPSIBLE BULK HEADS

best regards,
Fred Jansz

Fred Jansz

Edited

Hi Paul,

the roof consists of overlapping steel sheets, nothing more (no battens like the Accurail car has).
10 sheets of 3’5” and 2 of 3’-3 7/16"
This never changed.

cheers,
Fred

mel perry

no seams?
thsnks
mel perry

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019, 12:36 PM Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Paul,

the roof consists of overlapping steel sheets, nothing more (no battens like the Accurail car has).
10 sheets of 3’5” and 2 of 3’-3 7/16"
This never changed.

cheers,
Fred

Paul Doggett

Fred
thanks for the information.
Paul

On 8 Dec 2019, at 20:36, Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Paul,

the roof consists of overlapping steel sheets, nothing more (no battens like the Accurail car has).
10 sheets of 3’5” and 2 of 3’-3 7/16"
This never changed.

cheers,
Fred