Topics

HO Scale Utah Coal Route GS Gondola Kits Available

Corey Bonsall

Hello everyone,

I've just completed a batch of Utah Coal Route GS gondola kits in HO scale, and listed them on Ebay.  There are two options for grab irons: solid "cast" type, and wire grab drill points.  Thanks for looking!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=bonsallscalecarshops&_sop=10

Corey Bonsall

Tony Thompson

Corey Bonsall wrote:

I've just completed a batch of Utah Coal Route GS gondola kits in HO scale, and listed them on Ebay.  There are two options for grab irons: solid "cast" type, and wire grab drill points.  Thanks for looking!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=bonsallscalecarshops&_sop=10

    Doggonit, Corey! Now I have no excuse not to have accurate UCR cars!! But great choice, and I will look forward to seeing one of these.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Corey I was very excited to see this car, and the model looks really good. :-)

But the LETTERING !! I'm beyond the time in my life when I am satisfied with
mediocre lettering. Would Ted Culotta be interested in doing lettering for your
models? His artwork is impeccable.

Anyway I'm hopeful something can be done, because I am really interested in
models of these cars. Were there any other owners of the same gondolas? They
remind me of some other GS gons.

Tim O'

On 12/7/2019 7:59 PM, Corey Bonsall wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've just completed a batch of Utah Coal Route GS gondola kits in HO scale, and listed them on Ebay.  There are two options for grab irons: solid "cast" type, and wire grab drill points.  Thanks for looking!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=bonsallscalecarshops&_sop=10

Corey Bonsall

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

lrkdbn

These cars look extremely well done. Two questions- who does your printing, and what is the resin or plastic that is used?
Sincerely,
Larry King ,<lrkdbn@...>

Corey Bonsall

Hi Larry,

I'm 3D printing these at home on a Formlabs Form 2 SLA resin printer, it uses a acrylic liquid resin that is UV photo-sensitive.  I do end up with some support blemishes on one side of the car, but those can be manipulated in the printer software to be on easily-sandable locations.  Its a wholly different animal than the cast resins or styrene.

I'm also doing the decals myself, using a Ghost White laser toner cartridge on Microscale paper.

Tim, I'm still learning Inkscape to do the artwork, but my middle age and one bad eye must be getting to me, I cannot see hardly any difference between the model and the photo.  That is one of the very photos I stared at for days to create the artwork too.  I am probably biased though...

These cars did have a lot of similar cousins, I think the CB&Q/C&S had some very close, as well as the 43k series D&RGW.  If we tweak the end side sheets, we get the D&SL cars as well.  The main set of prints I used to draft was a pre-WWI USRA pattern with a few tweaks, so some of the design components/ratios showed up in a lot of cars to follow.

Thanks everyone for the feedback,

Corey Bonsall