Topics

Another "What do I do with this" quiz

Clark Propst

I a weak moment I picked up an Accurail box car at the mall show yesterday. It's box number is 4498 It's described as a 'Data Only - DK'. I thought it might work for the CL mini-kit, only noticing the steel door, but it has too many side posts. Besides the 3 posts on either side of the door which is corrugated steel it has 7/8 Murphy ends. 
The quiz part is: What can I make this car "Fairly" accurately?
Thanks lot for your advise,
CW Propst

David

Out of the box, it's good for the Canadian Pacific cars it was modeled after. Light modifications will get you DM&N 3300-3399.

David Thompson

Eric Hansmann

It took me awhile to find the product number on the Accurail site. Here’s what Clark bought, but as a data only with dark paint.

http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/4500/4512.JPG

Check out this February 1993 Richard Hendrickson article to see what is possible.

http://original.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/144/10388/february-1993-page-14

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clark Propst
Sent: Sunday, December 8, 2019 9:36 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Another "What do I do with this" quiz

I a weak moment I picked up an Accurail box car at the mall show yesterday. It's box number is 4498 It's described as a 'Data Only - DK'. I thought it might work for the CL mini-kit, only noticing the steel door, but it has too many side posts. Besides the 3 posts on either side of the door which is corrugated steel it has 7/8 Murphy ends. 
The quiz part is: What can I make this car "Fairly" accurately?
Thanks lot for your advise,
CW Propst

Robert kirkham

Well, I have to disagree on the CPR car. The CPR cars (built in the 23XXXX series; many re-built and renumbered by Clark's era) used hat section trusses, not Zs used on the Accurail car. A closer model to CPR is the Tichy USRA single sheathed boxcar with 7/8 ends, although the roof and other details are imperfect and the overall car width is slightly wide.

The Accurail car is excellent for a CNR car.

Rob Kirkham

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of David via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, December 8, 2019 9:56 AM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Another "What do I do with this" quiz

Out of the box, it's good for the Canadian Pacific cars it was modeled after. Light modifications will get you DM&N 3300-3399.

David Thompson

Clark Propst

Rob Kirkham wrote: "The Accurail car is excellent for a CNR car."
I've got a F&C CN SS car waiting for Black Cat decals. Would the Accurail model be the same car? If not what series would the model be in?

Thanks Rod and all,
CW Propst

Dave Parker

There is lots of good info on the Accurail model, and how it relates to specific CN cars in the Hendrickson article that Eric provided the link for in message 168561.  IMO, the model needs some minor bashing to to be accurate, and there are opportunities for some upgrades as well.  Richard's article is a "must read" if you want to make a prototypically correct car out of the Accurail (again, IMO).
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Kemal Mumcu

I think we're talking about 2 separate Accurail models if I'm not mistaken. Clark's model has dreadnought ends? The Accurail article refers to a similar single sheathed car with re-enforced ends. I'm not sure which prototype Clark's car represents but it's not CN.

Colin Meikle

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 03:30 PM, Kemal Mumcu wrote:
Clark's model has dreadnought ends?
Clark's model has 7/8 corrugated ends. While it's true that all this style boxcar built for CNR had single sheathed ends, they did receive an order of door and a half automobile cars that were 9'-0" IH and had corrugated ends. 9'-0" quickly proved to be too small for an auto car, and these were subsequently rebuilt as single door boxcars with steel doors, keeping their original steel ends. That's the prototype for the Accurail 4400 and 4500 series carbody. I unfortunately don't have number series info at my finger tips.

I thought Rail Model Journal did a later article on prototypes for the nine panel Z bar cars with steel ends.

Dennis Storzek

Clark Propst

Thanks to all!  Yes, Colin is close and Dennis is correct (he should know) The car has 7/8 ends. 
The article Eric provided the link to was for wood ended cars. There is another article on making CV 1 1/2 door cars. 
It's not the same as the F&C car.
All's I need now is the number series and I can have two Canadian lumber cars. I will check the Accurail website for a number series.
CW Propst

Joseph

Clark, I have the articles copied and ready to mail to you)my scanner is not playing with the laptop today)
Joe Binish

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 6:21 PM Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:
Thanks to all!  Yes, Colin is close and Dennis is correct (he should know) The car has 7/8 ends. 
The article Eric provided the link to was for wood ended cars. There is another article on making CV 1 1/2 door cars. 
It's not the same as the F&C car.
All's I need now is the number series and I can have two Canadian lumber cars. I will check the Accurail website for a number series.
CW Propst

Kemal Mumcu

So I was wrong! Clark, for the CN cars you seek the article you want to read is Railmodel Journal October 2000. Available on TrainLife I believe.

Colin Meikle

Clark Propst

I received this link http://nakina.net/cn/cn5.html from Calvin Monaghan off the resin car list. I couldn't find any info pointing to a number series for the Accurail 4400 series cars.  Dennis Storzek remembers door and a half cars being rebuilt. Joe Binish sent me scans of article in Mainline Modeler by Stafford Swain. He talked about those rebuilds, but only mentioned wood door cars. 
I might just pick a small number series of rebuilt cars off the link and let someone with proof tell be I'm wrong  ;  ))
CW Propst