Topics

Another "What do I do with this" quiz

Clark Propst

I a weak moment I picked up an Accurail box car at the mall show yesterday. It's box number is 4498 It's described as a 'Data Only - DK'. I thought it might work for the CL mini-kit, only noticing the steel door, but it has too many side posts. Besides the 3 posts on either side of the door which is corrugated steel it has 7/8 Murphy ends.
The quiz part is: What can I make this car "Fairly" accurately?
Thanks lot for your advise,
CW Propst

David

Out of the box, it's good for the Canadian Pacific cars it was modeled after. Light modifications will get you DM&N 3300-3399.

David Thompson

Eric Hansmann

It took me awhile to find the product number on the Accurail site. Here’s what Clark bought, but as a data only with dark paint.

http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/4500/4512.JPG

Check out this February 1993 Richard Hendrickson article to see what is possible.

http://original.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/144/10388/february-1993-page-14

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

I a weak moment I picked up an Accurail box car at the mall show yesterday. It's box number is 4498 It's described as a 'Data Only - DK'. I thought it might work for the CL mini-kit, only noticing the steel door, but it has too many side posts. Besides the 3 posts on either side of the door which is corrugated steel it has 7/8 Murphy ends.
The quiz part is: What can I make this car "Fairly" accurately?
Thanks lot for your advise,
CW Propst

Robert kirkham

Well, I have to disagree on the CPR car. The CPR cars (built in the 23XXXX series; many re-built and renumbered by Clark's era) used hat section trusses, not Zs used on the Accurail car. A closer model to CPR is the Tichy USRA single sheathed boxcar with 7/8 ends, although the roof and other details are imperfect and the overall car width is slightly wide.

The Accurail car is excellent for a CNR car.

Rob Kirkham