Topics

micro coat flat

Jon Miller

    I need some new "micro coat flat" but see it's a different item now.  Appears to be water based.  I read some reviews that said it dried glossy.  The old stuff dried really flat.  Any comments on the new?  Is it easy to air brush?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Bill Welch

If you are speaking of Microscale's "micro coat flat," I have used it for over 20 years and it has always been water based. It is flat but thankfully not as flat as things like Dull Coat. Is the Microscale product what you are referring to Jon?

Bill Welch

Jon Miller

On 12/26/2019 4:17 PM, Bill Welch wrote:
I have used it for over 20 years and it has always been water based

    I don't agree with that.  Have Micro Coat Flat right in front of me.  Just smelled it.  It's an oil base paint.  It's been a while so I don't remember what I thinned it with.

    The new stuff says water or alcohol.  What I'm worried about is how flat is the new stuff.  Also read reviews (just some) that said it dried glossy which I'm worried about.  Will get some and just try it I guess.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Craig Zeni

6a. micro coat flat
From: Jon Miller <atsfus@...>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 18:16:01 EST

I need some new "micro coat flat" but see it's a different item now. Appears to be water based. I read some reviews that said it dried glossy. The old stuff dried really flat. Any comments on the new? Is it easy to air brush?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS
I've been using a flat finish from a Polish company called Hataka. It's thinned with lacquer thinner, comes in a small squeeze bottle with a dropper dip and a metal agitation ball in the bottle. Dries very flat. Have seen it on Ebay, bought mine from spruebrothers.com .

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

Jon Miller

On 12/26/2019 6:40 PM, Craig Zeni wrote:
bought mine from spruebrothers.com

    They list two types, matt and satin, no flat.  As these come from the EU what is the same as flat, matt?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Craig Zeni

3a. Re: micro coat flat
From: Jon Miller <atsfus@...>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 11:58:31 EST

/On 12/26/2019 6:40 PM, Craig Zeni wrote://
/
/bought mine from spruebrothers.com/
They list two types, matt and satin, no flat. As these come from the EU what is the same as flat, matt?
Satin - semi gloss.
Matte - flat

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

Greg Martin

Jon,

You're right it was solvent  based but did become acrylic.  I know because mine was so old that the plastic bottle cracked and dried up.  What does that tell you?

I don't like acrylic because it doesn't/can't lay flat in most cases. I switched to Dullcoat against my better judgement.

Greg Martin

On 12/26/2019 4:17 PM, Bill Welch wrote:
I have used it for over 20 years and it has always been water based

    I don't agree with that.  Have Micro Coat Flat right in front of me.  Just smelled it.  It's an oil base paint.  It's been a while so I don't remember what I thinned it with.

    The new stuff says water or alcohol.  What I'm worried about is how flat is the new stuff.  Also read reviews (just some) that said it dried glossy which I'm worried about.  Will get some and just try it I guess.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

--
Hey Boss,

Somehow I got deleted from this group in late May. I guess someone didn't like me. Jail is a lonely place.

Greg Martin

Jon Miller

On 12/28/2019 1:27 PM, Greg Martin via Groups.Io wrote:

I don't like acrylic because it doesn't/can't lay flat in most cases. I switched to Dullcoat against my better judgement.

    In the same age category I have some "Dullcote Lacquer" and a bottle of "Scalecoat" S51 flat glaze.  Lacquer is easy to deal with and I also have a couple of pints of Scalecoat thinner.  Will let you know when I do some samples.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Greg Martin

Thanks Jon,  pleae let me know. I love dead flat. I appreciate you!

Greg Martin

[...]

spsalso

If'n you have a bottle of clear, and you wonder whether it is gloss or flat:  the flat will have "sediment" (the flattening agent), after it's been sitting awhile.

When I've wanted more "flatness" in my clearcoats, I've waited for the sediment to settle, and poured off some of the clear.  I did it with Floquil.  And I do it for Dullcoat.

Ed

Edward Sutorik