Topics

Retainer Valves - HO Scale


Bob Chapman
 

I'm sadly about to exhaust my stash of extra retainer valves supplied with Sunshine Models kits.

Any good HO scale aftermarket part favorites?

A Google search brought up retainers available from Shapeways by Kadwell Manufacturing. Are these prototype-model quality? 

Thanks!
Bob Chapman


Jack Burgess
 

Every sprue of air brake parts from Tichy and Grandt Line includes a retainer valve. But I don’t know of any source of just retainer valves…

 

Jack Burgess

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Chapman
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2019 8:32 PM
To: STMFC
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Retainer Valves - HO Scale

 

I'm sadly about to exhaust my stash of extra retainer valves supplied with Sunshine Models kits.

 

Any good HO scale aftermarket part favorites?

 

A Google search brought up retainers available from Shapeways by Kadwell Manufacturing. Are these prototype-model quality? 

 

Thanks!

Bob Chapman


Mansell Peter Hambly
 

Precision Scale sells both brass and  plastic. I can not recall the part numbers however.

 

Mansell Peter Hambly   

COQUITLAM, B.C.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Jack Burgess
Sent: December 26, 2019 8:56 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Retainer Valves - HO Scale

 

Every sprue of air brake parts from Tichy and Grandt Line includes a retainer valve. But I don’t know of any source of just retainer valves…

 

Jack Burgess

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Chapman
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2019 8:32 PM
To: STMFC
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Retainer Valves - HO Scale

 

I'm sadly about to exhaust my stash of extra retainer valves supplied with Sunshine Models kits.

 

Any good HO scale aftermarket part favorites?

 

A Google search brought up retainers available from Shapeways by Kadwell Manufacturing. Are these prototype-model quality? 

 

Thanks!

Bob Chapman

 


Nelson Moyer
 

Precision Scale in plastic. Traveling, so don’t have part number now.

Nelson Moyer

On Dec 26, 2019, at 8:32 PM, Bob Chapman <chapbob611@...> wrote:

I'm sadly about to exhaust my stash of extra retainer valves supplied with Sunshine Models kits.

Any good HO scale aftermarket part favorites?

A Google search brought up retainers available from Shapeways by Kadwell Manufacturing. Are these prototype-model quality? 

Thanks!
Bob Chapman


Bill Welch
 

I did a search of the group's archives using "prescision scale retainer valve" and after many messages regarding the sale of PSC there are several references to the part number from myself and Fention. Hint the last two digits are "96"

The Tichy retainer valve is a little blob. I would never disagree w/Jack Burgess but I just looked and I am positive that there is NO Retainer Valve part on the styrene portion of the Detail Associates (and Grandt Line) sprue or engineering plastic sprue. Out of production by GL for a few years now, grab all you can of either since they are identical as the styrene brake parts are some the best. Toss the engineering plastic sprue as it defies adhesives.

Bill Welch


gtws00
 

The part # for the Precision Retainer is 31796.
I recently contacted them about how to now order since they were sold as my stock level is getting low. Below is the reply I received from Teresa at Precision
"We haven't been able to update the website yet to make it easier for ordering.  You can call in or email orders (509-528-9711  precisionscaleco@...). We accept Credit Card or Paypal but will also accept personal checks for the those who prefer that method of payment."

George Toman


Lester Breuer
 

Tichy on the #3013 spruce with no part number; however, across from the bell crank #22-3013 - inexpensive

Precision Scale in plastic #31796 about $ .84 each last time I ordered them, 4 per package
I do not know brass part number as do not use.

Another possible option is to cast your own.  Press the part you have into clay or silicone mold putty ( MicroMark is one source) to make cheap quick mold and fill with and J_B Weld ( epoxy).  Will take some time to dry.

Another possible option is to cast your own in rubber molds and resin.

Lester Breuer


Bill Welch
 

Suggest trying #31796 on eBay and see if Prangles comes up. They purchased PSC Detail Parts business. Sure hope they purchased the production side of it too.

Bill Welch


mel perry
 

they nought the ENTIRE business
:-)
mel petry

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019, 6:48 AM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:
Suggest trying #31796 on eBay and see if Prangles comes up. They purchased PSC Detail Parts business. Sure hope they purchased the production side of it too.

Bill Welch


Scott
 


Tim O'Connor
 


Retainer valves were DEFINITELY part of the Detail Associates AB brake set, and it
was pre-cored for .008 wire. I have a small stash of parts from DA, Precision Scale,
and others.

The DA parts are exquisite and closer to scale than others. (Same as Grandt Line BTW.)

Some people continue to claim that DA parts are still in production, but I have yet
to see any evidence of that.

I have not checked but a retainer valve MAY be included in the beautiful AB set that
Terry Wegmann made for his Pacific Freight Enterprises reefer kit.

Tim O'


On 12/27/2019 7:07 AM, Bill Welch wrote:
I did a search of the group's archives using "prescision scale retainer valve" and after many messages regarding the sale of PSC there are several references to the part number from myself and Fention. Hint the last two digits are "96"

The Tichy retainer valve is a little blob. I would never disagree w/Jack Burgess but I just looked and I am positive that there is NO Retainer Valve part on the styrene portion of the Detail Associates (and Grandt Line) sprue or engineering plastic sprue. Out of production by GL for a few years now, grab all you can of either since they are identical as the styrene brake parts are some the best. Toss the engineering plastic sprue as it defies adhesives.

Bill Welch

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Jack Burgess
 

Speaking of retainer valves, where were they located on flat cars? The YV had several truss-rod flat cars and I don’t see retainer valves on either end. So maybe early flat cars didn’t have any.

 

I also don’t see them on the YV log cars of which the YV had 175. One builder’s photo shows a retainer on the end sill on the B end but it is missing in later photos. A YV brakeman told me that they set some of the retainers on the downhill/loaded log trains but when I asked him years later where the retainer was located he couldn’t remember.

 

Any ideas?

 

Jack Burgess


Bruce Smith
 

Jack,

They are usually on the side, near the B - end.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL


From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Jack Burgess <jack@...>
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2019 10:31 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Retainer Valves - HO Scale
 

Speaking of retainer valves, where were they located on flat cars? The YV had several truss-rod flat cars and I don’t see retainer valves on either end. So maybe early flat cars didn’t have any.

 

I also don’t see them on the YV log cars of which the YV had 175. One builder’s photo shows a retainer on the end sill on the B end but it is missing in later photos. A YV brakeman told me that they set some of the retainers on the downhill/loaded log trains but when I asked him years later where the retainer was located he couldn’t remember.

 

Any ideas?

 

Jack Burgess


Jack Burgess
 

I don’t see them on the sides of the log cars and it would be too easy to brake them off when the logs are rolled off. I’m guessing that they were on the inside of the end sill or side sill but I don’t see sign of the ends of the bolts/nuts which would have held them in place.

 

Jack Burgess

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bruce Smith
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2019 8:32 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Retainer Valves - HO Scale

 

Jack,

 

They are usually on the side, near the B - end.

 

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

 


From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Jack Burgess <jack@...>
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2019 10:31 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Retainer Valves - HO Scale

 

Speaking of retainer valves, where were they located on flat cars? The YV had several truss-rod flat cars and I don’t see retainer valves on either end. So maybe early flat cars didn’t have any.

 

I also don’t see them on the YV log cars of which the YV had 175. One builder’s photo shows a retainer on the end sill on the B end but it is missing in later photos. A YV brakeman told me that they set some of the retainers on the downhill/loaded log trains but when I asked him years later where the retainer was located he couldn’t remember.

 

Any ideas?

 

Jack Burgess


Peter Hall
 

Speaking of small parts for brake systems, does anyone know of a source for 0.015” brass wire?  I can’t find it from any of the usual sources.

Thanks
Pete

On Dec 27, 2019, at 10:46 AM, Jack Burgess <jack@...> wrote:

I don’t see them on the sides of the log cars and it would be too easy to brake them off when the logs are rolled off. I’m guessing that they were on the inside of the end sill or side sill but I don’t see sign of the ends of the bolts/nuts which would have held them in place. 
 
Jack Burgess
 
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bruce Smith
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2019 8:32 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Retainer Valves - HO Scale
 
Jack,
 
They are usually on the side, near the B - end.
 
Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL
 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Jack Burgess <jack@...>
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2019 10:31 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Retainer Valves - HO Scale
 
Speaking of retainer valves, where were they located on flat cars? The YV had several truss-rod flat cars and I don’t see retainer valves on either end. So maybe early flat cars didn’t have any. 
 
I also don’t see them on the YV log cars of which the YV had 175. One builder’s photo shows a retainer on the end sill on the B end but it is missing in later photos. A YV brakeman told me that they set some of the retainers on the downhill/loaded log trains but when I asked him years later where the retainer was located he couldn’t remember. 
 
Any ideas?
 
Jack Burgess



Tim O'Connor
 

Pete

Des Plaines Hobbies carries an incredible array of wire and tubing products. I'll be shocked
if they don't have any. Another item that I have is small STEEL wire (music wire) - great for
applications where you want wire that does not bend (e.g. tank car handrails, brake rods, etc).
My local "Hobby Town" store sells it.

Tim O'



On 12/27/2019 11:52 AM, Peter Hall wrote:
Speaking of small parts for brake systems, does anyone know of a source for 0.015” brass wire?  I can’t find it from any of the usual sources.

Thanks
Pete


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Pierre Oliver
 

Pete

Des Plaines Hobbies carries an incredible array of wire and tubing products. I'll be shocked
if they don't have any. Another item that I have is small STEEL wire (music wire) - great for
applications where you want wire that does not bend (e.g. tank car handrails, brake rods, etc).
My local "Hobby Town" store sells it.

Tim O'



On 12/27/2019 11:52 AM, Peter Hall wrote:

Speaking of small parts for brake systems, does anyone know of a source for 0.015” brass wire?  I can’t find it from any of the usual sources.

Thanks
Pete


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Dennis Storzek
 

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 08:52 AM, Peter Hall wrote:
Speaking of small parts for brake systems, does anyone know of a source for 0.015” brass wire?  I can’t find it from any of the usual sources.
 
Tichy has .015" phosphor bronze wire, which I happen to like better than brass because it's stiffer. Here is a link to their catalog page:
https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/ho_wire/Default.aspx

Dennis Storzek


Jon Miller
 

On 12/27/2019 8:52 AM, Peter Hall wrote:
does anyone know of a source for 0.015” brass wire?

Tichy?

-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, 
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS


Donald B. Valentine
 

Prantle's HAD 14 on Greedbay. They have 0 now.

Cordially, Don Valentine.