Topics

DL&W 44078 (was Photo: SRLX Reefers)

Robert kirkham

I was wondering if there is an existing model for this other car (shown in the photo Bob has linked below.) It looks like the Tichy 3001 end would be a good starting point, and maybe ? an Accurail floor as a starting point.

I do not have any info on the history of these cars, so do not know if would still be running in 1946 when I model.  But it made me curious.  Would like to see decent photos of the car side and frame too.

Didn’t see this series mentioned in the list archives

Rob Kirkham

Photo: SRLX Reefers
Does anyone have details about the Swift refrigerator cars that are on the right side of this photo?
Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.
The lettering on the one car appears to say "Safety Refrigerator".
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Benjamin Hom

Rob Kirkham asked:
"I was wondering if there is an existing model for this other car (shown in the photo Bob has linked below.) It looks like the Tichy 3001 end would be a good starting point, and maybe ? an Accurail floor as a starting point."

Or, depending on the era modeled, you can pick up your choice of HO scale USRA double-sheathed boxcar model. DL&W 44200-44799, 600 cars.

"I do not have any info on the history of these cars, so do not know if would still be running in 1946 when I model.  But it made me curious.  Would like to see decent photos of the car side and frame too."

January 1940 ORER lists 439 cars, down to 18 cars by January 1950.  Cars received Hutchins roofs; your best bet for 1946 would be Westerfield 3863.
https://id18538.securedata.net/westerfieldmodels.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=238

Ben Hom

Robert kirkham

Thanks Ben. Well, good to put that confusion aside. My first impression had been steel sheathing and imagined a re-build. Looking twice, I see no rivets.

USRA double sheathed boxcar it is.

Rob

"I was wondering if there is an existing model for this other car (shown in the photo Bob has linked below.) It looks like the Tichy 3001 end would be a good starting point, and maybe ? an Accurail floor as a starting point."

Or, depending on the era modeled, you can pick up your choice of HO scale USRA double-sheathed boxcar model. DL&W 44200-44799, 600 cars.

"I do not have any info on the history of these cars, so do not know if would still be running in 1946 when I model.  But it made me curious.  Would like to see decent photos of the car side and frame too."

January 1940 ORER lists 439 cars, down to 18 cars by January 1950.  Cars received Hutchins roofs; your best bet for 1946 would be Westerfield 3863.
https://id18538.securedata.net/westerfieldmodels.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=238

Ben Hom

mel perry

i guess your first quest would be an
ORER for dims? for slicing & dicing
mel perry

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019, 11:52 AM Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
I was wondering if there is an existing model for this other car (shown in the photo Bob has linked below.) It looks like the Tichy 3001 end would be a good starting point, and maybe ? an Accurail floor as a starting point.

I do not have any info on the history of these cars, so do not know if would still be running in 1946 when I model.  But it made me curious.  Would like to see decent photos of the car side and frame too.

Didn’t see this series mentioned in the list archives

Rob Kirkham

Photo: SRLX Reefers
Does anyone have details about the Swift refrigerator cars that are on the right side of this photo?
Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.
The lettering on the one car appears to say "Safety Refrigerator".
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Mikebrock

Guys, to be on the safe side,

For those attending Prototype Rails 2020, at least one error in an attendee’s Schedule has surfaced. I noticed many more than the usual very small number of attendee’s checking out Saturday…Jan 11, 2020. Such a checkout is noon Saturday. More than one clinician, scheduled to give a clinic Saturday night, is shown in the hotel registration as having checked out at noon Saturday. Please check your checkout time. If you are giving a clinic on Saturday afternoon/night you might want to see if you are still here. And, of course, you might want to attend a clinic given by someone not here.

Note also that the cutoff for making a reservation [ and possibly a change ] is Dec 31….Tuesday.

Mike Brock
Prototype Rails Chairman

ed_mines

Rob, a nice kit for these cars is available from F&C.