From: gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...>
To: RealSTMFC <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Jan 12, 2020 6:20 am
Subject: [RealSTMFC] WP Rebuilt Boxcar

Here is a fine picture of a rebuilt WP boxcar:

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

--
Hey Boss,

Somehow I got deleted from this group in late May. I guess someone didn't like me. Jail is a lonely place.

Greg Martin

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Jack and Friends,

Since we can't see a car number or more of the side, an exact ID is impossible, but I can come close.

Originally these were WP 14001-14100, built in 1923 by Mt. Vernon. See attached builder's photo.

In 1936 50 were rebuilt as steel double-door auto cars, including auto racks, renumbered 19001-19050. Racks were later removed at an unspecified date and they became general boxcars. I don't know if the left-hand doors were bolted or welded shut.

In 1938 32 were rebuilt as steel single-door boxcars renumbered 14301-14332.

In 1941 15 more single-door boxcars were added as 14501-14514.

The three missing cars were probably lost to wrecks.

To confuse matters somewhat, WP also had Standard Steel build 300 nearly identical wood-sided auto cars in 1924 with Murphy ends numbered 14101-14300. These went through a similar conversion process to single-door boxcars. Most of both groups were scrapped by the late 1950s. Understandably, any photos of these cars are pretty rare, especially the ones with Hutchins ends, though Will Whittaker did manage to snap a few shots.

Sunshine offered both the single-door cars with both Hutchins and Murphy ends.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 9:53 AM Jack Mullen <jack.f.mullen@...> wrote:
Unusual  end. I  don't think I've seen one like this before.
There are at least 5 sections, perhaps 6, riveted together.
Each piece has one rectangular rib.  What is it?

Too bad more of the car isn't shown. Can anyone i.d. it?

Jack Mullen

Jack Mullen

Disregard my previous post. Hutchins of course, with height extended with a two rib Murphy section.
I know better and my only excuse is that I hadn't had coffee yet.   (Face red)
Jack

gary laakso

Yes, Hutchins ends.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

What type of end is that? Is it a Hutchins? Please pardon my ignorance if I am way off! LOL!

Tod C Dwyer

On Sunday, January 12, 2020, 09:20:17 AM EST, gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

Here is a fine picture of a rebuilt WP boxcar:

https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Emil-Albrecht-Photos/1947-Oct-Salt-Lake-City/i-7hsPfxj/A

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Jack Mullen

Unusual  end. I  don't think I've seen one like this before.
There are at least 5 sections, perhaps 6, riveted together.
Each piece has one rectangular rib.  What is it?

Too bad more of the car isn't shown. Can anyone i.d. it?

Jack Mullen

Riverboy