Topics

Help with a SP box car

vapeurchapelon

Hello Clark,

really nice looking model, no doubt, but please allow a question: -are you sure the brake rod orientation is correct? What I can see is an "ordinary" AB system, and the brake rods usually are oriented "diagonally" to each other, means the assembly at the B end is correct, but the brake rod at the A end would have to be placed to the other side of the lever.
Or am I missing something here?

Regards

Johannes
modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 15. Januar 2020 um 18:11 Uhr
Von: "Clark Propst" <cepropst@q.com>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] Help with a SP box car
I didn't have to leave town this morning so I finished....Thought I'd finished, just remembered the cut lever...The SP mini-kit, I'll add the uncoupling lever and paint next.
I'm also attaching a model I did the week before CCB. It's an old Sunshine "Unibody" kit for a KCS rebuilt box car. I was expecting a yellow casting flat kit. To my surprise I got a C&BT kit with a couple of resin castings....I used the two castings and the carbody, the rest is from my parts stash.
CW Propst 

Clark Propst

I didn't have to leave town this morning so I finished....Thought I'd finished, just remembered the cut lever...The SP mini-kit, I'll add the uncoupling lever and paint next.
I'm also attaching a model I did the week before CCB. It's an old Sunshine "Unibody" kit for a KCS rebuilt box car. I was expecting a yellow casting flat kit. To my surprise I got a C&BT kit with a couple of resin castings....I used the two castings and the carbody, the rest is from my parts stash.
CW Propst 

Bruce Smith

Tim,

National Scale Car is a new model company from Canada. http://nationalscalecar.com 
Lots of doors, tracks, details...
Ryan Menddell and his wife Samantha were at Cocoa Beach.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:11 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Help with a SP box car

Clark

National who ??

This is the B-50-20 represented by the IMWX (later Red Caboose) 1937 AAR box car. Many
cars by the late 1940's would have been relettered per the 1946 style with spelled out road name.

What is different about the NSC kit compared to the IMWX?

On 1/14/2020 2:34 PM, Clark Propst wrote:

At CCB (Great event had a wonderful time) I purchased a mini-kit from 'National Scale Car' for a SP box car, series 83420-83739. Kit basics are doors, lower tracks and decals. The only photo of a SP car in the instructions was taken later in life with larger roadname stenciling and lowered placards. I want to model the car for the late 40s, so I need to know the placement of the placard and route card board on the Superior door. Also there are three lettering choices on the decal sheet. Large roadname, smaller roadname for between the stripes above and below the roadname and number, and just initials for above the numbers between the stripes. These cars were built in 11-40. Which option would be appropriate?  From what photos I have I'm leaning towards just initials. I really need a photo showing the doors tho...I've got it ready for paint except for the doors.
CW Propst

Clark Propst

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 03:10 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
This mini-kit has the correct superior doors and etched door tracks, decals for an SP car. I could take photo before painting? Will be out of town most of tomorrow, but should have it ready for paint Thursday. I used an Intermountain kit as a base.
This guy was at CL too. There he had mini-kits with ends for Canadian box cars. He only had door kit versions at CCB.
CW Propst

Tim O'Connor

On 1/14/2020 7:03 PM, Peter Hall wrote:

http://steamerafreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/protofrtcarsmain.html

Well, Tim, here’s one who hasn’t done that - can you share?

Thanks
Pete

On Jan 14, 2020, at 5:15 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

SP hardware options (doors, brakes, running boards) are listed in the Steam Era Freight Cars
spreadsheet compiled by Ted Culotta and Ed Hawkins. Every steam era modeler should have loaded
that onto their hard drive by now. :-)

Tim

On 1/14/2020 2:45 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:

Clark Propst wrote:

At CCB (Great event had a wonderful time) I purchased a mini-kit from 'National Scale Car' for a SP box car, series 83420-83739. Kit basics are doors, lower tracks and decals. The only photo of a SP car in the instructions was taken later in life with larger roadname stenciling and lowered placards. I want to model the car for the late 40s, so I need to know the placement of the placard and route card board on the Superior door. Also there are three lettering choices on the decal sheet. Large roadname, smaller roadname for between the stripes above and below the roadname and number, and just initials for above the numbers between the stripes. These cars were built in 11-40. Which option would be appropriate?  From what photos I have I'm leaning towards just initials. I really need a photo showing the doors tho...I've got it ready for paint except for the doors.

Clark, I will send you a photo off-list. When built, they would have had just initials inside the stripes, but by the 1950s would have been repainted, doubtless with the spelled-out road name, adopted in 1946. So for the late '40s you can choose which you like. The cars were built with steel running boards, so you need to include that. I can tell which car numbers had which running boards, if you like.

Tony Thompson

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

SP hardware options (doors, brakes, running boards) are listed in the Steam Era Freight Cars
spreadsheet compiled by Ted Culotta and Ed Hawkins. Every steam era modeler should have loaded
that onto their hard drive by now. :-)

Tim

On 1/14/2020 2:45 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Clark Propst wrote:

Clark, I will send you a photo off-list. When built, they would have had just initials inside the stripes, but by the 1950s would have been repainted, doubtless with the spelled-out road name, adopted in 1946. So for the late '40s you can choose which you like. The cars were built with steel running boards, so you need to include that. I can tell which car numbers had which running boards, if you like.

Tony Thompson

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Clark

National who ??

This is the B-50-20 represented by the IMWX (later Red Caboose) 1937 AAR box car. Many
cars by the late 1940's would have been relettered per the 1946 style with spelled out road name.

On 1/14/2020 2:34 PM, Clark Propst wrote:
CW Propst
_._,_._,_

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Brian Carlson

Geez. I’m not even home from cocoa beach yet. Lol. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jan 14, 2020, at 2:34 PM, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

CW Propst

Tony Thompson

Clark Propst wrote:

Tony Thompson

Clark Propst

CW Propst