Topics

CC&O vs CRR reporting marks

Bill Welch

For some time now I have noticed that all of the Clinchfield's USRA assigned rolling stock—cabooses; 50-ton boxcars; 2-bay hoppers—carried "CC&O" reporting marks for most of their service lives if not all, certainly well into the 1950s while cars after the USRA period were stenciled "CCR." Curious if anyone knows why this was the case.

Bill Welch

Benjamin Hom

Bill Welch asked:
"For some time now I have noticed that all of the Clinchfield's USRA assigned rolling stock—cabooses; 50-ton boxcars; 2-bay hoppers—carried "CC&O" reporting marks for most of their service lives if not all, certainly well into the 1950s while cars after the USRA period were stenciled "CCR." Curious if anyone knows why this was the case."

Carolina, Clinchfield & Ohio (CC&O) was leased jointly by ACL and L&N effective December 1, 1924, who operated it using the Clinchfield Railroad (CRR) as the controlling company.

Ben Hom