6 Dome wine tank cars

John Hile <john66h@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Eddie Stavleu" <eddiestavleu@...> wrote:

John,

Do you photos and if so will you share them please

Eddie.
Eddie,

I do not have any photos of the Precision Scale cars.

Somewhere out there (on the web) is a b&w photo of GATX 417, a
6-compartment Victor California Wines, California Grape Products Co.
car. It is dark (black?) with light (white?) lettering.
Unfortunately, I did not bookmark or otherwise record its location.
Someone else on the list may know where to find it.

-John Hile

Rod Miller

A little over a year ago this was discussed IIRC on this group.
Someone posted two photos which I saved for future personal
reference. I just uploaded to the files section.

Rod

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Rod Miller wrote:
A little over a year ago this was discussed IIRC on this group. Someone posted two photos which I saved for future personal reference. I just uploaded to the files section.
Immediately obvious is the length to diameter ratio of these tanks, VERY different from the ROCO "inflatable."

Publishers of books on railroad history

Eddie Stavleu <eddiestavleu@...>

Thank you Rod,.

The Roma car will be a good help

Eddie.

John Hile wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., "Eddie Stavleu" <eddiestavleu@...> wrote:
>> John,
>>
>> Do you photos and if so will you share them please
>>
>> Eddie.
>>

> Eddie,
>
> I do not have any photos of the Precision Scale cars.
>
> Somewhere out there (on the web) is a b&w photo of GATX 417, a
> 6-compartment Victor California Wines, California Grape Products Co.
> car. It is dark (black?) with light (white?) lettering.
> Unfortunately, I did not bookmark or otherwise record its location.
> Someone else on the list may know where to find it.
>
> -John Hile

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 22, 2008, at 1:40 PM, John Hile wrote:

At some point, Precision Scale did a brass 6-dome wine car. I have
notes that there were three schemes...Roma, Madera. R. Martini. Model
#17524-? I saw one of these on eBay a few years ago, but don't recall
the underframe type, reporting marks, etc. IIRC the dome vents came
off the side of each dome...similar to the vent on Precision's Van
Dyke tank. Anyone have any info on these?
John, I have an undec PSC model. It's a relatively accurate and well
detailed model of a GATC car. But not, please note, of the AC&F cars
operated by SHPX and NATX, which had quite different underframes and
the safety vents on top of the domes, rather than on elbows on the
sides of the domes (some GATC cars also had larger domes with the
safeties on top). Note, too, that those were frangible disk safety
vents, NOT the spring-loaded safety valves required on ICC-103 and
ICC-104 cars for the shipment of regulatory commodities.

Richard Hendrickson

John Hile <john66h@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

John, I have an undec PSC model. It's a relatively accurate and well
detailed model of a GATC car. But not, please note, of the AC&F cars
operated by SHPX and NATX, which had quite different underframes and
the safety vents on top of the domes, rather than on elbows on the
sides of the domes (some GATC cars also had larger domes with the
safeties on top). Note, too, that those were frangible disk safety
vents, NOT the spring-loaded safety valves required on ICC-103 and
ICC-104 cars for the shipment of regulatory commodities.
Thanks for the info Richard. It will come in handy should one of
these cars turn up again and happen to fall into my hands!

John Hile