From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Keene via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2020 3:02 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] 70-TON BARBER STABLIZED S-2A TRUCK?

I pulled a Tichy model of a ATSF GA-61 "War Emergency" gondola off the shelf to complete. According to SANTA FE OPEN-TOP CARS by Richard Hendrickson these cars were equipped with 70-ton Barber Stabilized S-2A trucks. To my 74+year old eyes the side frames furnished with the kit do not look correct. Is there a recommended source for the 70-ton Barber Stabilized S-2A truth in HO scale?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

O Fenton Wells

I googled 70 ton truck and quite a few came up
Fenton

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 3:47 PM Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Check Tahoe Model Works.

I don’t know about that final A in the designation, buy you’d be very close.

Schuyler

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

brianleppert@att.net

See if the 70-ton Barber S-2A truck offered by Moloco matches. I can't find Hendrickson's book right now to see for myself.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

O Fenton Wells

I meant to say I googled 70-TON BARBER STABILIZED S-2A TRUCK  and many came up

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 3:50 PM O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:
[...]

Aha!  I found the book and the Moloco truck is what you want.  TR-6110 has normal wheels and TR 6088 has semi scale wheelsets.  Both are sold out at Moloco.  I've never seen them.  I think these were first offered only recently.

Brian Leppert

Bill Keene

Thank you all for your suggestions. I must confess that I am the world’s second worst online researcher. Just can not accept that i might be the worst. 🥴

The Moloco truck (TR 6088) looks good. Their web site shows these as being sold out. Also the same for the TR 6110.

Will keep looking as suggested.

Thanks & Cheers,
— Bill

On Dec 12, 2020, at 12:52 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:

See if the 70-ton Barber S-2A truck offered by Moloco matches. I can't find Hendrickson's book right now to see for myself.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

The 70t Barber Stabilized S-2-A truck has been done by Moloco recently and previously by Red Caboose for their SP F-70-7 flatcar.

They are both very similar with each having pluses and minuses. The RC truck is a 3 piece truck and takes some modifications to be
properly functional. I have shared a way to do this plus add in line brake shoes with some on this list. The Moloco is 1 piece with in line
shoes. In my view, side frame detail is slightly better on the RC trucks but Moloco's are easier to use because of their 1 piece construction.

The RC trucks have been offered separately so it may be possible to find someone that will part with a pair. Nick says he will be running
more of his trucks so those may be available again soon hopefully. I have both versions under various cars and each work well.

Other 70t Barber Stabilized trucks have been produced.

S-2-B- is done by Kadee in their HGC compound.

S-2-C- is also done by Moloco, currently out of stock.

Dan Smith

Tim O'Connor

I have at least one pair of each of the MOLOCO trucks and they are really nice trucks! His wheelsets
are better looking than most too, thanks to milling the backside of the wheels instead of leaving them blank.
And his trucks and wheelsets are among the least expensive high quality stuff out there.

Yes I am a Moloco fan! Too bad you're missing the new PC&F box cars (swoon!) built just after STMFC. :-D

He restocks his parts periodically, so check the web site every once in a while - or have a "shopping bot" do
it for you! For very popular consumer items, price gougers now have bots that sweep up the products which are
immediately resold at huge markups on Ebay and Amazon.

On 12/12/2020 4:07 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:
Aha!  I found the book and the Moloco truck is what you want.  TR-6110 has normal wheels and TR 6088 has semi scale wheelsets.  Both are sold out at Moloco.  I've never seen them.  I think these were first offered only recently.

Brian Leppert

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Moloco has a mailing list for announcements. When they get parts & trucks in stock it is usually announced.
The trucks were promoted last month and I guess have all sold out already. A recent TANGENT release actually
sold out in less than 24 hours - and many of the models sold out even before they had been officially announced
in emails thanks to a tip someone posted to Facebook! :-D

On 12/13/2020 2:46 AM, Dan Smith wrote:
[...]

Ted Culotta