Topics

REA questions

Donald B. Valentine

   Thanks to all who replied to my question about the square REA herald standinng on one corner.
I have both the RPC's cited and Vic Roseman's bookut unfortunately we stilldon't seemto know when
the herald with its initial internal lettering was first used on REA rolling stock. My cut-off date is 31
December 1948 so I guess I'll use my one reefer with the original style of the herald until someone can
prove me worng after which I may continue to use it under "modeler's license'.

Cordially, Don Valentine

George Hollwedel

I have Vic Roseman's "Railway Express" An Overview, open to page 105. Diagram III - 1953 show Hunter Green and 60" tall red/white herald. Gold lettering.It also says Black, Green, gray or Silver roofs and ends.

Prototype N Scale Models (TM)
by George Hollwedel
2108 Buffalo Tundra Dr
Austin, TX 78754-5960
512-796-6883
proto.nscale@...
http://www.atlasrr.com/special.htm
http://intermountain-railway.com/n/sr/nsr.htm
http://www.bluford-shops.com/bluford_93_014.htm

On Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:03:38 PM CST, Jack Mullen <jack.f.mullen@...> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 02:42 AM, Donald B. Valentine wrote:
Did the REA  NOT use the square herald standing on a corner prior to 1950?
Well of course the red diamond was used a lot prior to the '50s, on buildings, vehicles, labels, billboards...
But I assume your question is in the rail car context.
There's a lot of uncertainty about "exact" dates for Railway Express p&l changes. My understanding is that most corporate records disappeared with the company's demise, so much depends on photo evidence.
"About 1953" is commonly cited for introduction of the 60" red diamond on express reefers.
RPC 7 has extensive coverage of express reefers, with an addendum in RPC 9.
Jack Mullen

Jack Mullen

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 02:42 AM, Donald B. Valentine wrote:
Did the REA  NOT use the square herald standing on a corner prior to 1950?
Well of course the red diamond was used a lot prior to the '50s, on buildings, vehicles, labels, billboards...
But I assume your question is in the rail car context.
There's a lot of uncertainty about "exact" dates for Railway Express p&l changes. My understanding is that most corporate records disappeared with the company's demise, so much depends on photo evidence.
"About 1953" is commonly cited for introduction of the 60" red diamond on express reefers.
RPC 7 has extensive coverage of express reefers, with an addendum in RPC 9.
Jack Mullen

Jake Schaible

REA was of course founded in March of 1929 as a merger of several competing regional agencies, and while I can not confirm the uses of a diamond logo by REA right from the start, I do have seen early 30's images with such.  Many of the predecessor lines also used a diamond shaped logos (including both American Railroad Express and Wells Fargo & Co).

Donald B. Valentine

   Did the REA  NOT use the square herald standing on a corner prior to 1950?
Have never been certain of its date. Thanks for anything definitive.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Tim O'Connor

Don

The gold lettered scheme was introduced in 1953.

The white lettered scheme began in 1960.

Then from 1961 the lettering style changed to sans serif and the
new REA herald was introduced. At first the cars were Hunter Green
and then later Chromate Green.

Tim O'

On 2/11/2020 10:06 PM, Don DeLay via Groups.Io wrote:
I have a few questions if anyone knows the answers. What years are these cars good for and when did the paint change from dark to light green? Thanks in advance

Don DeLay

Attachments:

_

Sterling, Massachusetts

steve_wintner

Based on Sunshine's instructions for their 6100 series, I believe both schemes are 1952+. REX 6275 looks like it may be in the scheme introduced in 1952.

Don DeLay