Topics

GRAB IRONS

WILLIAM PARDIE

The initial .008 grabs from BLMA were stainless steel.  Later I believe they used phosper bronze..The ones that I just received from Atlas seem to be brass.  I have not tested them.

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2/16/20 3:30 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] GRAB IRONS

I believe Bill was asking specifically for scale (0.008") grabs, for which BLMA/Atlas and Tangent fill the bill.  Tichy does not.

I have bent some SS grabs out of guitar strings, but I don't think there have been any commercial offerings, at least recently.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Dave Parker

I believe Bill was asking specifically for scale (0.008") grabs, for which BLMA/Atlas and Tangent fill the bill.  Tichy does not.

I have bent some SS grabs out of guitar strings, but I don't think there have been any commercial offerings, at least recently.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Allen Cain

FYI Atlas still has wire grab irons listed on their website:

Scroll down and you will see them.

Allen Cain 

Allen Cain

Tichy also offers grab irons and are very affordable.  Both Tangent and Tichy use Phosphor Bronze wire.  Does anyone use a material that is stronger such as stainless steel?

Allen Cain

Todd Sullivan

Yes, it probably should have been a freight car, but that certainly is a fine looking locomotive.  I especially like the weathering.

Todd Sullivan

WILLIAM PARDIE

Oops! Sorry! That was supposed to be a freight car photo. Well, I guess that we need something to haul those cars around.

Bill Pardie