Topics

Virginia Chemical Tank Cars

Allen Cain

I am looking for information on Virginia Chemical Tank cars as offered by Broadway Limited (Item # 6125).  These cars have built dates of 1941 and 1946 but do not appear in my 1953, 1954 or 1955 ORER.  However they have "Test" dates in 1958 thru 1960.

This leads me to assume that they were originally lettered for another road and later re-lettered for Virginia Chemical.

If you have an ORER for 1956 to 1959 I would appreciate it if you could see if these cars are listed and if so can you tell me their classification type code?

VCSX 116
VCSX 119
VCSX 120
VCSX 121

And if anyone has background information on Virginia Chemical it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen Cain

Dave Parker

A little later than you requested, but there they are:

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Schleigh Mike

VCSX and Virginia Chemical, Inc are  not listed in either the Oct 1958 or Oct 1959 issues of the ORER.

Mike Schleigh in Grove City, Penna.

On Monday, February 17, 2020, 03:25:48 PM EST, Allen Cain <allencaintn@...> wrote:

I am looking for information on Virginia Chemical Tank cars as offered by Broadway Limited (Item # 6125).  These cars have built dates of 1941 and 1946 but do not appear in my 1953, 1954 or 1955 ORER.  However they have "Test" dates in 1958 thru 1960.

This leads me to assume that they were originally lettered for another road and later re-lettered for Virginia Chemical.

If you have an ORER for 1956 to 1959 I would appreciate it if you could see if these cars are listed and if so can you tell me their classification type code?

VCSX 116
VCSX 119
VCSX 120
VCSX 121

And if anyone has background information on Virginia Chemical it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen Cain

spsalso

Edited

Virginia Smelting Company is listed on page 687of the July 1945 ORER.

The reporting marks are V.S.X.

The car list is similar to that posted by Dave--some cars added, some cars removed--a total of 33 cars.  There IS 116 and 119, there is NOT 120 and 121.

April 1961 still shows VSX.  The reporting marks for the company (and the name, sort of) were changed between that date and July 1965 to VCSX.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Dave Parker

As always, Ian Cranstone's tabulation of reporting marks is a very good place to start (I should of looked there first):

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Allan Smith

Attached are copies of the 1938, 1944, 1952, 1958 ORERS for Virginia Smelting Co.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Monday, February 17, 2020, 01:40:14 PM PST, Dave Parker via Groups.Io <spottab@...> wrote:

As always, Ian Cranstone's tabulation of reporting marks is a very good place to start (I should of looked there first):

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Doug Pillow

Virginia Chemical was/is located in West Norfolk,apart of Portsmouth Va. It was serviced by the Atlantic & Danville, later the Norfolk, Franklin and Danville, NS, and now I believe by a short line sucessor to NF&D

Doug Pillow

Allen Cain

Thanks to all who helped. Great info!

I also want to give a shout out to Broadway Limited. The sent a copy of the artwork drawing and ORER for the closest year they had with the company listed.

Allen Cain

Allen Cain

Thanks everyone for the EXCELLENT help.

It would appear that the transition from VSX to VCSX occurred late 1961 or early 1962.

Allen Cain

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Doug,

Virginia Chemical was indeed at the end of the NF&D West Norfolk branch, and was AFIK the only customer at that time I was stationed in nearby Portsmouth (1982-1983). While I took photos of the depot/yard office, I don't think I shot the plant. What I remember chiefly was that the plant had a prominent and ominous wind sock, just in case toxic gasses were released. I just looked at Google Satellite View of the West Norfolk, and it appears that most of the chemical plant is gone, leaving just foundations though the tracks are still there. There is at least one other chemical customer further down the track beyond the VC site.

When I lived in the area this was wide-open country. Now it is crowded with all sorts of development, including a major container terminal. Just for nostalgia, I was stationed at the 5th Coast Guard District Offices in downtown Portsmouth, but our darkroom was at Coast Guard Base Portsmouth, a mile or so north of the Virginia Chemical plant. I souped a lot of Tri-X in that darkroom.

I did shoot some interesting and very old freight cars in MW service on the branch (an A&D pulpwood rack and an NF&D boxcar, or vice-versa). My camera had a loose lens element and those photos are pretty fuzzy. I'm scanning and Photoshopping my way through my negatives, and when I come to those cars in a few months I will see if they are worth sharing here.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 10:39 AM Doug Pillow <jssp46@...> wrote:
Virginia Chemical was/is located in West Norfolk,apart of Portsmouth Va. It was serviced by the Atlantic & Danville, later the Norfolk, Franklin and Danville, NS, and now I believe by a short line sucessor to NF&D

Doug Pillow

Tim O'Connor

I think the "106A500" tank cars are cannister tank cars like this drawing.

On 2/17/2020 3:34 PM, Dave Parker via Groups.Io wrote:
A little later than you requested, but there they are:

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Attachments:

_

Sterling, Massachusetts

gary laakso

As I recall a brass importer brought in cannister cars with the cannisters made out of solid aluminum, making the car much heavier than most brass heavyweight passenger cars.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

I think the "106A500" tank cars are cannister tank cars like this drawing.

On 2/17/2020 3:34 PM, Dave Parker via Groups.Io wrote:

A little later than you requested, but there they are:

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Attachments:

_

Sterling, Massachusetts

James E Kubanick

Those brass models were imported by MTS way back when. I made new tanks out of aluminum tubing, making the car lighter but still on the heavy side.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 7:06:18 PM EST, gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

As I recall a brass importer brought in cannister cars with the cannisters made out of solid aluminum, making the car much heavier than most brass heavyweight passenger cars.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

I think the "106A500" tank cars are cannister tank cars like this drawing.

On 2/17/2020 3:34 PM, Dave Parker via Groups.Io wrote:

A little later than you requested, but there they are:

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Attachments:

_

Sterling, Massachusetts

mopacfirst

I have one of those.  (It's not here right now.)  I don't recall the 'cannisters' being that heavy, but I generally ran the car empty because it looked better that way.  I think they were just called 'one-ton containers'.  Googling that produces an article in the AWWA Journal from 1927, so the containers go back at least that far.  They were definitely still in use past the end of this list.

The aluminum model ones were a little too roundy at the ends for my taste, but the bulge in the heads is pretty accurate.

Ron Merrick

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

I have a builders image of VSX 20, it is a canister car, ACF lot 188. It rides on archbar trucks. No date on the image.

I also have a builders image of VSX 103, it is more conventional tank car, ACF lot 9471 dated 30 Apr 1923. The car is on archbar trucks.

Finally, I also have a builders image of VSX 106, a conventional tank car, ACF lot 20 dated 17 Aug 1925. The car is also on archbar trucks.

Claus Schlund

I think the "106A500" tank cars are cannister tank cars like this drawing.

On 2/17/2020 3:34 PM, Dave Parker via Groups.Io wrote:

A little later than you requested, but there they are:

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Attachments:

_

Sterling, Massachusetts

Schleigh Mike

One of these canister cars was the basis of a scratchbuilding article in Model Railroader way back in the early 1950s.  The article was republished in a 'reprint' collection called "Build Your Own Model Cars and Locos."  I still have my tattered copy from some some 60 years back.  Neat stuff even now!  The model was largely brass, called a "chlorine car," carried 14 canisters, and was lettered for Penna. Salt Mfg. (PSMX 1011).  This car is listed in my copy of the January 1946 ORER.

Bob's Photo has sold a couple different images of this type of car.

Regards from Grove City, Penna. where winter is creeping back----Mike Schleigh

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 07:23:11 PM EST, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

I have one of those.  (It's not here right now.)  I don't recall the 'cannisters' being that heavy, but I generally ran the car empty because it looked better that way.  I think they were just called 'one-ton containers'.  Googling that produces an article in the AWWA Journal from 1927, so the containers go back at least that far.  They were definitely still in use past the end of this list.

The aluminum model ones were a little too roundy at the ends for my taste, but the bulge in the heads is pretty accurate.

Ron Merrick

James E Kubanick

When I lived out East during the 1980's there was a small water treatment plant in Lansdale PA that still received these cars. I believe that the cars were returned with empty canisters aboard. I never saw a car without them, but practices may vary - especially during our timeframe.

Jim Kubanick

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 8:24:24 PM EST, Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io <mike_schleigh@...> wrote:

[...]

Here are some pictures of the Chlorine cars with the canisters including one of the MTS model.

Allen Cain

Andy Laurent

It appears that in later years the canister retainer clips were augmented with 2 straps over the top of the canisters.

Andy L
Wisconsin