Topics

Piedmont & Northern 1101 ready for Priming

Bill Welch

One last look at my Styrene and Resin Piedmont & Northern 40-foot boxcar with Vertical Murphy ends (thanks to Dr. Dave Campbell at Yuma Car & Foundry) and Hutchins roof before it is primed. Other highlights include shortened Tichy “Superior” doors, square brake shaft, and scratch built doorstops, placard boards, draft gear buffers and ladders. The Hutchins roof was harvested from an Accurail 8-panel single sheathed boxcar and copied in resin. It was also widened slightly by cutting it down the middle and adding styrene shim.

To make the “L” section batten strip I cut .005 sheet styrene into narrow strips and then glued the base to the car side with sparing amounts of Testor’s so as to not to distort it and then gave the cement 24-hours to cure. Next I added the second strip on edge and again allowed that to cure for a day. Again I was sparing with the Testors

There are 330 rivets harvested from Athearn “blue box” freight cars—the larger ones visible on the Gusset Plates are from their gondola while the smaller ones (and the majority) are from their steel boxcar. There are sixty such harvested rivets attached to the batten strip, twelve for each ladder, nine for door door jam, and so on. The larger rivets or bolt heads seen on the edges and sides of the ends are Tichy .020 rivets.

To me it is kind of magical when the primer or paint goes onto a model. Even though it obscures the details that get added in making a model like this, it immediately transforms it too.

Bill Welch

vapeurchapelon

Hello Bill,

this is just great looking! Strange ends, retainer on the "wrong" side - a real stand-out car.

Greetings

Johannes
modeling the early poat-war years up to about 1953

Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. Februar 2020 um 15:43 Uhr
Von: "Bill Welch" <fgexbill@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] Piedmont & Northern 1101 ready for Priming

[...]

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Bill,

This is indeed a work of art!

Claus Schlund

[...]

Douglas Harding

Bill as always, outstanding work. I do have what may be a technical question: Looking at the close up of the door area details, I noticed the door seems to be sitting lower than the angle iron side sheeting support just to the right of the door. My question how does the door slide past that angle iron? In the prototype photo it appears the angle iron is either below the door bottom, ie behind the door track, or it is cut short on that side. I can’t tell.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

You caught me Doug. I call it "Modeler's Compromise"—what I do when trying to get all the details on yet accepting not everything lines up as expected. I do it instead of throwing it on the floor and stomping on it.

Bill Welch

mopacfirst

That's the best answer I've heard all day.

Ron Merrick

Douglas Harding

Bill all is forgiven. I was trying to think of an appropriate penance, but anyone who harvests 330 rivets from Athearn bluebox bodies for one model has done penance and then some. The boys in the Clearwater Car Shops have done good.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org