Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. Februar 2020 um 16:57 Uhr
Von: "Paul Doggett via Groups.Io" <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io>
An: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] What is the major difference between these cars ???

Hi what are the ends on the C&EI car and are the any other major differences between them.

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

vapeurchapelon

And the Wabash car has grab irons instead of side ladders.

Johannes

Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. Februar 2020 um 16:57 Uhr
Von: "Paul Doggett via Groups.Io" <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io>
An: RealSTMFC@groups.io

Hi what are the ends on the C&EI car and are the any other major differences between them.

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Paul Doggett

Johannes

Thank you

Paul Doggett

On 18 Feb 2020, at 16:01, vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...> wrote:

Hello Paul,

the floor of the Wabash car is a fishbelly type, whereas the C&EI is "flat".

Greetings

Johannes
modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953

Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. Februar 2020 um 16:57 Uhr
Von: "Paul Doggett via Groups.Io" <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io>
An: RealSTMFC@groups.io

Hi what are the ends on the C&EI car and are the any other major differences between them.

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Allen Cain

In addition to the floor previously noted there are several detail differences:

Roof Corners notched on C&EI
Tack Board Locations one high, one middle
Bottom Rib on Doors on C&EI is shorter
Side corner brace angles appear to be different
Horizontal "reinforcement" on lower part of side channel on WAB not on C&EI
Ladder on C&EI while drop grab irons on WAB
Door low handles on C&EI with mid door grabs on WAB and different styles

Cannot see the roof and ends on the C&EI but MIGHT be another difference.

Will leave it to others to count the rivets!

Allen Cain

Paul Doggett

Cheers Allen,  most are correctable but the ends are the major item I need to find out about.

Thanks Paul Doggett

On 18 Feb 2020, at 18:09, Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:

In addition to the floor previously noted there are several detail differences:

Roof Corners notched on C&EI
Tack Board Locations one high, one middle
Bottom Rib on Doors on C&EI is shorter
Side corner brace angles appear to be different
Horizontal "reinforcement" on lower part of side channel on WAB not on C&EI
Ladder on C&EI while drop grab irons on WAB
Door low handles on C&EI with mid door grabs on WAB and different styles

Cannot see the roof and ends on the C&EI but MIGHT be another difference.

Will leave it to others to count the rivets!

Allen Cain

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Paul,

Just checked my 1958 ORER. The CE&I car is an XM car, and does not list any end doors. There is no mention of end doors on the Wabash car, but they may be there welded shut (some similar Wabash cars had them). It is an XAR car and was still equipped with auto racks, which would imply chain tubes below the floor. Some Wabash cars also had a lever brake instead of a wheel. The Wabash car also has a radial roof. If you are doing a conversion and the CE&I car has a peaked roof, you will have a very useful radial roof casting for your parts supply. Note that the CE&I car has a short rib in the lower door panel, and there are six ribs on that panel versus five of matching length on the Wabash; both door openings are 12' wide. Lastly, the Wabash car appears to be about 3" taller, and 3" longer overall, but this is negligible for a kitbash.

You need more photos of the C&EI car, especially showing the ends.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 10:57 AM Paul Doggett via Groups.Io <paul.doggett2472=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi what are the ends on the C&EI car and are the any other major differences between them.

Paul Doggett     England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Paul Doggett

Garth

Thank you I thought the C&EI car had a radial roof looking at the photo.
I have two Wabash F&C kits which I thought would be a reasonable starting point 1 Wabash and 1 C&EI

Thank you Paul Doggett

On 18 Feb 2020, at 19:38, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

[...]

Rich Yoder

Hi Paul,
There are several differences. Door hardware, Door track both top and bottom. Ladder rungs on WAB - C&IE has a ladder. It appears that the WAB has a fish belly center sill. I doubt they were built by the same company.
Rich Yoder

Hi what are the ends on the C&EI car and are the any other major differences between them.

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Paul Doggett

Rich

Thank you I think I will be building two Wabash cars as I have so much to do.

Many thanks
Paul