Topics

Shrink wrap

Richard Townsend

I have a more or less cylindrical styrene item, but with compound curves, that I want to wrap snugly (not like a draped tarp) for use as a flatcar load. I've thought about shrink wrap, but I am concerned about the heat melting the item. Does anyone have any experience with using shrink wrap over a styrene item? Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Jeff

This might be essentially the same problem, but heat shrink tubing comes in pretty big sizes - and colors.

--
Jeff Shultz
http://www.shultzinfosystems.com

Allen Cain

Would stretch wrap give the effect you are seeking?

The stuff that movers use is very thin and stretches a lot. Available at Home Depot and most self storage placed.

Allen Cain

Robert kirkham

Is it meant to be transparent?  If not, is it meant to be textured in a specific way?

I’m trying to figure out why spray painting it the colour of the wrap is insufficient?

Rob

I have a more or less cylindrical styrene item, but with compound curves, that I want to wrap snugly (not like a draped tarp) for use as a flatcar load. I've thought about shrink wrap, but I am concerned about the heat melting the item. Does anyone have any experience with using shrink wrap over a styrene item? Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Michael Watnoski

Try wet tissue paper.

On 3/9/2020 5:12 PM, Richard Townsend via Groups.Io wrote:
Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Tim O'Connor

Traditional is tissue paper (gift wrap) with a light coat of model airplane dope. Or aluminum foil that is painted tarp color

Is it meant to be transparent?  If not, is it meant to be textured in a specific way?

I’m trying to figure out why spray painting it the colour of the wrap is insufficient?

Rob

I have a more or less cylindrical styrene item, but with compound curves, that I want to wrap snugly (not like a draped tarp) for use as a flatcar load. I've thought about shrink wrap, but I am concerned about the heat melting the item. Does anyone have any experience with using shrink wrap over a styrene item? Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

Sterling, Massachusetts

Nolan Hinshaw

On Mar 9, 2020, at 14:56, Michael Watnoski <freestatesystems1@comcast.net> wrote:

Try wet tissue paper.
Did you perhaps mispronounce "silkspan"? The tissue used for covering balsa model aircraft came to mind when I first saw this thread, and so did that other water-shrunk covering material. My only concern would be with the adhesive, which should dry quickly and be resistant to water while the shrinking is in process.

"Don't worry, boys, it's just a furry with a syringe on top."
F. Feghoot

Mont Switzer

I like to use tissue paper like what comes with a new shirt.  I cut it to the dimensions of a tarp, typically 12 x 12.  Lay it or them over the object and tack it in place with Elmer's.  This will not look like shrink wrap nor should it.  When satisfied with the coverage paint it dark gray or grimy black.

Remember, tarps were pretty stiff (heavy) and did not always conform to the shape of the object being covered.

Tarps were tied down with ropes, wire or even nailed to the car floor.

Mont Switzer

Would stretch wrap give the effect you are seeking?

The stuff that movers use is very thin and stretches a lot. Available at Home Depot and most self storage placed.

Allen Cain

Eric Hansmann

I used a similar technique for tarp covered loads. Attached are a couple images. I start with a pad of chipboard from a cereal box and glue Styrofoam shapes onto it. Then I covered the shapes with wrapping tissue paper, the kind Mont recommends. I sprayed the final form with an almond color from a rattle can then lightly dusted with a sooty color. Sorry for the blurry second image but it’s the only one I could find quickly to share.

I can’t believe the photo files are dated May 2011. Was it really that long ago?

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN