From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...>
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2020 5:32 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Alcohol

I am out of 90% isopropyl alcohol.  Local stores have none, not even 70%.
What are you guys using as a substitute?
Chuck Peck

Charles Peck

Stripping paint is my usual use, sometimes just lifting lettering.
As for local stores, Publix supermarket, Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS.
I also priced Everclear ethyl alcohol but for only 75%, it was way too
costly.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 6:42 PM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
Chuck,

1) Um, it might help if you told us what you are doing with it so we know where this is going... 😉

2) I would assume that when you say "Local stores" you have checked your local big box drug store?

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

I am out of 90% isopropyl alcohol.  Local stores have none, not even 70%.
What are you guys using as a substitute?
Chuck Peck

Nelson Moyer

Walmart, Walgreen, CVS, etc. all sell 70% and 91% isopropanol for under $2 quart.

Nelson Moyer

On Mar 9, 2020, at 3:32 PM, Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...> wrote:

I am out of 90% isopropyl alcohol.  Local stores have none, not even 70%.
What are you guys using as a substitute?
Chuck Peck

Roger Huber <trainpainter@...>

I was told yesterday by a person at Walgreens that all alcohol is selling fast because of the corona virus scare.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Monday, March 9, 2020, 05:56:25 PM CDT, Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...> wrote:

Stripping paint is my usual use, sometimes just lifting lettering.
As for local stores, Publix supermarket, Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS.
I also priced Everclear ethyl alcohol but for only 75%, it was way too
costly.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 6:42 PM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
Chuck,

1) Um, it might help if you told us what you are doing with it so we know where this is going... 😉

2) I would assume that when you say "Local stores" you have checked your local big box drug store?

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

I am out of 90% isopropyl alcohol.  Local stores have none, not even 70%.
What are you guys using as a substitute?
Chuck Peck

Jack Mullen

Try the paint department at a hardware or home improvement store for isopropol.  Demand there doesn't seem to be impacted by the Corona crisis.

Jack Mullen

Charles Peck

Yes, I have in the past bought alcohol at such places.  Can't buy from an empty shelf.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 7:00 PM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:
Walmart, Walgreen, CVS, etc. all sell 70% and 91% isopropanol for under $2 quart.

Nelson Moyer

On Mar 9, 2020, at 3:32 PM, Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...> wrote:

I am out of 90% isopropyl alcohol.  Local stores have none, not even 70%.
What are you guys using as a substitute?
Chuck Peck

Nolan Hinshaw

On Mar 9, 2020, at 16:13, Jack Mullen <jack.f.mullen@...> wrote:

Try the paint department at a hardware or home improvement store for isopropol. Demand there doesn't seem to be impacted by the Corona crisis.
Add paint stores and chandleries; it's a fine cleaning sovent. If you think of using it for hand sanitizers, though, it probably doensn't meet US Pharmacopeia standards

"Don't worry, boys, it's just a furry with a syringe on top."
F. Feghoot

Tony Thompson

Charles Peck wrote:

Stripping paint is my usual use, sometimes just lifting lettering.
As for local stores, Publix supermarket, Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS.
I also priced Everclear ethyl alcohol but for only 75%, it was way too
costly.

Yeah, but you can make cocktails with Everclear. Multiple use!

Tony Thompson

Charles Peck

Tony, some railroads observe Rule G.  And some observe the exceptions
to the rule.
C. Peck

I also priced Everclear ethyl alcohol but for only 75%, it was way too
costly.

Yeah, but you can make cocktails with Everclear. Multiple use!

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Tony, some railroads observe Rule G.  And some observe the exceptions
to the rule.

 Um, I didn't mean making cocktails during op sessions -- or at the workbench. Just after completing a project! Of course those not consuming alcohol at all will miss the multiple-use feature.

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro

I've purchased 99% (right, 99%) from an area electronics store.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Bob,

What kind of alcohol?

I presume the electrics folks use whichever it is for cleaning contact, etc., correct?

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532