Topics

Scratch building FGEX car sides.

Scott

Some time ago Ted did a kitbash clinic and one of the cars was an FGEX reefer with unique steel sides and fishbelly floor.  I was going to take a swing at it as I am a reefer-aholic.  What is the common thickness styrene to use for the sides?  Unfortunately, my local Hobbytown closed so I either have to ebay it or do a pretty good drive to get some.  I would like to make one as a pattern then resin cast the two sides from there.  I have the Tichy ends, Intermountain car to harvest a roof and will order the Accurail 40ft fishbelly floor.  I got some FGEX decals from Ted at Chicago or Collinsville I am not sure which.  I did manage to get the last gallon container of real MEK my Lowes had.  I got some scribers from tamiya and UMM-USA and archer rivets since there are so many.  Should be pretty fun project.  I only have the two photos that are in Ted's presentation but the are nice side shots.

Thanks,
Scott McDonakd

Jack Burgess

I have always used .040” styrene for scratchbuilding freight cars. You can get Evergreen directly from their website:

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/

Jack Burgess

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2020 3:02 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Scratch building FGEX car sides.

Some time ago Ted did a kitbash clinic and one of the cars was an FGEX reefer with unique steel sides and fishbelly floor.  I was going to take a swing at it as I am a reefer-aholic.  What is the common thickness styrene to use for the sides?  Unfortunately, my local Hobbytown closed so I either have to ebay it or do a pretty good drive to get some.  I would like to make one as a pattern then resin cast the two sides from there.  I have the Tichy ends, Intermountain car to harvest a roof and will order the Accurail 40ft fishbelly floor.  I got some FGEX decals from Ted at Chicago or Collinsville I am not sure which.  I did manage to get the last gallon container of real MEK my Lowes had.  I got some scribers from tamiya and UMM-USA and archer rivets since there are so many.  Should be pretty fun project.  I only have the two photos that are in Ted's presentation but the are nice side shots.

Thanks,
Scott McDonakd

Jim Hayes

Scott, sounds interesting. Can you share a copy of the handout or point me to where it can be found?

JimH

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 3:28 PM Jack Burgess <jack@...> wrote:

I have always used .040” styrene for scratchbuilding freight cars. You can get Evergreen directly from their website:

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/

Jack Burgess

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2020 3:02 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Scratch building FGEX car sides.

Thanks,
Scott McDonakd

Scott

The presentation PDF is on Ted blog.

Link to Kitbash PDF

It is about halfway down with photos of cars 10925 and 10857.

Scott McDonald