Topics

Soo Line boxcar

Richard Remiarz

Greetings,

I completed Soo Line 133542 last night, just in time for this weekend's Twin Cities Railroad Modeler's Retreat.  It is a Speedwitch K108 Soo Line Sawtooth Single Sheathed Box Car kit, painted with Tru-Color TCP-200 SOO Freight Car Red and weathered with Pan Pastels.  I hope to have one more car completed tomorrow morning.

Sincerely,
Rich Remiarz
Vadnais Heights, MN

gary laakso

A very distinctive boxcar and a very finer build, paint and weathering job.  The joys of working under a deadline!

Gary Laakso

On Mar 12, 2020, at 6:32 PM, Richard Remiarz <rremiarz@...> wrote:

Greetings,

I completed Soo Line 133542 last night, just in time for this weekend's Twin Cities Railroad Modeler's Retreat.  It is a Speedwitch K108 Soo Line Sawtooth Single Sheathed Box Car kit, painted with Tru-Color TCP-200 SOO Freight Car Red and weathered with Pan Pastels.  I hope to have one more car completed tomorrow morning.

Sincerely,
Rich Remiarz
Vadnais Heights, MN
<Soo Line 133542-1.jpg>
<Soo Line 13542-2.jpg>

gtws00

Nicely done Rich.
Thanks for sharing
George Toman

Paul Doggett

Rich

A fine looking build and paint job . I built one of Dennis Storzeks kits.

paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 13 Mar 2020, at 11:15, gtws00 via Groups.Io <gtws00@...> wrote:

Nicely done Rich.
Thanks for sharing
George Toman

Lester Breuer

Fine build.  Look forward to seeing it tonight in the display room at the Modelers Retreat.
Lester Breuer

Dennis Storzek

I, of course, have a soft spot in my heart for models of these cars, and this is a very nice build, and an extremely nice paint and weathering job.

Dennis Storzek

Dave Lawler

I really like those cars. They have lots of “personality”.

Great looking model.

Dave Lawler

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Elliot Courtney

Great model! What size chain and brass strip do you need for the brake cylinder pulley assembly? My sunshine kit of the soo sawtooth did not include either.

Thanks,
Elliot

O Fenton Wells

Nice looking build Rich, like the finished product.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Richard Remiarz

Elliot,

I used Campbell Scale Models chain, which is 42 links per inch.  I used 1x6 styrene for the brake levers, and 0.012 wire with clevises made from Grandt Line turnbuckles for the brake rods.

Rich Remiarz
Vadnais Heights, MN

On Mar 13, 2020, at 11:40 AM, Elliot Courtney via Groups.Io <ecourtne@...> wrote:

Great model! What size chain and brass strip do you need for the brake cylinder pulley assembly? My sunshine kit of the soo sawtooth did not include either.

Thanks,
Elliot

Elliot Courtney

Rich,
Thank you for the great info! What did you use for the rod that the brake chain “slider” rides on while connected to the chain?  Brass strip? Size? It connects the brake cylinder to the rigging via the chain.

I hope I am explaining it well, the sunshine instructions had a picture of this assembly, supposedly unique to the sawtooth cars.
Elliot

WILLIAM PARDIE

Elliot:

I make up schackels from .010 brass wire for this.
Sounds complicated but is really easy and quick.  Also looks great.

Bill Pardie

Thank you for the great info! What did you use for the rod that the brake chain “slider” rides on while connected to the chain?  Brass strip? Size? It connects the brake cylinder to the rigging via the chain.

I hope I am explaining it well, the sunshine instructions had a picture of this assembly, supposedly unique to the sawtooth cars.
Elliot

Richard Remiarz

Elliot,

I just found the instructions for the Sunshine kit, and now understand what you are referring to.  Neither the instructions for the Speedwitch kit or Ted Culotta’s article on the cars showed this part, so I didn’t include it on the model.  I don’t know if this part was unique to the later cars that were modeled by the Sunshine kit, or if it was used on all series of Soo sawtooth boxcars.  I also looked at a number of photos of Soo sawtooth boxcars.  The few that showed the brake cylinder did not seem to contain the mechanism shown on the Sunshine instructions.  Hopefully one of our Soo Line experts can shed more light on this subject.

Sincerely,
Rich Remiarz

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 08:47 PM, Richard Remiarz wrote:
I don’t know if this part was unique to the later cars that were modeled by the Sunshine kit, or if it was used on all series of Soo sawtooth boxcars.
You mean this: https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/album?id=43499

I've never seen one on any Soo car with a fishbelly UF, nor is it shown on the Haskell & Barker drawings of the early twenties cars (the prototype for that kit) so surmise they were only on the later cars. The only one of the 1926, 28, 29, and 30 built cars I've been able to inspect is the 1929 car at the Illinois Railway Museum, where those pix were taken.

Dennis Storzek

Elliot Courtney

Thank you all for the great info and pictures, this helps me immensely with my build!

Steve and Barb Hile

This item is, apparently, one version of a Universal Brake Booster that also appears on a group of Swift reefers of approximately the same vintage.  See Gene Deimling's blog at

https://myp48.wordpress.com/2017/07/16/prototype-swift-wood-reefers/

You can see an example of this under SRLX 2768 on Protocraft's (O scale) decal web page at

https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=892&Categoryid=21.

Rapido did a similar car in an earlier paint scheme, but needs this part and some other upgrades to fully match the prototype.

Steve Hile

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 08:47 PM, Richard Remiarz wrote:
I don’t know if this part was unique to the later cars that were modeled by the Sunshine kit, or if it was used on all series of Soo sawtooth boxcars.
You mean this: https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/album?id=43499

I've never seen one on any Soo car with a fishbelly UF, nor is it shown on the Haskell & Barker drawings of the early twenties cars (the prototype for that kit) so surmise they were only on the later cars. The only one of the 1926, 28, 29, and 30 built cars I've been able to inspect is the 1929 car at the Illinois Railway Museum, where those pix were taken.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

Cool pix.

That strikes me as some kind of slack adjuster. Is that what it is?

Tim O'Connor

On 3/14/2020 2:16 AM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 08:47 PM, Richard Remiarz wrote:
I don’t know if this part was unique to the later cars that were modeled by the Sunshine kit, or if it was used on all series of Soo sawtooth boxcars.
You mean this: https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/album?id=43499

I've never seen one on any Soo car with a fishbelly UF, nor is it shown on the Haskell & Barker drawings of the early twenties cars (the prototype for that kit) so surmise they were only on the later cars. The only one of the 1926, 28, 29, and 30 built cars I've been able to inspect is the 1929 car at the Illinois Railway Museum, where those pix were taken.

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 01:19 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
That strikes me as some kind of slack adjuster. Is that what it is?
Do you mean this? Brake Booster

Near as can tell its main function is to double the power available from a vertical staff hand brake by making the hand brake chain into a two part line; note that after the chain winds through the mechanism it attaches to a bracket on the centersill. How it's any better than the simple pulley often used for this is anyone's guess, although I've always thought the slope of the bar it rides on would ensure that it rattled itself into release position after the brake pawl was released, not that I think that was ever a problem with the pulley system. Actually, I've always felt it was a solution in search of a problem, and I think the railroad industry quickly came to the same conclusion, because they were not common. Maybe someday I'll get someone out at IRM to wind down the handbrake on that car and watch what it actually does.

Dennis Storzek