Hutchins Dry Lading Roof?

Bob Chaparro

Hutchins Dry Lading Roof?

A photo taken in 1916:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ssave/39075615572/in/album-72157689846832316/

Is this an example of a Hutchins Dry Lading roof?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

mel perry

the radial version
mel perry

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020, 10:00 AM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Hutchins Dry Lading Roof?

A photo taken in 1916:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ssave/39075615572/in/album-72157689846832316/

Is this an example of a Hutchins Dry Lading roof?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dave Parker

I agree that it's a radial roof, but it doesn't seem to match the images of the Hutchins "camber" roof in the 1916 CBC.  I don't know who made that roof.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

mel perry

you are correct, it is a chicago-clevrland,
if memory serves me right?, bob hundman in MM did an article on how
to build one of these radial roofs
from scratch, and one of the prototype
illustrations featured this roof with
the bolt head (?) attachments on the
rib supports, believe the issue was 8/99
;-)
mel perry

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020, 10:34 AM Dave Parker via Groups.Io <spottab=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I agree that it's a radial roof, but it doesn't seem to match the images of the Hutchins "camber" roof in the 1916 CBC.  I don't know who made that roof.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Gene Deimling

It appears to be a Viking roof similar to those used on SP boxcars

Gene Deimling

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 12:23 PM, Gene Deimling wrote:
It appears to be a Viking roof similar to those used on SP boxcars
Yeah, it does, but I don't think the Viking name was in use in 1916, being a trade name Chicago-Cleveland transitioned to some time around WWII.

Dennis Storzek

David

I'm inclined to think this is someone's outside metal roof, and not any sort of all-steel roof.

David Thompson