Topics

Priming w/Yellow

Bill Welch

Just primed my M-K-T company built War Emergency boxcar w/Badger's Neutral Yellow primer.

Bill Welch

Todd Sullivan

Wow, Bill, that's a pretty smooth looking finish.  Nice model, too!  Where did you get the Badger primer?

Todd Sullivan

Bill Welch

Amazon is one source. . .

Bill Welch

Allen Cain

Do not know where Bill got his but here is a search link for Amazon. Lots of colors to chose from:

Allen Cain 

Jack Mullen

That covered well and looks really nice, Bill.  Sometimes it's difficult to get a sufficiently opaque finish with yellow paints. The yellow primer should really help with that problem. Looking forward to seeing the completed work.

Jack Mullen

Aley, Jeff A

Hi Bill,

How many coats of primer is on the model?

Thanks,

-Jeff

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Welch
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2020 3:54 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Priming w/Yellow

Just primed my M-K-T company built War Emergency boxcar w/Badger's Neutral Yellow primer.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 01:42 AM, Aley, Jeff A wrote:

Hi Bill, How many coats of primer is on the model?

Thanks,

-Jeff

Jeff: Several thin coats. I was also priming another roof and the Klasing Brake Wheel for the model during the same session. This is an Acrylic so it drys pretty quickly so with thin coats I could get coverage I wanted in one AB session.

I forgot to say that I sprayed with my Badger 155 Anthem AB w/.75mm needle/nozzle combo at 20 PSI. My modeling friend and list member George Toman put me onto the Neutral Yellow primer. he used it before painting with a Box Car Red and said he like the look of the BCR over the yellow. I plan to do this too on my WABASH war emergency build.

Bill Welch

Scott

Bill can you sand this primer or is it Vallejo that forms a tough film?

Scott McDonald 

Bill Welch

I have no idea Scott.

Bill Welch

gtws00

I was looking to paint a  Harvester/Combine model a bright shade of red that I custom mixed and a Cat D7 yellow as well. I could not get the red to look the way I wanted and tried an experiment using yellow, white and gray Badger Primer that I sprayed on a small styrene sheet. Attached are two photos showing the difference of covering the sheet with my red. I picked the neutral yellow for my base and have been now using it under my Boxcar Reds as well. I have been very pleased with the results so far. I have attached a photo of a brown I mixed and applied over the neutral yellow for my IC Mini-Kit as well.
Badger usually sells this primer at the Collinsville RPM a discounted price and comes in 12 colors.

George Toman
Willow Springs, IL

Mont Switzer

A few years ago I painted John Deere, Caterpillar and International Harvester HO scale models. Maybe the way I did it was cheating, but it worked. 

In all 3 cases I went to those respective equipment dealers and purchased aerosol cans of their touch up paint.  I then sprayed each one into a new paint bottle the size that fits my airbrush.  The paint was usually a little thick so I added lacquer thinner to get the right consistency to use in my air brush, a Pasche VL. 

Sometime in the early 1970’s CAT took the lead out of their paint resulting in a more golden hue.  No problem.  CAT had touchup paint for before and after.

Tractor guys are pretty resinous about their restorations.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of gtws00 via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Priming w/Yellow

I was looking to paint a  Harvester/Combine model a bright shade of red that I custom mixed and a Cat D7 yellow as well. I could not get the red to look the way I wanted and tried an experiment using yellow, white and gray Badger Primer that I sprayed on a small styrene sheet. Attached are two photos showing the difference of covering the sheet with my red. I picked the neutral yellow for my base and have been now using it under my Boxcar Reds as well. I have been very pleased with the results so far. I have attached a photo of a brown I mixed and applied over the neutral yellow for my IC Mini-Kit as well.
Badger usually sells this primer at the Collinsville RPM a discounted price and comes in 12 colors.

George Toman
Willow Springs, IL

Attachments:

Jim Betz

Has anyone tried using any of the craft acrylics in their air brush?  There
are many selections of color.  Be careful to not "go cheaper" - for most of
them there is a direct relationship between the amount of pigment in the
bottle and the cost and usually (especially for airbrushing?) more pigment
is better since you are thinning it out so much.
  I use craft acrylics for weathering washes all the time but haven't tried
shooting it.
  The bottle above looks exactly like the craft paints I buy at Michael''s or
other such places.  Suck it up - just because you are the only man in 
the store doesn't mean you have to wear time of the month protection 
to go in.
                                                                                 - Jim

Aley, Jeff A

Thanks Bill!  It looks great.  As a UP modeler, I’m sure I can think of uses for a yellow primer (e.g. UP stock cars).

Regards,

-Jeff

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Welch
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 3:53 AM

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 01:42 AM, Aley, Jeff A wrote:

Hi Bill, How many coats of primer is on the model?

Thanks,

-Jeff

Jeff: Several thin coats. I was also priming another roof and the Klasing Brake Wheel for the model during the same session. This is an Acrylic so it drys pretty quickly so with thin coats I could get coverage I wanted in one AB session.

I forgot to say that I sprayed with my Badger 155 Anthem AB w/.75mm needle/nozzle combo at 20 PSI. My modeling friend and list member George Toman put me onto the Neutral Yellow primer. he used it before painting with a Box Car Red and said he like the look of the BCR over the yellow. I plan to do this too on my WABASH war emergency build.

Bill Welch

Ken Adams

Edited

When I can get hold of some (on CV-19 lockdown at moment) I will try it out in my PreVal sprayer. 

Hmmm Tamiya has a Pink Surface Primer......I use the Red Oxide and Light grey regularly and have a can of white as well available
--
Ken Adams

Aley, Jeff A

Personally tried it?  No.  But there was an article in MR about it.  IIRC, the Liquitex airbrush thinner and Liquitex Flow-aid were the keys to making it work.  I can’t find an online index to MR (I tried…) or I would cite the exact issue.

Regards,

-Jeff

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Betz
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 8:36 AM

Has anyone tried using any of the craft acrylics in their air brush?  There
are many selections of color.  Be careful to not "go cheaper" - for most of
them there is a direct relationship between the amount of pigment in the
bottle and the cost and usually (especially for airbrushing?) more pigment
is better since you are thinning it out so much.
  I use craft acrylics for weathering washes all the time but haven't tried
shooting it.
  The bottle above looks exactly like the craft paints I buy at Michael''s or
other such places.  Suck it up - just because you are the only man in 
the store doesn't mean you have to wear time of the month protection 
to go in.
                                                                                 - Jim

Tim O'Connor

Thank you Bill!

On 3/17/2020 11:21 AM, Bill Welch wrote:
Badger’s Primers and Modelflex line of paints rarely if ever require reduction so “no" for that question.

I am spraying at 20 PSI w/Badger 155 siphon AB and .75mm needlle/nozzle combo. With Gravity feed suggest 15 PSI.

Bill Welch

On Mar 17, 2020, at 9:44 AM, TIMOTHY <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Nice.

Straight out of the bottle or diluted? What psi? (I rarely use acrylics)

Tim

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 2020-03-16 6:53:57 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Priming w/Yellow

Bill Welch

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Welch

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 06:53 PM, Bill Welch wrote:

Bill Welch

Moderators, I notice the photos I posted with this message seem to have disappeared.

Bill Welch

Eric Hansmann

I’ve noticed the same on other messages here.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Sent: Friday, March 20, 2020 2:12 PM

Bill Welch

Moderators, I notice the photos I posted with this message seem to have disappeared.

Bill Welch

Dave Parker

I think Bill's pix are still in the stream of emailed photos (see Photos on the groups.io page).  Bu they no longer seem to be attached to his original message, or this thread.

????
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Eric and Bill,

I've never had a problem adding jpeg images, but it didn't work with tiff format.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 3:22 PM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

I’ve noticed the same on other messages here.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Sent: Friday, March 20, 2020 2:12 PM

Bill Welch

Bill Welch