Topics

The Great Yellow Fleet


Alexander Schneider Jr
 

I purchased this book on eBay, and discovered that pages 163 thru 170 repeat. Presumably two sheets each containing these pages were laid over each other and folded, cut and sewn into a signature and bound. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Other than that, it's an interesting book and answers at least some of my questions about refrigerator cars. I read in previous posts that it contains some significant errors in the later chapters, and would appreciate any comments what are the major misstatements.

Thanks.

Alex Schneider


ed_mines
 

I found the same thing in the book Men of Erie published just after WWII.

I hope you didn't pay full price for that book. there are better ones on the market.


Tony Thompson
 

Alex Schneider wrote:

Other than that, it's an interesting book and answers at least some of my questions about refrigerator cars. I read in previous posts that it contains some significant errors in the later chapters, and would appreciate any comments what are the major misstatements.

    The problem in the book is that the publisher, Donald Duke, Intruded himself into the book, adding "more modern" material,especially photos, often with erroneous or laughable captions. He didn't get an okay from the author to do so, nor did he check with anyone knowledgeable (imagining himself to be that person). So the farther you go in the book, the less you can trust what you see, particularly photo captions. I can supply citations of the some scathing reviews of the book at the time it came out, if you like.

Tony Thompson




Allen Cain
 

Mine was did not have that problem.

Attached are the scans of your missing pages.  Not my best scanning job but hope it helps fill in the gaps.

Allen Cain


Ryan Laroche
 

Tony Thompson wrote:
 I can supply citations of the some scathing reviews of the book at the time it came out, if you like.
I for one would be very interested.

Thanks either way,
Ryan Laroche
Red Deer County, AB


Tony Thompson
 

Ryan Laroche wrote:

Tony Thompson wrote:
 I can supply citations of the some scathing reviews of the book at the time it came out, if you like.

I for one would be very interested.

       Richard Hendrickson reviewed White's book in the old _Santa Fe Modeler_ magazine of the Santa Fe Modelers Organization, in the spring 1987 issue, pp. 24-26; I reviewed it in _The Streamliner_ magazine, the UPHS publication, in the October 1986 issue, pp. 36, 37.
        I don't know whether either one is available on line.

Tony Thompson




Ryan Laroche
 

Tony, 

Thank you, I will seek out both of those issues. 

I was able to find some of your's and Richard's comments in the list archive. Its good to know which parts are more accurate then others. The book still has a place on my bookshelf next to later and dare I say better resources.

Ryan


Tony Thompson
 

Ryan Laroche wrote:

I was able to find some of your's and Richard's comments in the list archive. Its good to know which parts are more accurate then others. The book still has a place on my bookshelf next to later and dare I say better resources.

     John White's historical writing is simply excellent, and in TGYF the text, at least prior to 1930, is entirely reliable.(For later years, Duke even added text.)  But Duke added a lot of the photos throughout the book and wrote the captions, so unfortunately you cannot necessarily trust ANY figure caption in the book.
      It's too bad, as this book would be a great resource if done as John White intended. OTOH, as Duke perceived, it would have had lesser sales appeal if it tapered off in the 1920s, which is where White's personal interests tapered off.

Tony Thompson