Topics

Walthers #932-5850 Single Sheathed Auto boxcar #932-5850

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

Hello folks,

    Does anyone here know the prototype for Walthers #932-5850 series 50 ft. Auto box? Also,
if a prototype(s) is known how does the accuracy of the model stack up?

Thanks for any enlightenment on this model, Don Valentine

Barry Bennett

Don

If my recollection is correct I seem to remember that the major criticism was that the opening end doors have no frame, but are hinged directly to the side panels, presuming that this the same model.

Barry Bennett, UK.

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 at 11:33, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io <riverman_vt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello folks,

    Does anyone here know the prototype for Walthers #932-5850 series 50 ft. Auto box? Also,
if a prototype(s) is known how does the accuracy of the model stack up?

Thanks for any enlightenment on this model, Don Valentine

Benjamin Hom

Don Valentine asked:
"Does anyone here know the prototype for Walthers #932-5850 series 50 ft. Auto box? Also, if a prototype(s) is known how does the accuracy of the model stack up?"

Check the group archives as this model has been discussed before.  Long story short, Walthers quickly tooled this model to compete with MDC's much supeior and accurate line of 50 ft SS auto boxcars.  It really doesn't really model any prototype, with the end door being particularly bad with its giant hinges that stick out on the sides of the car.  See Richard Hendrickson's articles in the July 1995 and July 1996 issues of Railmodel Journal for more information.

Ben Hom

Bill Welch

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 07:33 AM, Donald B. Valentine wrote:
Hello folks,

    Does anyone here know the prototype for Walthers #932-5850 series 50 ft. Auto box?
Don Valentine
In a word: Rubbish

Sorry to disappoint. . .
Bill Welch

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

I asked:
  "Does anyone here know the prototype for Walthers #932-5850 series 50 ft. Auto box?"
  And Bill Welch replied:
"In a word: Rubbish. Sorry to disappoint" . .

    And Ben Hom was Kind enough to pointout the two articles from Richard Hendrickson in the
July 1996 and July 1997 issues of RMJ, the first dealing with the similar MDC model and the
latter the Walthers version. Fortunately I had long since photocopied both articles and placed
them in protective sleeves in three ring binders that I use for such things so both are here at
hand. I was hoping that some new or additional information on the Walthers version in
particular migh have been unearthed in the last 26 years but perhaps not.

   In all due respect, Bill, iyour response didn't disappoint me. You simply summed up your feelings
in one word the way I've been known to do myself on more than one occasion. If one were to use
the end door supplied with the Walthers kit without considerably reworking it I'd have to agree but
if one can find a prototype and use the Walthers car with two standard ends "rubbish" might be a
bit strong. Clearly I have some more research to do but thanks to both of you for your replies.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Bill Welch

Even rubbish can have utility. The fishbelly centersill was used for this model.

Bill Welch

O Fenton Wells

Very nicely done Bill
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Steve and Barb Hile

A long, long time ago, I addressed this issue by shortening the Walthers car to 40 feet and using the auto door end from a Funaro & Carmelengo kit, since it came with a spare end, anyway.  The result was pretty reasonable.

Steve Hile