WFEX 1201-1202 freight reefers

spsalso

Edited

I was just poking around in early WFEX history, in the ORER's.

In both my January 1939 and my April 1941, I found these two cars, listed as freight reefers, not express.  They are interesting, I think.

OL                    50'-8"
IL                      44'

EXH                 17'-3 5/16"

Door width      4'
Door height     10'-6"

Cu Ft               3848

Capy                80,000

I did a quick search on this list and on the GN one, and found nothing.

The cars do not appear in my July 1945 ORER, though there ARE other interesting nominal 50 footers.

Any thoughts on these giants?

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Bill Welch

Most likely two of their Express Reefers in freight service for whatever reason at the time.

Bill Welch

spsalso

Bill,

That was my first thought, but the cars are several feet taller, and have 10'-6" (I corrected my earlier statement that the doors were 10' tall) tall doors.  Ain't no express reefers like that.  These were very tall cars.  They exceeded current Plate F heights.

It's almost like they had some very tall (and somewhat narrow) things to load that needed refrigeration.  And a likely limited routing.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 03:15 PM, Bill Welch wrote:
Most likely two of their Express Reefers in freight service for whatever reason at the time.

Bill Welch

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

    Out of curiosity alone I looked for these cars in my July 1947 ORER and, like you,  found them gone by that time.
So I looked at the WFE and BREX rosters to see if they had anything similar, which they didn't. I had also look over
my Athearn FOBX #4156 which is listed but has nowhere near the height of your two odd balls. With no similar cars
listed for the related companies I went back and looked at the January 1938 ORER and found both listed there and
just as you described them. Sorry I can't offer any ore on these tow strange cars.

    Speaking of the Athearn FOBX #4156 does anyone know where Fruit Growers Express used these cars and who
they served? Fruit Growers was a large operator in New England, especially on the New Haven, so I bought it some
time ago to add variety to a reefer block.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Tim O'Connor

Were they anything like the W&R models?

https://brasstrains.sirv.com/products/079574/0795740102.jpg

On 4/6/2020 9:30 PM, Donald B. Valentine via groups.io wrote:
    Out of curiosity alone I looked for these cars in my July 1947 ORER and, like you,  found them gone by that time.
So I looked at the WFE and BREX rosters to see if they had anything similar, which they didn't. I had also look over
my Athearn FOBX #4156 which is listed but has nowhere near the height of your two odd balls. With no similar cars
listed for the related companies I went back and looked at the January 1938 ORER and found both listed there and
just as you described them. Sorry I can't offer any ore on these tow strange cars.

    Speaking of the Athearn FOBX #4156 does anyone know where Fruit Growers Express used these cars and who
they served? Fruit Growers was a large operator in New England, especially on the New Haven, so I bought it some
time ago to add variety to a reefer block.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Sterling, Massachusetts

spsalso

Don,

I'm curious.  What's an Athearn FOBX #4156?  Maybe some kind of link, or something?

I see your 1938 ORER preceeds mine--good to know.

They don't show in my July 1945, although there ARE other interesting critters.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Ed

Edward Sutorik

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 06:30 PM, Donald B. Valentine wrote:
[...]

Tim,

They were much taller than those cars.

And, to head off possible suggestions, they had ice bunkers at the ends, so were unlikely to have got raised tops for that purpose.

I will succumb to my temptation, and suggest they were used for transporting potted trees.  Small-ish ones.  Something 10' tall, 3-4' wide, doesn't like warm temperatures?

If you've got an alternate load, I'm interested.  Sure weren't used for apples.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 06:57 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

[...]

Jim Betz

Ed,
  Perhaps  for company ice service?  As in moving big blocks of ice
from source (lake) to icing facilities?
  Or as experiment that was used for a few years but didn't really work?
                                                                                      - Jim

vapeurchapelon

Hello Tim,

FWIW, these models didn't come from W&R but Shoreham Shops instead.

Many greetings

Johannes