From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 12:59 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Adding some color to the fright car roster UP #57068

In an effort to add more color to my fleet I have revised a P2K flat car from black to the UP.  I have liked this car since I saw Bob Smaus version in MR a few years ago.  Then Ted's vol IV of Prototype Railroad Modeling highlighted these cars so off I went.  I modeled this as a 1951 repaint so no white lettering and used Ted's excellent decals.

This is my first use of the new Kadee flat car brake wheel and stem.  It is excellent and I highly recommend it.

I didn't put this on the resin builder site as it is a plastic car. Not sure where it goes, so here I am

Bob Webber

It's not a freight car per se - it shows as a passenger car on the AAR classifications.  Having said that, my understanding is that any head end car - combine, baggage, express, mail, milk, etc. were fair game (here).

At 01:11 PM 4/10/2020, Nelson Moyer wrote:
You could post it to the plasticfreightcarbuilders group. They’ve been pretty quiet lately, except for the slap on the wrist I got for posting a coach-baggage combine moments ago. It is a NKP Car Co. hybrid brass-resin-plastic (mostly plastic) kit with brass sides, so I went with plastic because there was more plastic than resin. It raised the question, is a combine a freight car since it carries the markers on mixed FREIGHT trains and carries baggage and express packages? I’m curious what the sages in this group will opine.

Nelson Moyer

In an effort to add more color to my fleet I have revised a P2K flat car from black to the UP.  I have liked this car since I saw Bob Smaus version in MR a few years ago.  Then Ted's vol IV of Prototype Railroad Modeling highlighted these cars so off I went.  I modeled this as a 1951 repaint so no white lettering and used Ted's excellent decals.
This is my first use of the new Kadee flat car brake wheel and stem.  It is excellent and I highly recommend it.
I didn't put this on the resin builder site as it is a plastic car. Not sure where it goes, so here I am

Bob Webber

Todd Sullivan

Ooooh, what a nice looking car!  I'll have to do one myself, methinks.  Thanks for sharing!

Todd Sullivan

Lester Breuer

Excellent build Fenton.   Thanks for sharing.

Lester Breuer

Donald B. Valentine

    NIce touch with the replaced plamnk, Fenton. I've done that for years with box car and reefer sheathing.
No reason not to apply the same technique here. Your comment about white lettering raises a question,
however. When di the UP change from white to tellow freight car lettering? That's something I need to pay
more attention to with a cut-off date of 31 Dec. 1948, a eriod of many such chanes.

Cordially, Don Valentine

gtws00

That car really turned out nice.
George Toman

O Fenton Wells

I believe it was 1947

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Mark Vinski

Nice job on the car Fenton. Where did you get the Kadee brake wheel? I can't find it on their site. I wonder if making that part means a flatcar model is in the works.

Mark Vinski

O Fenton Wells

Mark, you will have to wait for Kadee to open back up after the virus subsided. Then call them and ask for Sam and he will sell you some. They are excellent and come in one piece, wheel and stem altogether
Fenton

On Apr 11, 2020, at 2:54 AM, mvlandsw <mvlandsw@...> wrote:

Nice job on the car Fenton. Where did you get the Kadee brake wheel? I can't find it on their site. I wonder if making that part means a flatcar model is in the works.

Mark Vinski

O Fenton Wells

Thanks for the nice comments Mark and everyone
Fenton

On Apr 11, 2020, at 9:06 AM, Srrfan1401 <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Mark, you will have to wait for Kadee to open back up after the virus subsided. Then call them and ask for Sam and he will sell you some. They are excellent and come in one piece, wheel and stem altogether
Fenton

On Apr 11, 2020, at 2:54 AM, mvlandsw <mvlandsw@...> wrote:

Nice job on the car Fenton. Where did you get the Kadee brake wheel? I can't find it on their site. I wonder if making that part means a flatcar model is in the works.

Mark Vinski

John Barry

Fenton,

That's a scary good build. Don't you just hate the spell checker? Your subject line is Freudian......

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Saturday, April 11, 2020, 09:09:21 AM EDT, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Thanks for the nice comments Mark and everyone
Fenton

On Apr 11, 2020, at 9:06 AM, Srrfan1401 <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Mark, you will have to wait for Kadee to open back up after the virus subsided. Then call them and ask for Sam and he will sell you some. They are excellent and come in one piece, wheel and stem altogether
Fenton

On Apr 11, 2020, at 2:54 AM, mvlandsw <mvlandsw@...> wrote:

Nice job on the car Fenton. Where did you get the Kadee brake wheel? I can't find it on their site. I wonder if making that part means a flatcar model is in the works.

Mark Vinski

Ryan Mendell

Looks great Fenton.  I have one of these in my stash and a set of Teds decals.  Did you add any weights or is the car weight ok out of the box?

Ryan

On Apr 10, 2020, at 1:59 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

In an effort to add more color to my fleet I have revised a P2K flat car from black to the UP.  I have liked this car since I saw Bob Smaus version in MR a few years ago.  Then Ted's vol IV of Prototype Railroad Modeling highlighted these cars so off I went.  I modeled this as a 1951 repaint so no white lettering and used Ted's excellent decals.
This is my first use of the new Kadee flat car brake wheel and stem.  It is excellent and I highly recommend it.
I didn't put this on the resin builder site as it is a plastic car. Not sure where it goes, so here I am

Attachments:

O Fenton Wells

I added some sheet lead in 4 places to get it's weight up.  I think I added about 3 oz but didn't put it on the scale yet.
Fenton

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 9:43 AM Ryan Mendell <ryan.mendell@...> wrote:
[...]

Michael Gross

Lovely build, and I appreciate the "heads-up" concerning the Kadee upright brake wheel.  Love its delicacy.
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Michael, Stay safe during this time.
Fenton

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 12:11 PM Michael Gross <ActorMichaelGross@...> wrote:
Lovely build, and I appreciate the "heads-up" concerning the Kadee upright brake wheel.  Love its delicacy.
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Dick Harley

Very nice model, Fenton.  Always good to see a UP car modeled well.

I have a couple minor nits to pick, that I expect very few people to know.
First, the UP began putting the solid journal Repack data in an elongated UP shield stencil starting in January 1951, so your car should have that stencil.  It is on the Speedwitch decal sheet, but starts in 1953.  The little square on the left side is for cars with mechanical journal lubricators.
Second, the reweigh station symbol of "KR" (for Kemmerer, WY according to Richard Hendrickson) Is one I don't ever recall seeing on a UP freight car.  Kemmerer is listed as having a track scale in 1951, but I have no idea if it was used for determining LT WT on freight cars.  I have not talked to Ted about why it is on his decal sheet or if he has a photo.
Perhaps Frank Peacock or other knowledgable UP freight car person could comment about UP reweigh stations.

Much more info on painting and lettering UP freight cars is on my SmugMug site, though I now see that I apparently have not posted a list of common UP reweigh stations - need to do that.
https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/UP-PLN-FRT

You are right about the date for the change to all Armour Yellow lettering - July 1947.
And you picked a good car number.  That car kept its original car number and stayed in standard service until it was retired in 1982.

Thanks for sharing.

Stay Safe & Healthy,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA