AFE building NP car from LV Car

Hudson Leighton

A 1920 Northern Pacific Railway AFE  5005-20 which calls for using LV (Lehigh Valley?) car as parts source for NP water car.

There is a prototype for anything.

-Hudson

Brian Carlson

Hey, they paid the Valley for it so might as well get some use out of it.

Brian J. Carlson

On Apr 10, 2020, at 3:29 PM, Hudson Leighton <hudsonl@...> wrote:

A 1920 Northern Pacific Railway AFE  5005-20 which calls for using LV (Lehigh Valley?) car as parts source for NP water car.

There is a prototype for anything.

-Hudson
<5005-20.pdf>

Richard Townsend

Somewhere in my files I have AFEs from the C&S for converting or repairing (and keeping) wrecked cars from the PRR and Erie. Railroads were pretty skilled at squeezing out whatever value they were able to find in salvage.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

A 1920 Northern Pacific Railway AFE  5005-20 which calls for using LV (Lehigh Valley?) car as parts source for NP water car.

There is a prototype for anything.

-Hudson

Tony Thompson

Hudson Leighton wrote:

A 1920 Northern Pacific Railway AFE  5005-20 which calls for using LV (Lehigh Valley?) car as parts source for NP water car.

There is a prototype for anything.

         Actually, I think you need to rephrase that. There certainly is a prototype for a lot of odd things, but hardly "anything." And I will repeat my own personal mantra, that it's wise to model the typical and the commonplace, and restrain your modeler's joy in modeling the weird, the rare, and the one-off. That is, of course, if you are seeking to model reality.

Tony Thompson

Benjamin Hom

Tony Thompson wrote:
"There certainly is a prototype for a lot of odd things, but hardly 'anything.' And I will repeat my own personal mantra, that it's wise to model the typical and the commonplace, and restrain your modeler's joy in modeling the weird, the rare, and the one-off. That is, of course, if you are seeking to model reality."

"Modeling all of the exceptions does not make an exceptional layout." - John Nehrich

Ben Hom

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

Hello Brian,

   Good to see that you are back with us!

My best, Don Valentine

william darnaby

Some 40 years ago at an NMRA regional convention clinic Tony Koester remarked that “there is a prototype for everything but I reserve the right to laugh”.  For some reason that has stuck with me.

Bill Darnaby