Question re: upcoming Rapido USRA DS box

spsalso

I'm going through my Rapido pre-orders, and trimming those that look like they might have problems.

I just examined the photo Rapido has posted:

https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/freight-cars/ho-scale-usra-double-sheathed-wood-boxcar

here's an enlargement:

https://rapidotrains.com/sites/default/files/dlw.jpg

I noticed that the rungs of the corner ladders line up towards the top, but they become more out of alignment as they go towards the bottom.  We all know that's a BIG no-no.  Before I cancel, I thought I'd ask if anyone has heard that this will be corrected in the final product.  I DO want these.  I've ordered 16.  But I surely don't want to have to deal with fixing that ladder alignment.

Anyone know?

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Randy Hammill

I would guess Rapido would know. Have you checked with them? They have email and are on Facebook too. Bill Schneider might see this and reply too.

It is a hand-finished pre-production sample, and depending on how early in the process is probably from 3D-printed masters. But it is worth telling them sooner rather than later, because if it's not altered in the CAD prior to cutting tooling, then it's much more expensive to fix.

Randy

Randy Hammill
Prototype Junction
http://prototypejunction.com

Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954
http://newbritainstation.com

spsalso

Randy,

I have not checked with Rapido.  I thought that perhaps something so obvious would have already been discussed here, and I had missed it.

Assuming that turns out to be true, based on yours and any other responses, I will indeed message Rapido on the matter.

I was very impressed when they dumped the cast plastic grabs on the NP box, and replaced them with wire.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Robert kirkham

Putting aside thoughts about accurate modelling, it looks to me as if straight (not drop) grabs in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th from bottom positions on the side would remedy the problem.

Rob

I have not checked with Rapido.  I thought that perhaps something so obvious would have already been discussed here, and I had missed it.

Assuming that turns out to be true, based on yours and any other responses, I will indeed message Rapido on the matter.

I was very impressed when they dumped the cast plastic grabs on the NP box, and replaced them with wire.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

bill woelfel

The Rapido newsletter dated April 3rd says the cars should be here sometime in May so I guess they they have left the factory already. There is a pic of an SP&S car and the ladders/grabs match. The car pictured  on the website is a DL&W car and  the grabs are out of line. I've got some on order also (ATSF) and just gonna wait it out.   Bill W

spsalso

I probably have $1000 worth of Rapido Alcos at my local shop, waiting to be picked up.  And I am not looking forward to the conversation about those.

I suspect "waiting it out" is something I will not want to do.  Again.

I will write to Rapido on Monday, and try to get an answer on this.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 07:51 PM, bill woelfel wrote:
The Rapido newsletter dated April 3rd says the cars should be here sometime in May so I guess they they have left the factory already. There is a pic of an SP&S car and the ladders/grabs match. The car pictured  on the website is a DL&W car and  the grabs are out of line. I've got some on order also (ATSF) and just gonna wait it out.   Bill W

Amen. Not happy about no FBs to go with my MP FPA/FA-2s.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Apr 11, 2020, at 10:23 PM, spsalso via groups.io <Edwardsutorik@...> wrote:

I probably have $1000 worth of Rapido Alcos at my local shop, waiting to be picked up.  And I am not looking forward to the conversation about those.

I suspect "waiting it out" is something I will not want to do.  Again.

I will write to Rapido on Monday, and try to get an answer on this.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 07:51 PM, bill woelfel wrote:
The Rapido newsletter dated April 3rd says the cars should be here sometime in May so I guess they they have left the factory already. There is a pic of an SP&S car and the ladders/grabs match. The car pictured  on the website is a DL&W car and  the grabs are out of line. I've got some on order also (ATSF) and just gonna wait it out.   Bill W

Charlie Duckworth

Rapido told me that the B units will be here in May.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

David

The end ladder is correct; it's the three side grabs that are too low.

David Thompson

Bill Schneider

Ed,

That's an early pre-production piece hand-assembled and painted. WIth the mess right now we don;t have an active web master to update the image. Production shot attached.

Bill Schneider

spsalso

Bill,

Thank you for the newer photo.  After comparing the two for awhile, I saw that the spacing of the side rungs on the early one was uneven, with the lower two rungs close together.

I am indeed glad this was caught and corrected.  I am looking forward to them.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Bill Welch

Still not seeing the eave boards along the top of the sides.

Bill Welch

Eric Hansmann

Bill W,

I understand those were a later addition. The Rapido models reflect many as-Built characteristics of the prototypes.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Apr 12, 2020, at 10:23 AM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Still not seeing the eave boards along the top of the sides.

Bill Welch
<SP_S 10078 USRA boxcar.tiff>

Jack Mullen

Bill,
As-Built, the metal roofing just wraps over the top of the sides. No fascia. Presence of a fascia indicates a replacement roof, and at that point various owners' choices diverge, and other mods may also appear.

Jack Mullen

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

     I've yet to see eave boards on a "as built", Bill. Can you provide photos of any "as builts" with
them on the car? Can they not be added quite easily with a piece of Evergreen strip? I'm picky ,
too, but when a product is offered the way the original version was built and it is advertized in this
case as as a USRA Double Sheathed, NOT as a MODIFIED USRA double sheathed, how can I
complain? I still prefer the Ertl model as they are usually three for the price of one new Rapido
and I still feel that operating doors on injection molded box car models in HO scale ought to br
mandatory but that's my gripe, not everyone elses! Just saw too many empties rolling even into
the 1980's with their doors wide open and still vividly remember passing a northbound freight
paralleling I-5 somewhere north of Fresno in Aug. 1982 with three kids sitting in a boxcar with
their feet hanging out and a dog sitting there with them. How are you going to model that in any
time period if the darn door won't open???

Happy Easter, Don Valentine

Richard Wilkens

Here is a very early photo of SP&S 10092 C.T., probably shortly after being built.

Rich Wilkens

Dave Parker

I can only speak top the B&M's USRA DS cars.

I have the builder's photo from 1919 -- no fascia.

I have a photo with a 1934 reweigh date and pretty fresh paint.  It has a fascia board.  Tempting to assume it has been re-roofed, but it's still Murphy.

I have two 1946-47 photos, both with the fascia boards, still with Murphy roofs. Both have the Minutemen herald (rolled out in the summer of 1946), AB brakes, and Ajax hand brakes.

In between the last two photos, ca. 1939-40, the reporting mark would have changed (from B&M to BM).

So, with the B&M cars, the very best that that a single RTR model could do would be to accurately represent maybe a decade (or less).  Unfortunately the Rapido model doesn't seem to represent any particular reality.  It lacks the fascia board, and has a stemwinder in conjunction with AB brakes.  The paint scheme is1946+, but the original 500 cars were down to 24 cars by 1950, and 4 by 1954.   So the Rapido car might be useful as a fleet builder, if one is not too fussy about prototypical accuracy, and if you model ca.1946-49.

This is why I don't too excited when new releases of RTR cars are announced.  YMMV of course.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Bill Keene

This sounds like a good reason to pick up a number of undec cars, re-detail them along with painting and lettering. At least the starting point is good.

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 02:44 PM, Bill Keene wrote:
This sounds like a good reason to pick up a number of undec cars, re-detail them along with painting and lettering. At least the starting point is good.
Except that it's really, really easy to over-represent the USRA cars if you are trying to build a prototypically accurate fleet.  In 1935 (my year of interest), only one in  ~16 B&M box cars was a USRA car.  It's the other 15 cars that pose the challenge.

I don't think  the percentages are much more favorable on any other road.  Remember, we are talking about 100,000 TOTAL cars (box, hopper, gon).

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Bill Welch

Edited

Not sure why I would care about an as-built car Don when I am modeling 1955.

Also regarding the TH&B cars, after they were acquired from the parent New York Central they were rebuilt. This included re-fitting with what appears to be wood doors from the 50-ton SS USRA cars and the ladders had what I would describe as stiles applied to the sides with the drop grabs then re-installed on these stiles. The Rapido illustration does not as yet reflect these changes. The aforementioned facia boards are not shown either. Also keep in mind there were only two cars in the flashy Yellow & Black scheme.

Bill Welch