June 1941. "Railroad yards. Milwaukee, WI

Hudson Leighton <hudsonl@...>

John Larkin

That shot highlights 3 Milwaukee boxcars with 3 different paint schemes.  I'm not a Milwaukee expert by any means but the cars appear to be built to the same plan.  That's one of the best pix I've ever seen illustrating how paint schemes can vary on what appears to be identical cars.

John Larkin

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 12:09:21 PM CDT, Hudson Leighton <hudsonl@...> wrote:

Paul Krueger

I can't read the numbers on the other cars clearly, but the closest two were built as auto cars with end doors, 205800-206199.

Most of this series was listed as XM cars in 1935, but about 64 were listed as XA cars with the end doors permanently closed. Interesting that one has a steel roof and the other doesn't.

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

John Barry

Also of note is the URTX meat reefer marked for Dubuque Packing Company.  What color is that, orange?  Very different from the adjacent Northern Refrigerator to the right or the Milwaukee branded car to the left.  And the dark lettering contrasts with the white seen on the tonally similar MILW boxes in the forground.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 02:03:13 PM EDT, John Larkin via groups.io <jflarkingrc@...> wrote:

That shot highlights 3 Milwaukee boxcars with 3 different paint schemes.  I'm not a Milwaukee expert by any means but the cars appear to be built to the same plan.  That's one of the best pix I've ever seen illustrating how paint schemes can vary on what appears to be identical cars.

John Larkin

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 12:09:21 PM CDT, Hudson Leighton <hudsonl@...> wrote:

Douglas Harding

Just about all meat packers used leased reefers from the 30s on. Those reefers could have the meat packers reporting marks or could have the reporting marks of the owner. Union Refrigeration, General American, Mather, North American were all major players in the leased meat reefer market. Even companies that had their own reporting marks, also used reefers with the owner’s reporting marks and the meat packers name or logo.

Dubuque, leased from several companies, including both Union Refrigeration and General American. I don’t have a color photo of a Dubuque meat reefer in the P/L as shown in the photo. But I do have a b/w photo, see attached.

URTX cars tended to be more orange, which can be verified by looking through Gene Green’s Refrigerator Color Guide by Morning Sun. This book has the later Dubuque scheme, but not the earlier P/L as seen in the 1941 MILW yard photo.

Railway Prototype Cyclopedia #14 has photos of General American Meat reefers, including a photo of  car leased to Dubuque on p. 90. It is not lettered for Dubuque and has URTX reporting marks. Remember General American purchased Union Refrigeration in 1929.

Note the color variations on the two MDT reefers just beyond the Northern Refrigerator Car Co reefer.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

Kirk Reddie

Great photo!
My guess is the 2nd to the left is the earliest scheme (1928-- out of receivership), the one on the left is next. I think this scheme was used in 1934, at least with car 714305-- the round roof rebuild). I think the car third to the left is in the 1937+ scheme... though I'm not sure as I thought this was the scheme for 40' and 50' XA double door cars. But it would be a repaint so maybe they were more flexible on repaints, especially old double sheathed cars.

I have no idea what to think about the roofs. They could have been built by different builders... the 1928 single sheathed cars had quite a few builders.. and maybe they are original. But the one on the left, in my eyes, matches the roofs of cars farther to the right... but the 2 cars to the immediate right look like old pre-batton roofs? I don't usually care much about all the minitua but the roofs are quite noticiable.

Now I see vertical break wheels on both types of roofs. But the 'roofwalks' on the ends of the running boards look different for each style?

I only know this from having an NTRAK module at the Tacoma mall years ago... 1980s I think. It was great having Milwaukee equipment as there were a lot of ex-employees walking around. I had a bunch of ~1928 type cars that had Murphy panel roofs... which I knew was wrong for the Milwaukee but I liked them and they were close enough for me at the time. One of the passerbys was asking about the models and I told him I figured the roofs were wrong. He put out his hands that had some scars on them. He said he used to work for the MIlwaukee and had cut up his hands replacing wood roofs on Milwaukee cars with metal roofs. So I became more interested in having a variety of plausible roofs.

Looking at more running boards, to me it looks like most are wood. Even the steel ribbed car on the left hand side-- to my eyes-- has a wood running board. So the switch from metal to wood running boards on Milwaukee ribbed cars must have come quick if this shot was from June 1941.

Anyway.. inspiring image. Thanks!  --Kirk Reddie

Ted Schnepf

Hello,

Please notice the newest paint scheme with the herald (third car) still has a wood roof.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 01:03:13 PM CDT, John Larkin via groups.io <jflarkingrc@...> wrote:

That shot highlights 3 Milwaukee boxcars with 3 different paint schemes.  I'm not a Milwaukee expert by any means but the cars appear to be built to the same plan.  That's one of the best pix I've ever seen illustrating how paint schemes can vary on what appears to be identical cars.

John Larkin

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 12:09:21 PM CDT, Hudson Leighton <hudsonl@...> wrote:

John Barry

Thanks Doug,

I have a full set of the RPCs and have only begun to scratch the surface.

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights