Riding the Rods Part 2 GN 9996

Bill Welch

Here is a Great Northern truss rod boxcar inspired by a circa 1954 photo by the late Bruce Meyer built w/a Westerfield kit I ordered when Al announced he was retiring and selling his business. i ordered several kits "just in case" he did not find a buyer—Thank you Andrew Dahm! Pretty much out-of-the-box except for the scratch built Running Board system, and the brass wire and brass turnbuckles for the underframe. Decals are from the kit plus the GN medallion from a Microscale set as I wanted to exactly copy the reference photo I used. The only variance is the GN reweigh location because I could not find the "Q" I needed. Obviously need to install the brake wheel. Painted w/Badger's "Maroon Tuscan Oxide Red."

Bill Welch

Paul Doggett

Bill

Excellent as always
Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 13 Apr 2020, at 17:54, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Here is a Great Northern truss rod boxcar inspired by a circa 1954 photo by the late Bruce Meyer built w/a Westerfield kit I ordered when Al announced he was retiring and selling his business. i ordered several kits "just in case" he did not find a buyer—Thank you Andrew Dahm! Pretty much out-of-the-box except for the scratch built Running Board system, and the brass wire and brass turnbuckles for the underframe. Decals are from the kit plus the GN medallion from a Microscale set as I wanted to exactly copy the reference photo I used. The only variance is the GN reweigh location because I could not find the "Q" I needed. Obviously need to install the brake wheel. Painted w/Badger's "Maroon Tuscan Oxide Red."

Bill Welch

Attachments:

Douglas Harding

Bill did you change the lighting you shoot under? The photos look to have a purple cast to the body color. Does not look like the ModelFlex Maroon Tuscan Oxide Red that I have used.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Here is a Great Northern truss rod boxcar inspired by a circa 1954 photo by the late Bruce Meyer built w/a Westerfield kit I ordered when Al announced he was retiring and selling his business. i ordered several kits "just in case" he did not find a buyer—Thank you Andrew Dahm! Pretty much out-of-the-box except for the scratch built Running Board system, and the brass wire and brass turnbuckles for the underframe. Decals are from the kit plus the GN medallion from a Microscale set as I wanted to exactly copy the reference photo I used. The only variance is the GN reweigh location because I could not find the "Q" I needed. Obviously need to install the brake wheel. Painted w/Badger's "Maroon Tuscan Oxide Red."

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Hi Doug,

From memory it was an overcast day. I tried to play with it a  little bit in Photoshop but stopped as I did not trust my decisions. Even with my colorblindness I can see the purple but I have also seen this in prototype color photos of what I assume are faded by sun and paint failure.

Bill Welch

Richard Remiarz

Nicely done car Bill!  I also bought some of these “just in case” and have one more to build.

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Sent from Mail for Windows 10